Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=2052&start_row=21

?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 130131 - 140141 - 150151 - 156
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ark I Sent: 8/8/2007 7:52:52 PM

I almost never use the word vanity in the normal way it is used today. When I speak of vanity or vanity of vanities, I am referring to the way it is usually referred to in the bible, something that is useless and a waste of time and energy, something that bears no fruits.

My main focus with people when I reason with them is the way the Live and Think. The clothes they wear is a very minor thing to I.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 8/8/2007 8:00:58 PM

I really just cannot see what all the fuss is about

who is INI highest example for how a man should behave,act,dress, speak and Live and who is INI highest example of how a woman should behave,act,dress,speak and Live?

just curious

Rastafari Bless

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 8/8/2007 8:18:21 PM

Haile Selassie I and Empress Menen

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 8/8/2007 8:27:32 PM

NO DOUBT

Messenger: still looking Sent: 8/8/2007 9:18:44 PM

but clothes seem to be of minor importance to some and a major importance to others.....

can each be rasta?

to I----yes

Messenger: still looking Sent: 8/8/2007 9:33:28 PM

the fuss rask (so you know i'm speaking to you) is that if I daughter were to wear tight jeans you would cast judgement that no matter how good of a person she may be she is somehow lower in your moral status of what you feel is exceptable. why must my daughter continue to live her life under the mythical rules set down by men. men can walk around with their arms, legs, back, and chest showing , but a women can't? why? because men don't have the discipline to control themselves. why some men can rape a woman and get away with it because in the court room they will bring up how the woman was dressed as if that explains why she was raped.

my daughter was born with a beautiful ( and you have no idea what that means because beauty is in the eye of the beholder) body of which if she chooses to not hide it in a burlap sack because men can't handle themselves --- then that is their issue to deal with and not hers. and my daughter is my no means "vain".

we have a dress code at school and most of them are directed towards girls. Why? because they are affraid the little boys will not be able to concentrate --- you know what i say --flunk them then --they will either learn how to discipline their eyes or they can repeat the course. it is about time that we end this sexist hide the women's body crap.

if my daughter were to have a boyfriend who said to her one night when getting ready to go out on a date "you're not going out with me dressed like that." my daughter's response would be:

"oh, i'm sorry your right. i'm not going out with you dressed like this, i'm going out by myself. good by."

and i would support her 100%

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 8/8/2007 10:48:02 PM

Blessed I Ark I, alway a joy
i just wanted to ask the I a couple of follow up questions

"I am referring to the way it is usually referred to in the bible, something that is useless and a waste of time and energy, something that bears no fruits."

To this, would the i agree that it refers not only to something that "bears no fruit" but also to something that halts or stunts the growth of same said fruits?

"My main focus with people when I reason with them is the way they Live and Think"
and to this, would the i agree that "the way they live" includes everything including the way we dress, what we eat and drink,,etc?

Blessed Love
Rastafari

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 8/8/2007 11:26:37 PM

did he really say flunk them?

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 8/9/2007 12:12:31 AM

Ark I

if the first part of my question was a bit vague, what i mean is, since the I said " something useless", "useless" seems to imply something that has no consequence whether or not you do it. So i question was wouldnt you say that vanity can refer to something that is actively negative in consequence

Bless

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 8/9/2007 1:46:41 AM

Ras KebraAB, I will answer your first question and your clarification separately, because something can be said for both.

The I said,
----------
To this, would the i agree that it refers not only to something that "bears no fruit" but also to something that halts or stunts the growth of same said fruits?
----------

When people put too much of their energy and time into vanity. It takes away from energy and time that could be used to do more fruitful things. So in this way it can halt and stunt growth.

The I also said,
----------
if the first part of my question was a bit vague, what i mean is, since the I said " something useless", "useless" seems to imply something that has no consequence whether or not you do it. So i question was wouldnt you say that vanity can refer to something that is actively negative in consequence
----------

The time and energy that vanity takes away is a negative consequence.

Also, eating too much of something that is useless will lead to malnutrition. Taking too much useless foolishness into your mind will lead to malmind-condition. So there can be other negative consequences to things that are vanity.

I think something that is vanity can also be actively negative in consequences, but I wouldn't describe the actively negative consequence as vanity, but would probably use another word.

For example, it is vanity to drink poison hemlock, and it is also deadly.

But I am just describing what I mean when I say vanity. There are several definitions to that word.

The I also said,
------------
(Ras KebraAB quoting I)"My main focus with people when I reason with them is the way they Live and Think"
and to this, would the i agree that "the way they live" includes everything including the way we dress, what we eat and drink,,etc?
------------

Yes, I would agree. I reason about the benefits of certain food and drink and the negative effects of others if people want to reason about it. But the only time I would actively bring up information about something that people eat or drink is I feel that there is severe danger from it.

I don't spend a lot of time reasoning about the food people eat because people will eat what they want regardless of what I or the I think about it, and I will do the same, I will eat what I want regardless of what others think about it, unless I come to agree with their opinion. And many people live a long and relatively healthy life while eating in a way that I would never have eaten, even in the days when I ate flesh (for example, many people's almost all flesh diet), while some other people who eat so healthy die young because of sickness.

I don't think too much about the clothes people where. The main thing I suggest to people in regards to clothes, is to have at least two layers of clothing under your coat in the winter time, and make sure at least the bottom layer is tucked in.

I would agree that it is not fitting for a RastaWoman to dress in very skimpy clothing. And pants that are very tight (the ones that look like they are painted on) also don't seem to be fitting. But I would not pay any mind to pants that are slightly tight. If a RastaWoman wanted I to suggest a way to dress, I would say that the traditional way is in long dresses or skirts and wrapped up hair. And if a RastaWoman asks I if it is alright to wear pants, I would say that I have no problem with it, but other RasTafarI are more strict about it and think that a woman should not wear pants.

The part of their Life that I see as the most fruitful is the other ways they Live, the things they do and say, how they treat others, how to trod forward towards Oneness. I feel that it is natural that most Woman who trod RasTafarI seriously would lose any desire to where skimpy clothing. I don't feel the pants they wear will have any negative affect on their trod, it may only have a negative effect on how some people will perceive them.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 130131 - 140141 - 150151 - 156

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I