Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=2052&start_row=81

?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 130131 - 140141 - 150151 - 156
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: still looking Sent: 8/12/2007 7:48:23 AM

let me see if i have this all clrear

k tells me that "you (still looking) should have apologised a long time ago for all your assumptions and judgements"... so i should apologize for making JUDGEMENTS to K ---alright i see what he is saying but then...

he says to prophecy that....

"you (prophecy)still have the right to say that she still carries some sort of vanity within herself," (sounds like making a judgement doesn't it (all for wearing aaahhhhh jeans?)

ok. i've got it now -- if the judgement is made towards someone else it is ok but if it is directed at k it is not ok.

now let the debate begin -- am i "twisting" words or just showing the words that we have been given?

have a nice day k (notice i've dropped the ra.....you don't deserve the last letter)

Messenger: Ten Sent: 8/12/2007 8:23:55 AM

I'm still failing to make the connection between vainity and jeans - also jeans and royalty? It seems to I that Empress Mennen dressed the way SHE did because of the title SHE had - SHE expected to dress and behave according to a particular order for specific occassions. We must reason things out according to each context not to just say a sister is vain because she wears jeans and is wearing something trendy - you don't know her to make that judgement, its only because there's a strong anti feeling in Rastafari that make it so. If I wore a power suit on my way to a business meeting or conference - I wonder if I'd be called vain and fire would be upon I or would it be permissible and it might be said I'm reflecting the Emperor's way of dress? Fire upon I but it seems a bit shallow and double standards to say suits are alright just because Sellasie I wore them - if you overstand HE was an international statesman and dignitary and wore things according to occassion then why must fire be blazed on jeans when they might suit an occassion or a sister's personality? Can't we accept that jeans are a part of the cultural code of this time and not a measure of one's vainity. If we claim to be people of God, who are we to burn fire on others?...And before ites proceed to respond might we remember the prostitue who was humble and gracious enough to wash Jesus's feet, the beggar woman who gave the little she had and Christ accepted that.

Messenger: still looking Sent: 8/12/2007 2:16:39 PM

one of the things that i have noticed and much respected about mandela is that often he is at important meetings with european dignitaries and he is wearing his traditional african clothes --he does not bend down to the "powers" to be idea of respectful. -- the same reason i love and respect my daughter because i know she will not let any man tell her how to dress.

i don't buy that saying that says "the clothes make the "man"" (notice the saying doesn't say people or include women)

what does that do for poor people? how can they be "made" if they can't afford "nice" (whatever that means) clothes?

for I it is "actions that makes the person"

peace

Messenger: prophecy Sent: 8/12/2007 2:32:00 PM

Blessed love, I am here to get into a debate or a 10 page reasonment on this. I feel I words(if they are not to I forgive I) are twisted a little. One thing is I never used vanity out of I mouth and when I mentioned Empress Menen I was generally speaking. Unless, someone else said that wearing jeans is vain then that doesn't apply to I. But, I never said that an empress wearing jeans is vain. I said that if i see an empress wearing jeans i can reason with her, but not tell her she is not a rasta. U have ur own views, but I feel an empress should dress in loose clothng and covered up. That is how I feel and will itinually follow, but I know not all empresses do. I have an empress fren who wears jeans.
Well sistren every rasta is different. I wear skirt and covered up and if the I wear jeans doesn't make the love between I n I change. I also believe in life that there is a difference between being purged and judging, but that is another story.
I don't know who the I is I-sponding to so if this was not to I, which I feel some is, then ignore this post.
Blessed Love

Messenger: Ten Sent: 8/12/2007 2:45:33 PM

Correction I Madiba's silk shirts are not traditional Xhosa/African wear, but they are African-inspired batik designs. And just wondering about the saying "Clothes maketh the man" - Shakespeare coined this term from Merchant of Venice I think, but considering his view towards non-White people (e.g Caliban and Sycorax in The Tempest, Romeo n Juliet's reference to the Ethiopian's skin), I'm reluctant to embrace that term. And even moreso when I think of my ancestors who wore skins and reed skirts and if we go even further back to Adam and Eve who were naked and only later by accident or design realised what their bodies were...'Clothes maketh the man' is a saying that comes from a materialist society (and I mean this in the sense that material things for the basis of their philosohy), but its not a relfection of who one is - it might create an impression, but its not always an accurate one. I've met Rastas dread-full like lions and wearing Lion of Judah gear only to see them lighting up cigarettes and accepting beers from their friends.

Messenger: prophecy Sent: 8/12/2007 2:59:21 PM

Ten, does the I know where u can get real afrikan clothes? I ordered some nice dresses but they are made in India, although the site says Africa imports. Just wandering, cause I rather support the Afrikan community then some wannabe afrikan designers. Plus, I'm worried that those who made it in India is from sweatshops. Its so hard to find..

Messenger: Dominic Sent: 8/12/2007 4:03:03 PM

Yall are trippin!!!

Fussin over some bs

Messenger: Forward Live Up Sent: 8/12/2007 4:44:36 PM

No one can judge the faith of another for no man can judge the way of Sellassie I

JAH RASTAFARI

Messenger: Ten Sent: 8/12/2007 4:50:54 PM

Sister finding clothes online can be difficult unless you get the designer African clothing. Its difficult because things are not yet that technologically developed for us, but maybe in your city there are African shops where you can get different kinds of traditional dress like the West African boubous and stuff. You could also check e-bay. I'll also check online and if I find anything I'll let the I knw. Give Thanks.

Messenger: Ten Sent: 8/12/2007 4:56:51 PM

Dominic Aya your views are respected in this forum and likewise you should respect the reasonings of others, regardless of your personal feelings. There's something to be gained in every reasoning and there's no need to slam it - if you've something to say it, don't diss. Besides this space is a forum made for I n I to reason on whatever topics we feel concern us. Bless.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 130131 - 140141 - 150151 - 156

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I