Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=2052&start_row=11

?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 130131 - 140141 - 150151 - 156
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 8/8/2007 2:22:23 PM

Vanity All is vanity

"If I see an empress who wears jeans and I don't, that I don't have the right to say she is not a rasta"

True I, the I has no right to say she is not a Ras, but you still have the right to say that she still carries some sort of vanity within herself, no matter how righteous she may be, she still has not completely let go of this world of men. There is no shame in this, none of us perfect, but truth is truth
And why bring Love in this?
Vanity is a very subtle thing,more times those who carry it dont even have no idea of what they are doing and INI must be constantly vigilant against it. And vanity is not just about dress, it can creep into every sort of livity ypu can imagine (you could be a football player and exhibit vanity in your play) and its effect is always destructive The problem is that the effects are usually so far removed form the cause that it is hard for eyes to see where the problem originated from in the first place.
For a brother to tell his brother when he sees his brother exhibiting vanity, in action, or dress, or speech etc....is that not Love?

So your sistren wears tight jeans, ofcourse you are not going to stop being her sistren, ofcourse you still give her the same love from beginning. But, you can always tell her she can do better still, you can still show her that there is a higher path still, no matter how high one reaches, there is higher to go still.You dont have to be perfect, and neither does she have to be perfect in order to do the same for you, in whatever area you might be lacking. And this is not about judging, This is not about seeing the speck in anothers eyes while ignoring the plank in your own, This is about iron sharpening iron, this is about one helping one to take another forward step and letting one help you take another forward step.

Love goes without saying
INI Rastafari, INI are not here to fight against flesh and blood, Spiritual wickedness ini come to burn out

Rastafari Is

Messenger: Ten Sent: 8/8/2007 3:23:07 PM

Vainity is not only in a religious sense, it functions in many other contexts as well, but I spoke of this specifically because this is a religous forum and I was trying to connect vainity to the religious practices of people and their everyday rituals. Regarding shaving, it was in response to Ras K who had said something to the effect that it was a vain thing for a man to save his beard and look in the mirror each morning. - this was in another post, forgiveness for not quoting directly. But Ras K, could the I please cedfine what you mean by vainity cos I am baffled as to how shaving, sisters wearing jeans have to do with vainty...Another question doesn't the way one is dressed have to do with the time and place so that's why you'd wear binghi dress to the temple but to the club you'd find another person dressed in skinny jeans and a tight top. And am I getting this vibe right that there is a privileging of garments - a long flowing garment is considered royal but a pair of skinny jeans is looked down on?

Messenger: prophecy Sent: 8/8/2007 3:31:54 PM

yes Ras Kebre, well spoken, give thanx

Messenger: Forward Live Up Sent: 8/8/2007 4:06:56 PM

Ises giive thanks

In this hour it come due to pray and ididate to ask for the heart to be answered. Many things a revealed to one I is for the I sight, seen.
do not think what you will eat, or what you will drink, not even the clothes to be worn
Seek ye first the Kingdom of JAH and his righteousness
and all these things shall be added unto you. Selah.

Sellassie I live

Messenger: Osiris Sent: 8/8/2007 4:30:39 PM

Yes Forward Live Up,
Well spoken words to Iditate upon!
As to observing the vanity of others. Ones have to sight these matters very humbly, as vanity is something that affects many of us in one way or another.
Better to purge vanity from one's own being completely first, then there is no doubt one will see the truth in these matters.

"And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?"
Matthew 7:3

Messenger: Ten Sent: 8/8/2007 5:00:14 PM

But how can we speak of vainity as though we all understand what it means, its not a universally accepted term - can it be defined first before we assume we're all on the same page.

Messenger: Osiris Sent: 8/8/2007 5:42:08 PM

My definition of vanity: Excessive pride to the point of futility.
This may be a very simplified definition, but it's a good starting point.
What does vanity mean to Sistren Ten?

Bless

Messenger: Ten Sent: 8/8/2007 5:47:03 PM

Give thanks for I, its basic too: an excessive love of the self and it is a materialistic love that is worthless.

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 8/8/2007 6:51:51 PM

Give thanks sis Prophecy

glad to know someone listening

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 8/8/2007 7:21:59 PM

focusing upon Me instead of upon I. that would be one way to define vanity. I hope no Ras needs an explanation on what i mean by this.

in another sense, people always think that Pride is the opposite of Humility, but vanity can also be seen as the opposite of humilty. I guess i can try explain this by asking
Siddharta the Buddha gave up his riches and his royalty and picked up a begging bowl
In Ithiopia, when young monks are starting their training, all their possessions are taken and for a couple or so years they are expected to use only their begging bowls to survive.
Guess why?

Spirituality is a hard road to walk and it is amazing how quickly weakness can slip into your livity without you even realising unless you are constantly on guard.
Look at shaving, there was once a time when the freaky greeks were considered peculiar for their shaving. Today i have to explain iself for burning it out, to Rasta people no less
Instead people mistake I for Fidel Castro, as if i am saying i would like to see shaving become against the law of the country.hehehe

Blessed I
Apologies, i know i am being a bit "all over the place" right now, but i am tired

Rastafari Love

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 130131 - 140141 - 150151 - 156

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I