Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5914&start_row=51

Caucasians becoming rastafari

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 130131 - 140141 - 150151 - 160161 - 166
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Humble one Sent: 1/11/2015 9:38:19 AM

Is it OK for you to say "White people have everything" because you are black?

I want you to imagine for a second that you were born with white skin. Would you still think of ALL white people as ungreatful, over priviledged even if you yourself were not those things?

And all that I have told on this forum is that I have a different skin tone. How can from this you draw that I have a surname and other "White priviledges" Do you think that there are no exceptions to this anywhere in the world?

---------------------

Talking about priviledge, I can tell you one priviledge that people with black skin seem to have on this forum; they are immidiately accepted whereas a person with white skin is not.

I try to follow the teaching of his Majesty, and there is absolutely no doubt that he opposed racism.

All the best,

Joe

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/11/2015 9:46:21 AM

Yes. Rastafari extends open arms to Africans which seek consciousness and their roots.

Given the global nature of white supremacy, I would argue there are no exceptions to white privilege.

It's not a personal thing.

And I say all of that in full opposition to racism. It's not racist to state Rastafari is about black redemption. It is not racist to chant Africa for Africans at home and abroad. I don't cite Marcus as racist. Il ask again, do you disagree that the teachings of Marcus Garvey are a vital part of this trod?

Your a young Englishman right?

re: an English perspective

Messenger: Humble one Sent: 1/11/2015 10:20:15 AM

Dear Garveys Africa,

Firstly, you recognized the fact that I am English and then posted the video and said "RE: English perspective." I told you I am English. Do you think that all English people have the same perspective?

Secondly, you asked about if I thought Marcus Garvey was not important in the trod.

Yes, I think he is. I do not oppose black people that wish to return to the homeland of Africa.

When ShivaJiva said "White people have everything, so let us have this", referring to a "Black space" I am not going to stop her from having a black space, but I have the problem with the first bit "White people have everything". Huge generalization because there will be SOME excepetion some place in the world.

----------------------------------------------

And I also ask you, do you think Haile Selassie I had no importance in the trod? he clearly opposed racial discrimination.

There is a difference between black reparation and complete generalizations on ALL white people, ie "an english perspective".

For example, one black person make think one thing radically different from another. Would you be happy if I posted a video saying "A black perspective"; surely not they all think the same?

All the best,

Joe

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/11/2015 10:24:25 AM

re:an english perspective. I gave you the perspective of an acclaimed black 'british' Empress to explain white privilege from an ENGLISH PERSPECTIVE. CLEARLY you have taken the time and watched........

It's clear your definitions are a little muddled up. Again, your young, and Im sure these topics will continue to resurface. Haile Selassie is ALL for black redemption and liberation, and no he isn't a racist. This is my stance. I will also say if all you know of GARVEY is about repatriation then again...... It makes the reasoning difficult because our overstandings are at two complete different places.

For all else interested....

DR LEZ HENRY
- A RastafarI author who has vast amount of knowledge of this subject

He has a book name 'Whiteness made simple' a must read for anyone in my opinion before commenting on the subject from rasta point of view

If you do not understand white supremacy (racism)—what it is and how it works—everything else you know will only confuse you.
-Neely Fuller

Messenger: Humble one Sent: 1/11/2015 10:33:05 AM

I have NO problem with black redemption and liberation.

And I know that Haile Selassie I was all for it.

He was not all for prejudice though. Eg "White people have everything".

All the best,

Joe

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/11/2015 10:39:18 AM

What don't white people have?

Messenger: Humble one Sent: 1/11/2015 10:49:15 AM

Many white people do not have consciousness. Many do not have a deep understanding of themselves. But this isn't the case for every white person.

And White people clearly don't have the immediate acceptance on this forum as would someone with black skin.

All the best,

Joe

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/11/2015 10:56:04 AM

Haha, bless up Joe

Messenger: ShivaJiva Sent: 1/11/2015 11:38:00 AM

Sorry I've been busy the past day

I think Garveys Africa has hit the nail on the head, you should look more into what white privilege is. Here is a helpful article on the subject: https://www.isr.umich.edu/home/diversity/resources/white-privilege.pdf

When I say that white people have everything, I mean that white people can do pretty much whatever they want without inhibition. You might not have a lot of money, but you have the capability of making money without the culture actively trying to stop you. Part of white supremacy in the modern age is that it is not overtly visible or obvious, much of white supremacy now lies in the fact that white people feel entitled to everything. Colonialism is an obvious example of white people appropriating land, but what about culture? Its extremely common to see white people wear Rasta colors in the West nowadays even though they have no understanding of what Rasta is, they just associate it with ganja and thus they feel entitled to wear those colors because they like ganja and Bob Marley. Hip hop is another obvious example of black music that white people felt entitled to appropriate.

Jah is only part of Rastafari. Rastafari is as much of a BLACK POLITICAL MOVEMENT as it is a spiritual practice. Jah is Jah is Jah, and Jah exists in virtually any other monotheistic spiritual practice. What distinguishes Rastafari from religions is that it is a political movement which is built on fundamental ideals of African spirituality so that black people might feel empowered to organize and mobilize their own communities. If you just want to worship Jah you can pick and choose between pretty much any other practice. If you are BLACK and want to worship Jah while at the same time work towards liberating your people, then Rastafari might be for you.

Nobody is saying that white people are inferior, or that you are not a good person, or that you are racist. I'm sure I would very much enjoy your company in person. But the fact of the matter is that Rastafari is very explicitly a black movement, so in light of that why do certain white people feel entitled associating themselves with a movement they have nothing to do with? Listening to reggae, smoking ganja, and praising Jah do not constitute being a Rasta.

To be frank, if a bunch of black people come together to create a space that is safe for black people a white person has no right to feel entitled to being part of that group. If LGBTQ individuals come together to discuss their sexuality and how they might empower themselves, a straight person has no right to feel entitled to being part of said group. If women come together and form a group about womens issues and patriarchy, a man has no right to feel entitled to be part of said group. White supremacy now exists as a series of unspoken and unacknowledged assumptions; the white person is entitled to virtually anything and everything they want and we subconsciously make assumptions about the nature/character of anyone who is not white.

If there were a group of Europeans who came together to discuss and appreciate their European heritage, it would seem odd if a black person were to feel like they were entitled to join such a group. Much like Garveys Africa here is saying that he would never explicitly say you can't be a Rasta, nobody is going to say the black person isn't allowed to be part of the European group...but it wouldn't make much sense, would it?

Or lets say you live in a small town and the community comes together to discuss local town issues. Your community works to organize itself and have itself represented, you discuss local economics etc...It would seem strange for someone who has never stepped foot in your community to show up and start speaking for the people. Sure they could sit on the side and watch the meetings, but do they really have any right participating?

I guess my question to you would be why do you want to be a Rasta? What draws you to the movement? What is your current understanding of Rastafari?

Messenger: ShivaJiva Sent: 1/11/2015 11:45:00 AM

An excerpt from the article I linked you to. I'd recommend the whole article, it's pretty basic but does a decent job explaining simple ways in which white privilege operates.

1. I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.

2.If I should need to move, I can be pretty sure of renting or purchasing housing in an area which I can afford and in which I would
want to live.

3.I can be pretty sure that my neighbors in such a location will be neutral or pleasant to me.

4.I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.

5.I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.

6.When I am told about our national heritage or about “civilization,” I am shown that people of my color made it what it is.

7.I can be sure that my children will be given curricular materials that testify to the existence of their race.

8.If I want to, I can be pretty sure of finding a publisher for this piece on white privilege.

9.I can go into a music shop and count on finding the music of my race
represented, into a supermarket and find the staple foods which fit with my cultural traditions, into a hairdresser’s shop and find someone who can cut my hair.

10. Whether I use checks, credit cards, or cash, I can count on my skin color not to work against the appearance of financial reliability.

11.I can arrange to protect my children most of the time from people who might not like them.

12.I can swear, or dress in second hand clothes, or not answer letters, without having people attribute these choices to the bad morals, the poverty, or the illiteracy of my race.

13.I can speak in public to a powerful male group without putting my race on trial.

14.I can do well in a challenging situation without being called a credit to my race.

15.I am never asked to speak for all the people of my racial group.

16.I can remain oblivious of the language and customs of persons of color who constitute the world’s majority without feeling in my culture any penalty for such oblivion.

17.I can criticize our government and talk about how much I fear its policies and behavior without being seen as a cultural outsider.

18.I can be pretty sure that if I ask to talk to “the person in charge,” I will be facing a person of my race.

19.If a traffic cop pulls me over or if the IRS audits my tax return, I can be sure I haven’t been singled out because of my race.

20.I can easily buy posters, postcards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, toys, and children’s magazine featuring people of my race.

21.I can go home from most meetings of organizations I belong to feeling somewhat tied in, rather than isolated, out of place, outnumbered, unheard, held at a distance, or feared.

22.I can take a job with an affirmative action employer without having co-workers on the job suspect that I got it because of race.

23.I can choose public accommodation without fearing that people of my race cannot get in or will be mistreated in the places I have chosen.

24.I can be sure that if I need legal or medical help, my race will not work against me.

25.If my day, week, or year is going badly, I need not ask of each negative episode or situation whether it has racial overtones.

26.I can choose blemish cover or bandages in “flesh” color and have them more or less match my skin

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 130131 - 140141 - 150151 - 160161 - 166

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I