Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5914&start_row=61

Caucasians becoming rastafari

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 130131 - 140141 - 150151 - 160161 - 166
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/11/2015 12:01:01 PM

I'm going to say that sometimes when you have a feeling or passion toward something, it is not always easy to get that same energy across in the words which you choose to describe it. We are limited by this language. However, that explanation from Shiva first post of what this whole thread is about.... Is one of the best I've seen.

That's exactly it. Agree or disagree, fine with me. But this does encapsulate the heart and soul of many brethren and sistren out there re:this subject from my experience. The analogy to LGBT and such I think was excellent.

Messenger: Humble one Sent: 1/11/2015 12:52:20 PM

So, if I tell you that I have been lying all along on these forums, and I am in fact a 60 year old black man does that change how much I am accepted here?

Blessings,

Joe

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/11/2015 1:16:49 PM

why do you feel you are not accepted on this website? You realise this website belongs to and was created by what some would refer to as a white rasta?

There is no acceptance and none acceptance on this site

Only reasoning

Messenger: Humble one Sent: 1/11/2015 1:36:52 PM

Garveys Africa:Fairplay to what you have said. No one has stopped me from reasoning I suppose. Bless up

Shiva Jiva asked me what has attracted me to Rastafari;

well, firstly the fact that we are LIVING in the babylon system that the bible talks of NOW. Christians do not think this for example.

Also, I take the livity very seriously. This comes from the overstanding that the system is trying to control us with various methods, and it is very important to keep the blood pure. The sufferers result in a dumbed down consciousness.

Aswell as this, it is the overstanding that all is not what is; it is how you perceive what is. I.E the system, through various control methods from child birth dumbs down the consciousness of the person. For me, the reawakening of the original consciousness is very important to Rastafari. Babylon convinces people that the source is money; the source is seed.

As well as this is the overstanding that we are ALL originally from Africa, before we branched out.

Accepting HIM Haile Selassie as a living god. It comes from the overstanding that JAH is not up in the sky, as some christians may have us believe.

----------------------------------

I could go on and on, but I think the re awakening of the original consciousness is a very imporant part.

This is why I come to a rasta reasoning forum, and not a christian forum etc. But to make it clear, I am NOT saying rasta is a religion. It is a reality, livity.

All the best,

Joe

Messenger: Shasatabe Makonnen Sent: 1/11/2015 4:09:33 PM

Well reasoned ShivaJiva. It gets frustrating for InI when trying to reason with caucasians over the while privilege business. They just refuse to believe it because they been programmed for so long to look at InI and think "essentially nothing you say or do means anything because your ancestors were slaves. deal with it" and thats honestly the mentality of most. InI am a 22 year old black man, but at least 45% of my friends and associates are white. even I girlfriend of 2 years is white, and even she shuts me down when I get going on the white privilege and prejudice talks. They don't want to hear the truth. It used to bother me but the Most High has taught me to let certain things be and not to raise my stress levels up for such willing ignorance

Messenger: Black heart Sent: 1/12/2015 2:28:22 AM

Bro Joe. Wha gwaan with de I realy? Why is de I so worried about acceptence? who do u realy want to accept u? why would all dis unnecessary lies? Why can't de I see dat de problem is not with de people in dis forum but it is with de I. U are de one dat cannort accept yoself yet u complain of bein not accepted. Brother just accept yo identity wheather u black or u white. Free up yoself from mental bondage. When I & I reason in dis forum it is fo enlightment, upliftment & sharpening one anada. seen

Messenger: Humble one Sent: 1/12/2015 2:50:09 AM

Black heart, you are quite right that acceptance lies in myself. Thanks for this help.

But, if you are asking why I mentioned acceptance is because of statements such as

"You seem to forget how evil this race is" - zion mountain

"This race" = white. He is talking of all white people. I am white. Can you see why I might feel a bit uncomfortable?

But, you are right that I should not feel uncomfortable despite what anyone says.

All the best,

Joe

Messenger: ShivaJiva Sent: 1/12/2015 12:47:12 PM

Much thanks for the compliment, Garveys Africa. I have been distracted lately so I want to add/elaborate on a few things.

Aye Shasatabe Makonnen, it can be very difficult trying to make these structures clear to caucasians. I sincerely do not believe it is the job of the black person to have to explain to white people how they have an advantage in this world, or the many ways in which they still actively downpress people of color all over the globe. The evidence is everywhere. Though it can be difficult to shrug off, I think our time is better spent building alternatives and resilience amongst ourselves.

Humble one, please do not feel like you are unwelcome here. I cannot speak to some of the more hostile things that other members have stated, but we are all equally conditioned by the societies in which we were brought up in. The color of our skin has nothing to do with our character regardless of how the world operates. You are an individual, plain and simple. I think its great that you have taken an interest in Rastafari and the fact that you are participating on a forum such as this and reasoning shows that you have a genuine interest which exceeds that of most caucasians I know. I can see why you are drawn to Rastafari, as it is very explicit in its challenging of Western society and its placement of value on the here and now as opposed to some deity in the sky. This said, Rastafari is not the only path which has this emphasis. Sikhs are very forward in that it is our responsibility to challenge oppression and remove ourselves from an unjust society. Sikhism is very tolerant and open-minded and is as much about logic, reasoning, and social justice as it is about the worship of a higher order. The practice originates from the Middle East but it is very clear that people of ALL ethnic backgrounds are welcome to call themselves a Sikh. Most religions, if you look hard enough, I believe are saying the same thing. The popular representation of Christianity does not, in my opinion, reflect the actual teachings of Christ. All of the major Abrahamic faiths, in addition to Eastern traditions such as Buddhism and Hinduism, they all encourage social justice and condemnation of a destructive culture...you have to look past what you are TOLD about these religions and look into them deeply for yourself, and you will find gems of wisdom that are applicable to your pursuits. I have been studying theology/spirituality for a few years now and I can tell you that everything that draws you to Rastafari can be found in most other practices.

Of course Im also not going to say that you CANT be Rasta, but please acknowledge that Rastafari is challenging Babylon from a BLACK lens. It is acknowledging the ways that Babylon has, and continues to, downpress African peoples worldwide. Rastafari exists to offer Africans a culture and sense of identity/history in place of the one that Babylon stripped away from us. As a white person, everything you have ever been taught about the world asserts your heritage and your identity as a white person. Most black people don't have that. I know very little of my heritage, I don't even know my real family name. Most of our culture has been overwritten, erased, or downplayed by caucasians and Rastafari offers us the opportunity to claim our own identity as Africans living in a white world. Rastafari, from my overstanding, is much more about African identity than it is about philosophical concepts of consciousness or Jah.

I hope that helps as well? I have been sick and very busy the past few days so I figured I would try to explain my perspective a bit better. And if it makes you feel any better, I am not a Rasta. I am very interested in Rastafari and I am drawn to it, but I do not yet know if my own overstandings and lifestyle fit into the model of Rastafari. And I am black. And that is all I am trying to say...Rastafari is a very specific movement and it is not for everyone. It is ironic, as a black person I am drawn to it because it offers a sense of African spiritual identity as well as an outlet for revolutionary change; but at the same time I hold certain opinions which seem to fundamentally clash with the movement. And that is the beauty of it, nobody has yet to say I cannot be a Rasta as that is for the I to decide...but we must make such decisions with a proper overstanding of what Rastafari is. And from the I's perspective, if you overstand what Rastafari is than you acknowledge that it is for black people.

Rastafari is not saying white people are terrible and inherently evil or flawed, its saying black people need centralization and unification and it is an outlet for much needed black solidarity. Black people need to have their voices heard, as black people. When our voices become muddled with those of caucasians, we are discrediting ourselves and taking away from the power of a single black voice. We are no longer demanding or standing for the same things if caucasians are speaking for us

By no means do I wish to discourage you on your pursuit for knowledge. You will do whatever you are most drawn to, and I hope that whatever that may be, Rastafari or not, it brings you wisdom, power, and serenity.

Jah Bless

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/12/2015 1:02:02 PM

Don't listen to him. Shiva a Ras him just don't see it yet.

HailE

Messenger: Humble one Sent: 1/12/2015 1:15:35 PM

Thank you ShivaJiva for your very kind words

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 130131 - 140141 - 150151 - 160161 - 166

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I