Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5914&start_row=31

Caucasians becoming rastafari

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 130131 - 140141 - 150151 - 160161 - 166
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Humble one Sent: 1/9/2015 3:13:02 AM

Yes, if one chooses to follow the teachings of his majesty then they should not discriminate on race. If one does discriminate then they are not following his teachings, as the numerous quotes ras nate posted show.

I am white. If I listened to people telling me that I am inferior because of it do you think that I would get anywhere? If bob marley, being half white listened to the criticism and took it as truth would he ever have written a song?

Not every white person is sucked in by the system. Some are conscious

Jah made a promise that he who seek him shall find him. Do you think that he would have no mercy for white people?

Discrimination based just on race is WRONG. His majesty tells us this.

Blessings,

Joe

Messenger: Humble one Sent: 1/9/2015 3:40:08 AM

A person's life is their right and all have right to know jah.

Fullstop. I hold no apologies for standing up for thjs right.

If you listen to the people who tell you that you can't for too long you will start to doubt yourself. Let each person be his full.

No one has the right to put themselves above others. Stand up for your rights!

Blessings,

Joe

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/9/2015 6:02:48 AM

Bob Marley identified as a black man, as an African. And has even used common statements such as every black man a Rasta. Just saying.....

But a well reasoned argument. Live up bredda Joe

Messenger: ShivaJiva Sent: 1/9/2015 12:57:05 PM

Rastafari is a movement about black liberation. Bob Marley was half white but race is a human construct, it is not "genetic", so to speak. If you are brown in our world you are a person of color, you are black. Whiteness is a construct of status, not heredity.

I can see white people being allies to the Rastafari cause, but I genuinely don't understand how a white person can be a Rasta after looking into the history of what Rastafari actually is. It's not just a typical spiritual practice where practitioners seek primordial truth. While that is part of it, much of Rastafari is building black communities and actively resisting downpression. Rastafari is about liberation for the black people.

It's not about all white people being "evil", as that is obviously not the case. It is important for black people to have black spaces where we can organize, reason, and mobilize. If white people would like to be an ally to that cause that is one thing...but it seems typical to me that so many want to claim Rastafari as something of their own, just like everything else. Rastafari is a BLACK movement.

Sorry if I offend. It just strikes a nerve for me, I've grown up in mostly all white spaces my whole life and it has been virtually impossible for me to try and establish safe places for black people without white people trying to hijack it and turn it into their own thing. Not intentionally of course, but I find it extremely insensitive. White people have everything, let us have this.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/9/2015 2:15:55 PM

I share your enthusiasm brother. And im glad you have highlighted many of the arguments I have expressed previously as to show is not a one voice thing. Cultural appropriation. To many black people I have spoken to Rastafari or none Rastafari, a white Rasta is somewhat of an oxymoron in their overstanding of the concept.. Still, there are ones who would argue Rastafari is for one and all.

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 1/9/2015 3:13:17 PM

Religious vs Cultural Rastafari!

Religious Bible Based Rastafari

Cultural Afrikan Based Rastafari

Are there any White 'Black Panthers',a take on White Rastafari from a cultural stand point!

Race isn't necessarily jus a human construct, genetics has it's play also. We're slightly different inside which is why we're slightly different outside!

We are much more than skin nose and hair!

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/9/2015 3:18:55 PM

To all who are relatively new to posting here, cite one of the original reasonings for reference

www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5336&start_row=1

Messenger: Humble one Sent: 1/10/2015 12:26:02 PM

It seems that you will think what you will think. I won't attempt to change this.

But I am NOT going away from this forum thinking that I am inferior just because I am white.

Tell me, where do you think it would get me if I started believing that I was inferior? You could lose a valuable person who could spread truth.

In this sense, I choose to ignore anyone who tells me that I can't be rasta, because where would this leave me?

I hope I don't sound too attacking, just I want to point out what is the alternative?

All the best,

Joe

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/10/2015 2:32:14 PM

Joe. The argument on whether it makes logical sense for a white person to be a Rasta is one thing....

But where and when did ones say white people r inferior? What exactly has given you the idea that this was our reasoning? I can only speak for myself but I think this is a misunderstanding. We are saying Rastafari is a (much needed) identity of black liberation, and African redemption in response to global White supremacy.

That reasoning has nothing to do with inferior or superior. Even when we chant black supremacy..... We chant that to one another as a sign and as a reminder that the playing fields are still today not level and the forces of white supremacy must be opposed (literal opposite) until africa has been redeemed. At which point peace love and equality for all will be the primary focus but not a minute before..

Agree or disagree but nobody is claiming white inferiority please don't misinterpret.

I think Shiva makes a good point about being allies of Rastafari but not Rastafari....

Despite coming from a white Rasta I also think Ark Is topic about culture and our roots in relation to this trod is interesting although I doubt his intentions were for that to be tied into this reasoning I would do so....

Haile

Messenger: Humble one Sent: 1/11/2015 2:17:44 AM

Sorry Garveys Africa.

I got the wrong end of the stick there

But I hold no apology for those (if there are any) that say that I can't be rasta (I know that Garveys Africa doesn't mean this), because all have the right to know jah, and even if someone tells me otherwise I am not going to stop being faithful.

Wishing you all the best,

Joe

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 130131 - 140141 - 150151 - 160161 - 166

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I