Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6124&start_row=81

Double standard

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 129
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 7/2/2015 11:08:14 PM

http://www.ireggae.com/midnitepropaganda.htm

All Isms and skisms are all branches coming out of the devils thought seed of division and seperation

Unity is strenght , black and white brown yellow and all must unite and fight evil not eachother. Less stress, jus Bless. One Love.

Messenger: Hemphill Sent: 7/3/2015 2:01:47 PM

Let me start by saying that I greatly appreciate those who have been willing to reason this topic past a point of instant rejection and irritation -- to say it lightly --... I do realize that this type of information is sensitive and seen as outright wrong for this kind of forum. My position here is not to try and say that Black on White hate crimes are equivalent to that of hundreds of years of suppression and abuse from White colonized society. After reading the 'White Fragility' article pointed out by ShivaJiva I see why I have been met with SO much resistance with this thread. I want to say that I never intended to imply that race is nonexistent or that Black hatred for White is a systemic or institutionalized form of suppression. What I AM trying to say here is that the media -- within the many different forms -- is fueling the fire of an already established flame for racial division. The media is doing this by suppressing information that does not fit their narrative and blowing up information that does... They undervalue 'high-class' cases of White terrorism and racism to further instill distrust, disgust, and hatred of Whites from the Black population. At the same time, they largely ignore Black on White violence and deem smaller incidents as racist and hateful. For example: The rodeo clown who wore an Obama halloween mask in Missouri was deemed as racist and disbarred from the organization for life.. All of the other rodeo clowns had to attend 'sensitivity training'... What this does to White people is instill an idea of 'walking on eggshells' -- that no matter what we do, however much we want things to change and be better for everyone, we will never be seen as anything other than a bigoted and hateful racist -- This gets incredibly frustrating and drives racial division deeper and deeper.. The media is playing both 'sides' to bring everyone down. And I do agree that this problem extends further and has existed long before mainstream media. Yet this system is working with a technological and scientific rhetoric, unprecedented to any other time. People are constantly surrounded by screens in the USA, 'they' definitely manipulate images to advance their agenda.

My main point by titling this thread as 'Double standard' can be explained by looking at the posts PathWalker made.. I, a White man, made a topic posting information of Black people committing hate crimes on White people and the subsequent media denial. PathWalker, also a White man, instantly saw this as negative and was quick to jump on me as being a racist White person so that he may be seen as one of the 'good White people'.. This may seem strange but that is how I see it. I knew I would be met with much rejection with this one -- just HOW much surprised me -- but I am not afraid to bring up topics that are hard to talk about or at first seem 'outright wrong'.. Other White people, I have noticed, completely stear clear of such conversation or quicky demonize those Whites who are willing to talk about it..

I meant no disrespect or blame to the Black people here willing to reason. I will admit that I got quite defensive at points and threw out some things that were out-of-line.. I apologize if this has brought about even MORE separation. I do not apologize for the information posted though, this needs to be known and discussed so that we can better know the systems tricks, traps, and pitfalls.. "Political pundits are fueling racial divisions in order to distract and control the population." Any half conscious person in USA knows that the government tirelessly works to disassemble any remain rights and freedoms. This 'Double standard' is just one of the MANY operations aimed at destruction and totalitarian control. I want to beat this thing, I want to help destroy the system. Herbert Walker Bush called it the 'New World Order'. This is my enemy: The 1%, the people willfully helping them, and the people either compartmentalized or just ignorant.

I do not claim to be 'high and mighty' or that I have done anything that is 'so great'... ALL I have done is seen this system and broken away from it spiritually and mentally -- still working on physically.. Now this might not seem like much but I was raised in this system, taught to praise and perpetuate this system from school and social norms. I have seen it, been disgusted, and worked to bring others to this knowledge -- many times at the expense of a bridge being burned.. If more and more people could only SEE all of the tricks, traps, and pitfalls; this system could no longer hide behind it's smoke screen.

Again, I thank those patient enough and kind enough to keep reasoning instead of completely writing me off and seeing this as another reason to hate White people. I look forward to reading responses and reasoning this topic..

Bless
One Love

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 7/3/2015 4:48:18 PM

U may be right in your assessments as u may not be, the only way to be sure is if u were part of the inner circle!

IkdRacial war would better promoted if it was in reverse.
Whites are dominant here and feel the country is theirs, more connected to it than blacks. Whites see blacks being killed and think its deserving, he/she must hv done something. No need for whites to be defensive or offensive, its just thug/ghetto blacks/niggers getting what they deserve.

If it was "black on white violence" as u put it being media bait then the bait woulda done been ate. Whites woulda seen that as their personal chance to give dem niggers what they deserve

Looka hurricane Katrina, they show nothing but blacks looting and all sorts of negative stories about blacks and certain whites took it upon themselves to give dem niggers what they deserve and I dont think that was ever reported nationally or locally at the time, many still dkbt know that went on

And that Im not referring to all whites

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 7/3/2015 6:41:35 PM

None can compare to European history of systematic racism, supremacy, genocide, thievery, sexism, murder, lies.

Wherever he has set foot, he has left the earth soggy with InI blood.

The ONLY "double standard" is the western world's ISMS AND SKISMS.

NONE OTHER ON THE FACE OF THIS EARTH (OR BEYOND) CAN COMPARE.

NONE!

One can pontificate this issue to ease their own white guilt...

But none can fool us with it.

Ya wanna know why?

Coz every time InI hear the crack of the whip, our blood runs cold. It is in our very DNA memory banks. Our ancestors will not let us forget it. Our PRESENT situation will not let us forget it.

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 7/4/2015 3:39:13 AM

yes must bring restoration the irits on humanity from the tragedies of history. To restore the balance will take faith that moves mountains and a greater miracle then the past present or future could believe. For Africa to unite and the only supremacy is good and love and truth and compassion. Heart. The Lion crowned the King, crowned in peace love and unity.

time will come when the only privileged ones are the righteous ones

zions gates are open wide

come JAH JAH children come

As JAH is Good and Perfect and so are JAH WAYS.

So All humanoids on earth must strive for perfection.

Haile Selassie Lives

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 7/4/2015 3:57:20 AM

How can we promote more equal rights and justice in day to day practical livity?

Messenger: Sister Sent: 7/4/2015 4:39:59 AM

Copied from racereflections.co.uk

By challenging racism: could we actually be perpetuating it?

The Function of racism

‘The function, the very serious function of racism is distraction. It keeps you from doing your work. It keeps you explaining, over and over again, your reason for being. Somebody says you have no language and you spend twenty years proving that you do. Somebody says your head isn’t shaped properly so you have scientists working on the fact that it is. Somebody says you have no art, so you dredge that up. Somebody says you have no kingdoms, so you dredge that up. None of this is necessary. There will always be one more thing.’ Toni Morrison

There seems to be two different kinds of people when it comes to dealing with experiences of racism or at least two main types of response. On the one hand, we may react; indeed we may make it a point to react. People who react tend to be those who argue, who wish to demonstrate the folly of racial prejudice to those who utter offending comments. These may be principled people, conscious people, and/or rational or reasonable people. People who may feel that they have an ethical or liberatory obligation to respond, to correct, to evidence or to have their voice and experience heard.

On the other hand, there are those who seemingly chose not to engage, those who ignore the offensive or bigoted comments or theories or who seem to turn a blind eye to them. They either appear to take no notice or seem not to care. Naturally, most of us oscillate between these two poles and may spend much time somewhere in the middle. Many believe that speaking out is an intrinsic part of the liberatory process. That it is absolutely necessary and indeed that being silent amounts to complicity, to letting people off the hook and in doing so, to contributing to the perpetuation of oppression. Not everyone however, is aware of the emotional demands of both challenging and being silent.

Reinforcing racism

Though mindful of the courage both positions require and of the potential material risks and perils associated with challenging racism, it has always felt as though there were higher psychological costs to being silent. I had too been certain that in the longer term, gains in terms of equality and dignity could only be achieved if we spoke individually and collectively. Thus, for long, speaking out seemed a pre-condition to tackling racism. Tony Morrison’s quote somewhat challenges this position. It proposes that such actions serve the function of racism. Whilst she posits that distraction is the core function of racism and we may or may not agree, one issue I will reflect upon here is whether responding intellectually or emotionally to racism may be in the interest of those directly impacted upon by racism.

So, what if actually, some or all of our actions to combat racism actually perpetuated it, inadvertently? I am aware that this is often a defensive premise which may be advanced by those with social power who are unwilling to contemplate the thorniness of the subject matter or to sit with their own racism or privilege. But do bear with me… As is plain to see from the above quote, Toni Morrison does not believe that expanding energy rationally disproving racist claims is necessary. Doing so according to her is futile because there will always be one more claim to disprove. I believe doing so is also a lost cause because racism does not belong to the realm of the rational. Critically, challenging racism may also be unhelpful if not dangerous…Firstly, from a behaviourist perspective, every human behaviour serves a function. Behaviours can naturally have multiple functions, some (or all) of which may well be obscure.

The core issue here is that when the function of a particular behaviour is served, then that behaviour will likely remain. It would have been reinforced thus, maintained. This is a fundamental behaviourist principle. This simple tenet may have significant implications for how we tackle racism. For example, if the function (or one of the functions) of racist ideologies is to inferiorize people of colour and, people of colour as a result of such ideologies internalise this inferiority, this function of racism would have been fulfilled and racist ‘ideologizing’ reinforced thus likely to be perpetuated. Or, if a function of racist language is to offend or to hurt and, such language does get to us, then behaviourists would argue, the likelihood or such language being used again would have been increased.

Self-care: protecting our psychic boundaries

I am aware the above propositions have the potential to being seen as victim blaming. This is far from my intention. The responsibility for racist and discriminatory acts, in my book, remains firmly in the hands of perpetrator(s). However, if it is or can be within our control to reduce the occurrence or the impact of racism on us, then, we may start to reclaim some of the power oppression robs us of. It is clear to me that the impact (or consequences) of racism feeds into its existence, it is what gives it its potency. Though I realise this may betray the dim view I have on humanity, my sense is, in a nutshell, that as long as racism works or hurts, it will invariably keep existing.

This may help explain why in spite of major gains made in terms of race equality, it is quite evident that processes of othering and marginalisation remain and seem the most difficult to address. Perhaps this is because the hostility, contempt and fear we have for the Other now manifest in more subtle and covert ways. So, if much racial bias and prejudice find their refuge in our unconscious and, become externalised without our awareness, could it be hypothesised some equally unhelpful processes may become triggered outside our awareness, as racial minorities, when we respond, argue, defend, and evidence our humanity, again and again?

Could it not be hypothesised that arguing our way out of racist encounters and discourses may actually also allow something in? And that perhaps, our psychic integrity or boundaries may somehow become compromised? To challenge a proposition entails a degree of internalisation since we need to hold it in mind to consider it. When such propositions are hate based and carry with them projections, trauma and violence one may be rightly concerned about potential impact of such repeated internalisation (in addition of course to the more observable psychological and health consequences). Even though this internalisation may only be momentary, perhaps its potential impact on our psyche, on the struggle for liberation and also on the possible unconscious needs or processes which may get fed ( in those who other us) may need more attention.

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 7/4/2015 5:26:05 PM

Reverse racism isn’t a thing, y’all

by Julia Craven

I find it highly comical when white people believe they can experience racism. Whenever I bring up the ills that affect people of color — and indite white folks as the perpetrators — some white soul comes out of the woodwork proclaiming that his or her race can also fall victim to racism

It never fails.

I find this to be frustrating and annoying more than anything else. Black people, as well as people of color in general, have already had to create our own spaces where we can discuss OUR lives, OUR culture and share OUR sentiments about OUR oppressors – now that’s in jeopardy.

It appears as though white people want everything. They want the beauty standards, the economic resources, the sociopolitical power and, now, the other side of oppression.

Can we, non-white people, have anything? We can’t have our fashion statements. We can’t have the benefit of the doubt. We can’t have justice. We can’t have a damn thing unless we’re serving the cultivation of whiteness in some way, shape or form.

Sounds a lot like the purpose Black bodies served during slavery hasn’t changed in the minds of white folks (collectively). It’s irritating to explain why people of color can’t be racist to white folks who want the world to acknowledge how they, too, can experience the suffering that non-whites endue on a daily basis.

Screaming that people of color do not hold the institutional power that makes racism a systemic force and that we, non-white people, are incapable of oppressing anyone is futile. Highlighting the statistical differences between Black people and white people means nothing. And, my favorite, race NEVER matters until its white people on the chopping block.

Our struggles are always explained away via the highlighting of white ignorance to all things racial – and we’re just supposed to accept that as enough. But when my people cry out in pain and desperation about the reality of what we deal with on a DAILY basis, it is never enough.

Our stories and voices are never enough. We always have to prove that we are victims. It is essential that our victimhood be validated.

Racism seems to exist to white people only when they are the supposed victims of the phenomenon. Blacks, Latinos and other members of our nation’s minority can never experience discrimination it seems. But white folks? OH MY GOD Y’ALL JUST HAVE IT SO BAD!

I do not wish to negate anything any white person has experienced. However, what must be understood is that you cannot experience racism. You can’t. You can experience prejudice all day, everyday. But racism? Nah. That is the one thing that is not yours.

So let us non-white folks discuss this topic in peace. Stop antagonizing us. For once.

Messenger: Hemphill Sent: 7/4/2015 7:19:20 PM

Hate; if you don't want to call the 'knockout game' racist that's fine, but it must be called hate -- because that's what it is --.. And my point here is that when I show information of this happening, I am deemed racist for 'even thinking that this is happening or that it is hate.' Read through what has already been posted. I have said several that this doesn't compare to hundreds of years of oppression or to have 'woe for the white victim' but that it is hate none-the-less... The 'knockout game' and those who deny it are perpetuating division and ignorance to the traps of the system..

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 7/4/2015 7:48:37 PM

Whilst none can deny the violence and ignorance of the "knockout game"...

White Supremacy and its effect on the rest of the world is the most dangerous and lethal "knockout game" ever played on the face of this earth.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 129

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I