Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5944&start_row=51

Ganja Alternative

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 68
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/10/2015 9:45:18 AM

Cannabis is... in most countries..... NOT considered to be in the same class as cocaine crack MDMA etc..... And if this is the case in a particular country I would argue for political and not medical or scientific reasons.

If there is any link between mental health and ganja, than the risks are increased significantly through the same mechanism for the heavier psychedelics. Logic.... And I would argue that the percentage of people who take such, and end up with debilitating mental health disease is greater than that of cannabis users which is the worlds most commonly used

Again, I don't refer to media portrayals but real life experiences of black people who choose to take drugs

Messenger: ShivaJiva Sent: 1/10/2015 10:43:34 AM

Fair enough, we are all entitled to our opinions and I don't want to discount your personal experiences with other individuals.

I see your logic in asserting that any risks associated with cannabis would be even more so with psychedelics. And I would be dishonest to say that I've never seen psychedelics go wrong; I've seen them bring people to some dark places. That said, given proper intention and setting cases of any sort of harm, psychological or physiological, are extremely isolated and rare. Much less can be said about recreational use but I cannot speak to that. I do think, however, that if we had a culture which had a framework for the psychedelic experience and didn't persecute it to the extent that it becomes a black market recreational thing such that it has, we wouldn't see abuse and misuse that has the potential to lead to problems. Right now its something novel for Westerners, so naturally its sensationalized and appropriated into Western culture which promotes excessive over-indulgence and irresponsible use of everything. A psychedelic experience can be profound and earth-shattering, it can completely change your life. It seems obvious to me that if one has no culture or framework to integrate and interpret such an experience it will challenge them psychologically. It is no mistake, in my opinion, that these profound tools have become so taboo; it is purely political.

Anyways I don't mean to hijack this discussion any more than I already have so Ill cease here. I respect your opinion and I can see where you're coming from. As you know I've been curious where Rastafari stands on this so it is good to have a pretty solid answer. Thanks for your perspective.

Bless Up

Messenger: ShivaJiva Sent: 1/10/2015 11:06:44 AM

Argg I meant to include this and I cant edit my last post. :(

But I would recommend checking this out:
http://www.biologicalpsychiatryjournal.com/article/S0006-3223%2805%2900855-3/abstract

Its only an abstract so you cant read the whole study, but Indigenous communities that engage in regular peyote ceremonies show no signs of negative impacts on mental/physical health. Other studies suggest some of these communities even have improved mental health compared to traditional Western societies.

When I think of ways to heal community, it is important for the I to think of ways to restructure community so that they allow for deep healing to happen.

Much Love

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/10/2015 12:12:52 PM

Re: Schizophrenia. To a demographic who already has the highest rate of schizophrenia, three times more likely in the US alone..... is this the same as being predisposed or at risk? We know the white supremacist system has a tendency to over / mis diagnose many black people as Schizophrenic simply due to a lack of overstanding of the inert loud, passionate nature which we display, often mistaken as aggression. Nevertheless, numbers being that high I don't think we can account for ALL of the cases as being doctors error or white supremacy. IF genetically, we are predisposed to such I am almost certain it has something if not everything to do with our experience since slavery and its trans generational effects. The reasoning is then when these studies are being undertaken are we to be classified in the at risk group or not? As the outcome of any inferences may be different.

Just food for thought. But the topic of schizophrenia amongst we is big enough in itself. As is the lack of scientific and medical studies in the West which target black people specifically. Most of the studies are with white people...... For anyone thinking this shouldn't make a difference, look into how drug treatments for something as common as high blood pressure NEED to be different for black people as opposed to whites or risk increased mortality. We are not the same.... But again, thats a whooole other issue.

Peace

Messenger: Humble one Sent: 1/10/2015 12:13:40 PM

I actually agree with both sides here.

I have an overstanding that we are currently living in the babylon system, and I think it is no coincedence that these plants have been placed here for us by jah, because they give us profound, as shiva said earth shattering insight that completely change everything that you ever knew to be true. They are true tools to help a person transcend the system, in a ONE OFF insight.

There are many accounts of the traditional use of Peyote in soul revealing ceremonies. You seem to believe more in what Babylon tells us about the scientific facts. Would you trust babylon more than traditional ceremonies that utilize a PLANT?

If this insight is used for good, and never returned to, or very rarely, then this is very good.

However, I agree with Garveys Africa in the sense that if one becomes addicted to these plants, then this can cause harm. Keeping the body clean from the inside; free of the babylon food is the reliable route to consciousness.

I see these gifts (Peyote) more as something which should be used ONCE. Once the person has had this insight, they will never doubt the spirit again. I see them more as a tool to lift the person out of babylon state of mind, so that they can go on in the RIGHT direction.

It is the WRONG direction to continue to take the peyote all of the time. Once is enough.

All the best,

Joe

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/10/2015 12:20:59 PM

Another question. Would you take LSD? MDMA? Pills in other words.....Or strictly the plant / natural format of Peyote? If you see where i'm coming from....

One would assume the latter.

I've yet to see Peyote. But POWDER and PILL drugs are being passed around the community like hot cakes

Peace!

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 1/10/2015 12:29:35 PM

Bless Up and Give Thanks for responses, to add tho usual when I around herb smoke and maybe say I get a contact I sometime get real nervous I guess and bite I fingernails excessively wasn't so when I ate it.

What's usually tested for in marijuana urine screens?
Is it the THC that produce after being heated or all of the chemical makeup?
What about raw juicing say the leaves, would urine samples pick up on it that way?

"We are NOT the same" Big UP GA!

Well not looking to deal in peyote or the likes maybe in the Indian traditional way but no.
I've read some soul revealing things about Ayahuasca and have been told the same of DMT but not lookin to deal in DMT.

Messenger: Humble one Sent: 1/10/2015 12:37:09 PM

Dear Garveys africa,

You are correct in saying that I would, if the time were right, and only ONCE consume the peyote in it;s natural form.

I would not take any pills, MDMA, LSD as these are sythesized.

But, I do not feel that I need it now, as the purpose of the insight is to put the person on the right track. I am already on the right track.

This can be compared to the fact that I eat honey, some on my breakfast each morning. JAH made the honey, so I eat it in moderation. I DO NOT eat synthesized or refined sugar.

All the best,

Joe

Messenger: Humble one Sent: 1/10/2015 12:47:27 PM

By the way, I have one growing on my bedroom windowsill. The latin name is lophophora williamsii.

I got it before I knew of it's uses. It is part of an ornamental cactus collection. just thought I would mention it to anyone interested!

All the best,

Joe

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/10/2015 2:25:06 PM

Thanks for clearing that up bredda Joe.

Big up Voodooruutz too. Him never mind that we highjack his thread and go off topic for a little while the man IRIE still.

Re:urine screen..... This may sound funny but.... Is it not possible to obtain somebody else's for a clean sample? lol really though. But more info on piss testing and all testing in relation to ganja and how it can be 'beaten' would be beneficial. Yes I. I for one would like to know.

Blessed love

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 68

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I