Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5944&start_row=21

Ganja Alternative

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 68
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 1/8/2015 3:38:07 PM

As of now I still deh on I job and they do randoms and hair samples but looking for a good meditative tea!

Messenger: RAS NATE Sent: 1/8/2015 3:44:05 PM

Humble One,

I think ones must remember to mention that peyote is definitely nothing to play around with or experiment with.Ones must have a good relationship with the plant and also remember that it can drive ones permanently mad or kill them if not dealt with properly with respect and for the right reasons,in the right place at the right time.

Peyote also usually takes about 6 years to grow untill bottons can be eaten.

Just thought that I would mention
Reasoning goes on.....

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 1/8/2015 3:50:51 PM

In one of Dr. Afrika's books he list other smokable herbs and some teas are said to produce certain affects so jus wondering what some of d better ones!

Bless!

Messenger: Humble one Sent: 1/9/2015 2:17:14 AM

You are right. Peyote deserves the utmost respect.

What are your thoughts on the san pedro cactus? This is much quicker growing.

All the best,

Joe

Messenger: ShivaJiva Sent: 1/9/2015 1:22:37 PM

Peyote will not kill you, that's simply not true. It has the potential to make you VERY uncomfortable for an extended period of time but it will not kill you.

San pedro grows faster than peyote but has a lower concentration of alkaloids in it, meaning you need to consume more of it for the same effects you would get from peyote. There are many species of cacti in this family aside from peyote and san pedro worth looking into. Bridgessi is similar to San Pedro and is originally from the region of Bolivia/Peru. It grows relatively fast and has the highest concentration of alkaloids (aside from peyote) of any psychedelic cacti.

I think the OP is looking for a safe alternative to ganja, as they cannot smoke because of their job. Psychedelics catapult you to other worlds and I would not say that they are appropriate for this discussion. They're fantastic tools I would recommend to any sincere seeker but they are not a substitute for herb. Cannabis is like the coffee of psychedelics; mild and manageable. Peyote/San pedro are in an entirely different league and you can cause some serious psychological distress recommending it to somebody who expects it to be similar to ganja. Im also fairly sure that any kind of substance use (aside from the herb) is frowned upon in Rastafari, unfortunately.

Messenger: RAS NATE Sent: 1/9/2015 3:49:20 PM

Surely peyote can kill a person,as Iman mentioned before ,if ingested foolishly without proper raspect and Iverstanding.If not the substance itself,then death may come by an accident and unconsious suicide because of the distorted perception one has after taking peyote.To make something clear though,I am not fully against the use of peyote and I agree that it may help ones to reach Ier Iritual grounds and destroy illusion.But again the point i'm making is for ones not to be careless when consuming it,because certainly peyote is something different from many other substances wich can be taken lightly without too many worries,and the trip involves more dangers than Marijuana trips for Ixample.

"Im also fairly sure that any kind of substance use (aside from the herb) is frowned upon in Rastafari, unfortunately."

I partly agree with what you said in the sense that RasTafarI does frown upon chemical and synthetic substances.However Rasta may use and give thanks for many other plants also consciously and meditatively,and I wouldn't see such an one as a less responsible Ras.

Live Up

Messenger: ShivaJiva Sent: 1/9/2015 4:39:08 PM

Nay, peyote cannot physiologically kill you. Most psychedelics are less neuro-toxic than cannabis. There is the chance of someone wanting to inflict self-harm but such incidences are extremely, extremely rare. But yes you are absolutely right that taking peyote or other psychedelic plants is a very different experience and proper care should be taken to prepare oneself (eg set/setting). Having a sitter with you is a good way to ensure you stay safe. That said, I think the benefits and potential spiritual insights far outweigh the possibly of temporary discomfort. I only bring it up to prevent misinformation being spread online and stated as fact, but I don't feel peyote is relevant to poster's question.

Yes I recently asked about this in another discussion; eg plant medicines. Id be interested to know if some of these plants are utilized by Rastas in a constructive context. From what I gathered in the other discussion, most Rastas would consider such things as barriers to consciousness and not bridges. I would love to reason about this in more depth as I am an avid psychedelic enthusiast, but thats for another time and another discussion.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/9/2015 4:47:57 PM

Rasta is no Shaman. I would argue its a barrier to consciousness and would remind ones of a large population of Rastafari that wouldn't even burn ganja. Natural ital living. Hallucinations and consciousness are automatically opposed. I've yet to meet a Rasta who would at least openly encourage such behaviour. Fyah on drug from caffeine to lsd....which is basically what peynote is.

Not to mention the medical effects. From the medical poisons database:

Mescaline
(Peyote)
Revised 12/2008 Checked 6/2014

Type of Product
A hallucinogenic phenylethylamine, structurally similar to amfetamine, derived from the peyote cactus (Lophophora williamsii) and the San Pedro cactus (Trichocereus pachanoi). Mescaline is also synthetically manufactured.
Synonyms
Bad seed, big chief, button, mescal, moon tops, peyote.
Caution: using a slang term to try and identify a drug of abuse is potentially dangerous since there are many regional variations and the terms change over time.

Ingredients
Mescaline
Tablet or capsule - usually 200 mg - 500 mg
'Button' - approx. 45 mg
Various - 'buttons' are whole dried cactus tops; chopped buttons, powder, or browny-grey liquid extract.
Synthetic mescaline is available as a white or brown crystalline powder.
Caution: The purity of the ingredients in legal highs and street drugs may vary greatly.

Toxicity
Few fatal cases have been reported (Reynolds & Jindrich, 1985, Nolte & Zumwalt, 1999), although suicidal thoughts can develop. Sympathomimetic effects are thought to be due to a centrally-mediated action, possibly by increasing serotonergic and noradrenergic CNS activity.
ALERT BOX
All children who have ingested any amount of this preparation should be referred to an Emergency Department.

Features
Nausea, vomiting (which may be forceful), and abdominal cramps are common, usually occurring within 30 to 60 minutes of ingestion and before onset of hallucinogenic effects.
Sympathomimetic effects (mild in adults, more severe in children) - dilated pupils, blurred vision, headache, dizziness, tremor, paraesthesiae, hyperventilation and drowsiness.
Tachycardia (bradycardia with large doses), mild hypertension, rarely palpitations and chest pain.
Psychomimetic effects are most pronounced 4-6 hours post ingestion and usually resolve within 12 hours.

Hallucinogenic effects similar to those of LSD may occur.

Long term
Some users experience “flashbacks”, or hallucinogen persisting perception disorder (HPPD), which are reoccurrences of hallucinations long after ingesting the drug. The causes of these effects, which in some users occur after a single experience with the drug, are not known.

Messenger: RAS NATE Sent: 1/9/2015 5:23:50 PM

"That said, I think the benefits and potential spiritual insights far outweigh the possibly of temporary discomfort."

Yes I,I agree with that line.

GARVEYS AFRICA,

Ones must remember that hallucinations only last so long.And while I agree that while hallucinating ones are not so conscious,the same consciousness is restored in time+hopefully one has benefited from the mystical experience and learned things one could not have learned or rather would need much longer to learn without ingesting certain plants.I wouldn't compare peyote to coffee or LSD since the latter are both man made and edited things and peyote buttons are not semi synthetic like LSD but completely natural.Give thanks for the article though,it comes down to HOW and WHY ones choose to ingest peyote or any other natural substance wich changes perception.

Is it impossible that Rasta be a shaman(or rather a medicine man,had a reasoning on the word before)?
It's not a junkie who daily consumes psychedelics for pleasure without looking into the depth.Man can use these things in moderation for greater insights and still be conscious and normal afterwards in everyday life.Many people have the wrong idea about these plants and think it's something you take one time and become mad forever but this is not the case with many of these plants and certainly not peyote.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/9/2015 5:28:19 PM

I wouldn't call hallucinations a mystical experience. Rasta a no crack head. LIFE we chant. And when long terms effects include hallucinating while not even taking da drug is a no brainer for I man.

No greater insight than looking into I self and Man no use hallucinations for that. Next thing man end up as schizophrenic blaming western society provisions for mental health

Show me a Rasta camp which encourage such

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 68

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I