Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5944&start_row=41

Ganja Alternative

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 68
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: ShivaJiva Sent: 1/10/2015 8:46:35 AM

Depending on dosage, yes you could take peyote and go about your daily business.

If you were to take enough to have a powerful spiritual experience, you would have to lay down for a few hours--but why is that a bad thing? Simply because something puts you in a state where you cannot be social doesnt mean it is bad. Someone who is not used to cannabis who has a low tolerance would not be able to conduct themselves in social situations either.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/10/2015 8:48:44 AM

I have posted nothing outside of scientific fact and common sense. Dogma, you can think if you like......

Would you take peyote and go about your daily works?
Would you take peyote in the presence of His Majesty?

Messenger: ShivaJiva Sent: 1/10/2015 8:49:21 AM

So peyote doesnt produce hallucinations? You disagree with the posions database?

Peyote produces visual phenomena, yes. I do not believe this phenomena to be hallucinations as currently understood in our Western-medical paradigm. Its not like you are seeing spaceships and dragons and UFOS...

Would you take peyote and go about your daily works?
Would you take peyote in the presence of His Majesty?

Yes, and I have.
Yes, if he was open minded enough to allow it.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/10/2015 8:50:37 AM

What ones choose to take is up to them. My only issue is when ones try to incorporate or fuse this with RASTAFARI culture which is my only concern. A guy can say what he likes, show me how this has ever been a part of InI culture or encouraged by Rasta...

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/10/2015 8:51:06 AM

So you are changing the definition of visual hallucinations?

And I've heard that before re:herbs, but personally If ganja ever made me hallucinate I would put it down and leave it there...

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/10/2015 8:53:25 AM

I side and agree MORE with the Rasta who disallow even the use of GANJA. That make more sense to me. I feel it is better for Rasta people to lean more toward that side of living, taking less of such rather than taking and experimenting with more.

Messenger: ShivaJiva Sent: 1/10/2015 8:57:45 AM

What ones choose to take is up to them. My only issue is when ones try to incorporate or fuse this with RASTAFARI culture which is my only concern. A guy can say what he likes, show me how this has ever been a part of InI culture or encouraged by Rasta...

And that I totally respect. Psychedelics are not a part of Rasta, period. In the context of Rastafari, obviously they are not really relevant at this time. My point is that even though Rasta may not utilize them, that doesn't mean they should be lumped together with crack and considered useless and harmful.

So you are changing the definition of visual hallucinations?
No, I am saying that the visual phenomenon associated with Peyote are not visual hallucinations. When one does not sleep for days or takes a delirient or takes too much speed and goes into amphetamine psychosis...those are states of mind which produce visual hallucinations. Not qualitatively the same as what psychedelics produce at all--they are both visual phenomena but its like comparing apples and oranges simply because they are both fruit...

I side and agree MORE with the Rasta who disallow even the use of GANJA. That make more sense to me. I feel it is better for Rasta people to lean more toward that side of living, taking less of such rather than taking and experimenting with more.
Aye, I respect that brother. And though Im sitting here vouching for psychedelics, I actually tend to agree with you here. Though I currently engage in the use of certain plants, I believe that eventually there comes a time when one must let go of these things altogether, including ganja.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/10/2015 9:00:50 AM

OK. I just can't see the benefit. And we disagree in terms of any potential medical or mental effects.

Not only that, science journals and articles ASIDE...

I HAVE SEEN the long term effects on behaviour, personality etc that users of LSD, MDMA, Exctasy and such have produced. And I can't think of much worse for our people. It will mad you..... I know people can have changes with ganja, but do not stand and argue with me that Ganja is comparable to any of the others mentioned. Like comparing a wall to a mountain, or a glass of wine to a bottle of 100 proof. You have to consider the average MDMA/LSD user (which YOU may not be) and consider....

Speaking from what I have seen, the costs far outweigh the benefits.

Messenger: ShivaJiva Sent: 1/10/2015 9:10:10 AM

And thats OK friend :) We don't all have to agree about everything. If I came off as defensive my apologies, I just find it is important not to make generalizations; and plant medicines happen to be an interest of mine so I get enthusiastic when discussing them, and that enthusiasm might not come across in text.

But back on topic... I think Humble One has a good suggestion mixing:

Lavender
Hops flowers
Valerian Root
Chamomile

For good measure, I would throw in some:

Damiana
Caapi Leaf
Mullein

Blessings, Praise to the Highest

Messenger: ShivaJiva Sent: 1/10/2015 9:15:26 AM

Ecstasy, in my opinion, does not belong in the same category as Peyote.

Secondly, yes I have also seen many people spun out and deluded from using lots of psychedelics and drugs sch as MDMA, LSD, and mushrooms. I have ALSO seen lots of people waste their lives smoking herb and doing nothing else all day. It is all about the context of how you use these substances, not the substances themselves. LSD is not addicting in any way,shape, or form--but there is a big LSD/MDMA party/rave culture right now that promotes the excessive use of these substances. I believe it's about the person taking the substance and not the substance itself--I can take LSD and have a quiet, insightful, and productive night; whereas someone else might take LSD and go out and party all weekend with it. Obviously there is a qualitative difference there in the method of use, and frankly I don't feel like I should be compared to pop-culture LSD users. I am sure you would not want to be associated with pop-culture lazy "stoner" culture?

Furthermore, the average user is not the popular portrayal you see in the media. People who use psychedelics to party eventually will have to stop. It becomes too heavy on the mind/body. Average psychedelic users are quiet and reserved and chances are that in passing you would never know that they are psychedelic afficionados.

And keep in mind that according to "official" sources, cannabis is considered harmful as well. According to those same sources, cannabis is a schedule 1 narcotic, meaning it is in the same category as all of the other psychedelics in addition to heroin and crack/cocaine. Is it possible that these official sources have an agenda? Why would they lump peyote with cannabis with heroin? Of course ganja is in a different league than LSD or peyote as far as effects go, but consider all the propoganda pushed about cannabis before we knew much about it. It was said it made you crazy, would make you murder people, would lead to making you homeless, all sorts of outlandish claims by "official sources". Is it possible the portrayal of psychedelics is on the same trajectory?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 68

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I