Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=2109&start_row=41

Selassie and the poor

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 70
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 8/28/2007 2:09:30 PM

Do not fret I Empress, i know what i say.
Far be it from I to disrespect your parents, I respect them to the utmost.
read again before sending out warnings, it is not needed.
Perhaps it would make you feel better if i just said your parents...thats kool...saying your parents names wont happen again...just remember it is not i who posted my parents name on a public forum. take it easy

Rastafari Bless

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 8/28/2007 2:11:21 PM

lol you are funny empress

Messenger: Empress Nzingha Sent: 8/28/2007 2:14:30 PM

"Before, mistakes are made, I ask this thing be done."
go back and read my post again.

rememder this quote:
"I can see, though, that you're nicely at home... here in Babylon.

Does that not make you a harlot of Rahab or Babylon or something...? At least, a daughter of the Chaldeans.

Firm up, o Mother Earth. Leave the nonsense talk and loose walk. It may be an idea to start to cover up your natty ms. Nzingha (if you have any)... the fumes are penetrating and causing your weak heart to get weaker.

Now back up banshee."

I try to keep on the lighter side of life.

Messenger: Empress Nzingha Sent: 8/28/2007 2:25:34 PM

Haile Selassie I's attitude to the Rastafarians

Haile Selassie I had no role in organizing or promoting the Rastafari movement, which for many Rastas is seen as proof of his divinity, in that he was no false prophet claiming to be God in order to enjoy the benefits of being a cult leader.[citation needed] He was a devout member of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, as demanded by his political role in Ethiopia, and it was to his role as Emperor of Ethiopia that he devoted his life. His publicly known views towards the Rastafarians varied from sympathy to polite interest reinforced by the fact that his political inclinations, including African emancipation, were those of the Rastafari movement. [citation needed]

Yet, in his speeches and writings, there is substantial material about the spiritual life and he often addressed his audience in the tone of a spiritual teacher. For instance, he wrote, "Knowing that material and spiritual progress are essential to man, we must work ceaselessly for the attainment of both . . . No one should question the faith of others, for no human can judge the ways of God." During the Emperor's visit to Jamaica, he told Rastafari community leaders that they should not emigrate to Ethiopia until they had liberated the people of Jamaica. [citation needed] On another occasion, Selassie said, "We have been a child, a boy, a youth, an adult, and finally an old man. Like everyone else. Our Lord the Creator made us like everyone else," (in an interview with Oriana Fallaci, Chicago Tribune, 24 June 1973) and the Rastafarians do see Selassie as man or flesh incarnate. On numerous occasions Selassie expressed his belief in his faith, stating that one is doomed apart from faith in Christ, who in the Tewahido faith is considered both man and God: "A rudderless ship is at the mercy of the waves and the wind, drifts wherever they take it and if there arises a whirlwind it is smashed against the rocks and becomes as if it has never existed. It is our firm belief that a soul without Christ is bound to meet with no better fate." (One Race, One Gospel, One Task, address to the World Evangelical Congress, Berlin, October 28, 1966). He also encouraged religious freedom and tolerance. "Since nobody can interfere in the realm of God we should tolerate and live side by side with those of other faiths… We wish to recall here the spirit of tolerance shown by Our Lord Jesus Christ when He gave forgiveness to all including those that crucified Him." (op. cit.) [citation needed]

Wikipedia

Messenger: Dominic Sent: 8/28/2007 2:54:28 PM

So what is everyone justificaion for nice suits and lions and gold while people was starving???

All this arguing and no reasoning!

Messenger: Empress Nzingha Sent: 8/28/2007 3:08:36 PM

Name me a royal person who denounced their wealth to feed the hungry.
I can't think of one, I could be wrong, but I don't know of any.
Wealthy people rarely understand the plight of the poor. Poor people too often praise the wealthy. Imperfection is a human institution. Divinity doesn't accumulate wealth. Wealth is a human institution.

Messenger: still looking Sent: 8/28/2007 3:16:56 PM

i think gandhi would be close --though i would not say he came from loyalty.

there is also buddha who was grown in luxury

Messenger: Empress Nzingha Sent: 8/28/2007 3:25:50 PM

Gandhi wasn't royalty, he was a lawyer.
Lord Buddah is close, being born a prince, but he left to meditate. I don't think he left to feed the poor.

Messenger: Dominic Sent: 8/28/2007 3:44:53 PM

Idren and Sistren I know you two have a overstanding about this issue, I man want to hear from RasK and Yaa.

Please Yaa and RasK, I humbly ask you for a not hostile answer.

Why did Haile Selassie I not give meat to his starving countrymen, but instead gave it to animals? Why instead of clothing the people he wore expensive suits? Why did Selassie I posses soo much gold but the people had no money? Why did Selassie I not talk of the struggle of his people in America? IF WHITE PEOPLE CAME TO AFRICA AND STOLE THE PEOPLE WHY DIDNT ANYONE GO TO AMERICA AND GET THEM???If africans went to europe and began takin people on ships europeans would be following to rescue their people.

If my god came to me as a man then Im sure he would give INI food if he saw me starving right?

Jah Guide

Messenger: Ten Sent: 8/28/2007 3:47:15 PM

as an aside Dominic (and others) you might want to write 'Ras K's' name in full, he prefers it so. Bless.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 70

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I