Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=2109&start_row=1

Selassie and the poor

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 70
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: musicman Sent: 8/25/2007 7:39:53 AM

I was wondering what is thought of the fact that Selassie was living a life of luxury while many in his country were living in poverty? I have read that he had pet lions that were getting more food than many people in the country. How many cars did he have? I know he did some nice work for the country, but i do not see the holiness in a man who treated lions better than people.

Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 8/25/2007 9:28:42 AM

Ises High

While packing and all the stuff it seems I still got too much time. Well ok, but since this is a serious topic I feel that time is well invested right now.

First of all, what would have changed when Selassie I would have lived like the poor? Would that have made situation better for the poor?

Besides that, from one of His Majesty's most trusted foreign companions, Prof Edward Ullendorf, we know that Emperor personally lived a very frugal life. The thing was, that he had to fit into the "Emperor role" like Ethiopia expected it. You can't compare that to a western kind of thinking. In Ethiopia's history there was always a symbiotic working together of all classes. There were the peasants and the nobles, and all worked together and needed each other.

Even the poorest ethiopian will tell you how proud he is of the pomp and gold and luxury of the Queen of Sheba, Menelik I, Lalibela and all those great kings throughout history. Although he himself is poor, he needs and wants a gloriuos, luxurious and respected History, Culture, Religion, Nation, Kingdom, Government and King. This is the Ethiopian's identity.

Thos people who knew the Emperor personally all told those things of a frugal life, like his friends, schollars, servants, cooks etc. But he realized that he had to fit into Ethiopia's expectations of how an Emperor must be. But he himself was used to a very normal upbringing as Ras Makonnen was also very frugal.

A next thing is, one must overstand that His Majesty said that those who do not work want to be poor.

Selah

Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 8/25/2007 9:36:06 AM

Blessed Love

As I chanting up some Selassie I Words for my trod right now, I came across a Word which shows some things HIM did with his money.

June 27, 1962
”We will pay the taxes, due for the last two years, of those people whose harvests have been destroyed by locusts. We are doing this so that the Eritrean treasury may not face a deficit.” -HIM Haile Selassie I

Selah

Messenger: Selahssie i son Sent: 8/25/2007 1:38:30 PM

Haile Selahssie Defended the poor and the needy he also fed the hungry,refrain youself from the conduct of propaganda.The O.A.U.was form by Haile Selahssie to solve the issues of poverty etc.So dont confuse the thing musicman iah.Christ was not honour in his own country and poverty was also in his country.Haile Selahssie know what poverty was all about so dont try to say the king was a selfseeker.Haile Selahssie Was the First to tax the churches of Ethiopia to help poor people benefit.Haile Selahssie was a king for poor.Christ was rich too,so you fight against that?Also king Jes,se king David king Solomon etc.Haile Selahssie share his wealth with the poor people of country.Spiritual and material progress must be in pace.

Messenger: musicman Sent: 8/25/2007 2:43:03 PM

It seems a little strange that he would be feeding his lions meat while there were people starving.

I am by no means a Rastafarian, so it might be easier for me to look at this a little more objectively.

I do not really know the bible to well, but i never got the impression that jesus was rich.

Thank You for taking the time to respond.

Messenger: Dominic Sent: 8/25/2007 6:11:19 PM

Your right, Jahsus was by no means a rich man.

Messenger: still looking Sent: 8/25/2007 8:11:25 PM

respect bro d.

"one must overstand that His Majesty said that those who do not work want to be poor."

could you tell i in what context was he saying this -- because the way you have it posted it seems like a narrow minded ignorant statement and i would be shocked if he said it as it sounds.

i live in an inner city and there are people not working who are poor and they do not wish to be poor.

please clarify if possible

thanks

Messenger: Dominic Sent: 8/26/2007 6:10:54 PM

There are people everyday who struggle and work Overtime and still dont make enough money to eat healty, have healthcare etc.

There are single moms and many people out there who are poor and its not just because they "dont work"

Sorry...I guess I just cant go along with that being a reasonable excuse to explain poverty problems across the world, its not just because people "dont work"

PEACE

Messenger: Empress Nzingha Sent: 8/26/2007 7:23:52 PM

The average poor person works more hours a week than the average wealthy person. Some people work two or more full time jobs and still don't have the basic neccesities many have come to believe are essential (clean water for instance). In most third world countries (developing nations if you prefer) children begin to work as soon as they are able and continue to work 6 or 7 days a week until they die or are simply no longer able. Poverty is an institution created by the elite (old money), the royal class and the criminal minded (business/corporate persons) as a means of creating lack in order to attain wealth. It is this system that regulates taxes, inflation and market saturation (how much of any commodity is available for public purchase at any given moment) in such a way that creates invisible wealth for banks, governments and investors. No developed country in the world actually has the liquid assets (imediatly available funds) to pay off its debt. The world banking system creates the illusion of currency by utilizing the illusion of credit. When you put money in the bank the bank uses that money to buy, sell and loan. No bank has the actual hard currency to cash out all accounts at the same time. In fact, if enough people asked to withdraw the balance of their accounts at once, the banks would go bankrupt. They charge you to use your money under the guise of storing/saving it, and then reward you with intrest for not taking your money out. Anyone who has been charge $20 (or more) for going $0.10 over their balance knows this scam all too well. Some accounts have a clause that charges heavy fines for withdrawing money before a set maturity time, this is so the bank can invest your money in its own name and collect what is essentially free money. But those of us who choose not to utilize the banking system find that we are also charged for this. For instance, employers pay employees in check form only (or direct deposit), they do not have a cash option. In order to cash a check without a bank account you have to either pay a check cashing place or give ID and a fingerprint to the bank who issues the check. Money orders cost money. Try ordering something over the phone or internet without a bank account or a credit card.

Poverty is an illusion, there is enough for everyone, some people just collect way more than their share.

Messenger: Dominic Sent: 8/27/2007 11:19:32 PM

What to yall think bout this?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 70

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I