Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=143&start_row=31

wearing dread locks

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: the rock Sent: 1/10/2004 9:12:01 AM

bigg up man
lets simmmer down
thats good lets each one teach one
sonone22

Messenger: MICHAEL Sent: 1/10/2004 10:08:54 AM

Hail Brother Japhet I.......great words come outta you........InI feel good inside when my bredren dread understands InI........thank you much for seeing the LIGHT an passing it on to I......Iman is strong......thank you bredren........too many Ras Tas look at the outside.........you say it....the good word......if InI was a lot younger InI would still have dreads.......but unfortunatelly in my line of work it is not SAFE.....InI had many a close calls....that is why InI cut thy dreads.....if JAH wanted me to join HIM in heaven InI dont think it would be as a result of stupidity.....so InI cut thy hair....InI cried for days......ver sad man InI was.....but InI have seen HIS light....and it is alright with HIM...that is what InI believe an no-MAN can tell me different....it does help InI when my bredren an sistaws understand though......praise to H.I.M. and praise Ethiopia........your brother Michael........JAH RAS TAFARI..........

Messenger: the rock Sent: 1/10/2004 10:11:30 AM

The most identifiable characteristic of Rastafarians are the matted hair or locks and beard which adorn the head. This practice was supposed to have first began when pictures of CaHa and Masai tribesmen from last Africa with matted hair appeared in Jamaica sometime after 193O, and several Rastafarian followers adopted it.

It must be noted however, that the practice was first noticed thousands of years ago on the mummies of ancient Africans, some of which are available for viewing in Egypt, Africa.

The matted hair became the mark of identity of members of the movement and to some the only criteria. The practice was then confirmed by the Biblical verses:

Numbers 6:5
All the days of the vow of his separation there shall be no razor come upon his head until the days be fulfilled in which he separateth himself unto the Lord, he shall be holy and shall the locks of the hair of his head grow.

Leviticus 19:27
Ye shall not round the corner of your
heads, neither shall thou mar the corners of thy beard.

Ezekiel 8:3
And he put forth the form of a hand and took me by a lock of mine head.
Song of Solomon 5:11
His head is as the most fine gold. His locks are bushy and black as a raven.

Further justifying the practice are pictures of the Emperor at age six which shows him with hair in matted fashion. The hair when matted is called by several names such as 'Janks,"Nats,' 'Locks, 'Dread,' 'Crowning Glory,' 'Bongo,' etc. Whi1e becoming the identity mark of the movement worldwide it has also served the purpose of discrediting, when used by criminal and dishonest elements. Many Rastas, because of domestic or economic reasons do not wear their hair in 'locks' but are identified otherwise, chiefly by the use of the movement's colors. In Trinidad children who were born with Rasta type hair were treated as very special and were known by the African term of 'Dada Flair.'

Messenger: the rock Sent: 1/10/2004 10:15:59 AM

The only way to face the arduous tests posed by life is to be spiritually prepared for them."

"Discipline of the mind is a basic ingredient of genuine morality, and therefore of spiritual strength."

"Whenever conflict arises between material and spiritual values, the conscience plays an important role, and anyone who suffers from a guilty conscience is never free from this problem until he makes peace with his conscience."

"Spiritual power is the eternal guide, in this life and the life after, for man ranks supreme among all creatures Led forward by spiritual power, man can reach the summit destined for him by the great Creator,"

"Man, who is by nature selfish, must learn that only in serving others can he reach the full stature or attain the noble destinies for which God created him."

"Knowing that material and spiritual progress are essential to man, we must ceaselessly work for the equal attainment of both. Only then shall we be able to acquire that absolute inner calm so necessary to our well being."

Messenger: the rock Sent: 1/10/2004 10:22:47 AM

Judges 16
1 Then went Samson to Gaza, and saw there an harlot, and went in unto her.
2 And it was told the Gazites, saying, Samson is come hither. And they compassed him in, and laid wait for him all night in the gate of the city, and were quiet all the night, saying, In the morning, when it is day, we shall kill him.
3 And Samson lay till midnight, and arose at midnight, and took the doors of the gate of the city, and the two posts, and went away with them, bar and all, and put them upon his shoulders, and carried them up to the top of an hill that is before Hebron.
4 And it came to pass afterward, that he loved a woman in the valley of Sorek, whose name was Delilah.
5 And the lords of the Philistines came up unto her, and said unto her, Entice him, and see wherein his great strength lieth, and by what means we may prevail against him, that we may bind him to afflict him; and we will give thee every one of us eleven hundred pieces of silver.
6 And Delilah said to Samson, Tell me, I pray thee, wherein thy great strength lieth, and wherewith thou mightest be bound to afflict thee.
7 And Samson said unto her, If they bind me with seven green withs that were never dried, then shall I be weak, and be as another man.
8 Then the lords of the Philistines brought up to her seven green withs which had not been dried, and she bound him with them.
9 Now there were men lying in wait, abiding with her in the chamber. And she said unto him, The Philistines be upon thee, Samson. And he brake the withs, as a thread of tow is broken when it toucheth the fire. So his strength was not known.
10 And Delilah said unto Samson, Behold, thou hast mocked me, and told me lies: now tell me, I pray thee, wherewith thou mightest be bound.
11 And he said unto her, If they bind me fast with new ropes that never were occupied, then shall I be weak, and be as another man.
12 Delilah therefore took new ropes, and bound him therewith, and said unto him, The Philistines be upon thee, Samson. And there were liers in wait abiding in the chamber. And he brake them from off his arms like a thread.
13 And Delilah said unto Samson, Hitherto thou hast mocked me, and told me lies: tell me wherewith thou mightest be bound. And he said unto her, If thou weavest the seven locks of my head with the web.
14 And she fastened it with the pin, and said unto him, The Philistines be upon thee, Samson. And he awaked out of his sleep, and went away with the pin of the beam, and with the web.
15 And she said unto him, How canst thou say, I love thee, when thine heart is not with me? thou hast mocked me these three times, and hast not told me wherein thy great strength lieth.
16 And it came to pass, when she pressed him daily with her words, and urged him, so that his soul was vexed unto death;
17 That he told her all his heart, and said unto her, There hath not come a razor upon mine head; for I have been a Nazarite unto God from my mother's womb: if I be shaven, then my strength will go from me, and I shall become weak, and be like any other man.
18 And when Delilah saw that he had told her all his heart, she sent and called for the lords of the Philistines, saying, Come up this once, for he hath shewed me all his heart. Then the lords of the Philistines came up unto her, and brought money in their hand.
19 And she made him sleep upon her knees; and she called for a man, and she caused him to shave off the seven locks of his head; and she began to afflict him, and his strength went from him.
20 And she said, The Philistines be upon thee, Samson. And he awoke out of his sleep, and said, I will go out as at other times before, and shake myself. And he wist not that the LORD was departed from him.
21 But the Philistines took him, and put out his eyes, and brought him down to Gaza, and bound him with fetters of brass; and he did grind in the prison house.
22 Howbeit the hair of his head began to grow again after he was shaven.
23 Then the lords of the Philistines gathered them together for to offer a great sacrifice unto Dagon their god, and to rejoice: for they said, Our god hath delivered Samson our enemy into our hand.
24 And when the people saw him, they praised their god: for they said, Our god hath delivered into our hands our enemy, and the destroyer of our country, which slew many of us.
25 And it came to pass, when their hearts were merry, that they said, Call for Samson, that he may make us sport. And they called for Samson out of the prison house; and he made them sport: and they set him between the pillars.
26 And Samson said unto the lad that held him by the hand, Suffer me that I may feel the pillars whereupon the house standeth, that I may lean upon them.
27 Now the house was full of men and women; and all the lords of the Philistines were there; and there were upon the roof about three thousand men and women, that beheld while Samson made sport.
28 And Samson called unto the LORD, and said, O Lord God, remember me, I pray thee, and strengthen me, I pray thee, only this once, O God, that I may be at once avenged of the Philistines for my two eyes.
29 And Samson took hold of the two middle pillars upon which the house stood, and on which it was borne up, of the one with his right hand, and of the other with his left.
30 And Samson said, Let me die with the Philistines. And he bowed himself with all his might; and the house fell upon the lords, and upon all the people that were therein. So the dead which he slew at his death were more than they which he slew in his life.
31 Then his brethren and all the house of his father came down, and took him, and brought him up, and buried him between Zorah and Eshtaol in the buryingplace of Manoah his father. And he judged Israel twenty years.

Public Domain

Messenger: MICHAEL Sent: 1/10/2004 1:08:09 PM

hey rock........what do you suppose InI do.....starve......live on the street.....in the cold with hunger in thy families belly.....it seems that brother japhet is the only elder in this forum......you are not telling this man what he hasnt already known for 25 years........tell me something besides your textbook philosophy rock...........everything you post comes not out of thy mouth but from a book........do you not think dreads study......tell me something InI do not know.........all you do is repeat , repeat , repeat ........we can study ourselve..........maybe you think dreads are stupid.........but we KNOW DA TRUTH..........so we can LIVE da truth...........

Messenger: mdjonas Sent: 1/10/2004 1:49:38 PM

That expression sound hostile to most people, Michael. But I know it is love.... just that I think it is better to speak in a peaceful tone whenever it is possible.
Obviously Rock feels that quoting the scripture is important.

Neverthess, it is obvious that some people are putting the cart before the horse. I believe that in some situations the strict adherence to nature is very arrogant. Obviously the almighty puts us in situations where it is not wise to grow locks, and other physical actions that might be ideal in our ideologies also become unwise because of our surroundings. We must understand that our Father places us where we are, and that the situation He puts us in is not always "ideal" according to our lifestyle preferences. So we must submit to his will and do the best we can in the circumstances, which might mean shaving, or eating meat, or many other things that we detest in our minds. This is a sacrifice, which is part of our submission to His will.
This is my opinion, and I am aware that some disagree. Do those people have any good reasons for disagreeing that they are able to express on the forum? If you can't express why you feel that way it doesn't mean you're wrong.........

Messenger: the rock Sent: 1/10/2004 2:16:17 PM

What is an elder and who are you? Why do you keep attacking me .. go smoke a joint then youll see Im not your inermy.. Im not telling this man anything, I read something and I am sharing it.. unto your asking I posted it first in my own words.. I love it, keep coming with your advisarial attacks. I mean go smoke a joint research some s.it and then hollar back.. but dont just read it, meditate on it. So you dont sound like a provoker of unrest
Peace be unto you.. cause I am way unto peace
sonone22
The Rock

Messenger: mdjonas Sent: 1/10/2004 2:23:26 PM

The only adversary is ignorance of the truth. If a man says something that is not so right that doesn't make him the adversary of anybody. Obviously there are no enemies here.
However, I believe that we should all strive to speak in such a way that others will perceive peace. It is good to speak in a kind way as much as possible. And there is definitely no need for anger here. We should think about what we have to say so that we can avoid any negative elements.
As we reason together we are all uniting to destroy our common enemy, which is ignorance of the truth. We do so by learning together about the truth, and reasoning is the weapon we use. So there are definitely no enemies here. I know we all agree about that point, so there is no need for a quarrel.
What about locks? Let us get back to the point!

Messenger: Brother Jahphet I Sent: 1/10/2004 4:07:59 PM

Iman is an Elder? No man.... I man is Youthman!
And I think the youngest on this board... hehe...

Bro Jahphet I

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I