Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=143&start_row=21

wearing dread locks

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ark I Sent: 1/9/2004 12:59:30 PM

Seen,

I didn't think about the hard hat. It is true that it is important for the hard hat to be tight, your life is much more important than hair.

But for those that don't require a hard hat, but work in a dirty environment, the turban is a great way to protect I and locks from dust and dirt, and to keep them in place.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Brother Jahphet I Sent: 1/9/2004 2:39:37 PM

Greetings I

Yes Ark I man, but that is just how it is...
For me that is important, to show who I am... not to show, who I do not be!
You know... since Iman is thirteen years old.... my locks grow this way. It is the consciousness and respect I had/have... seeing so much dreadheads without any respect... Iman did not wanted to be like them...
The good thing is... all of this dreadheads etc ask Iman when they see I... what is the purpose of this individual way of growing locks... Iman tell them... Iman teach them... respect!

I do not know how to say it right in english... here one would say.. "man soll sich nicht mit fremden federn schmücken" ... hehe... meaning... never try to make people believe something, because of your appearance, that you actually are not...
This is my way... personal vow... personal sign!

Like I said.. where I live it can be very dangerous to wear locks... especially when one is alone...
But I couldn´t look into the mirror if I would cut my locks because of fear!

And for those who can not grow locks because of work... do you know what InI Elderman James Jah Lightening Campbell did in this situation?

Bro Jahph I

Messenger: ijah Sent: 1/9/2004 2:49:32 PM

Greetings Dreadlocks, Let H.I.M. be praised itinualy

Brotha Michae respect!!!....Most of the time,iman wear I turban,and it always fits well,tight and good....I can hang upperdown,and it wont get loose
inI always prefer I turban rather than I bandana....
Stormy weather,rough winds,it always stays there pon top op i head//

So..me nah know why you have such bad expieriences with wearing a turban..Do ye haffe enough locks to fill it????Mek sure it is one for your size,otherwise it will not feel and remain comfortable..if ye nah wanna loose ye tam,it surelu haffe be worn tight!!!!Thats what gives it also this ``mushroom`` look...Years ago i also worn a tam,not thight,with most part of them locks hanging half inna me nek.me nah liked it,nor it easy in turning yeself around,or lookin back or so..From then,when i knew,i always stick it up,like a mushroom it becomes....In that way it also gives ye this DREADFULL appeareance,ye know....as if ye wear your{visible} aura on top of ye head

Iman must add that having thick locks is more easier fe usage of a turban {if worn like a mushroom,i mean}....neath and thin locks wont stick firm unto their places that easyly as is with hugh and thick locks///InI know that these tams which they sell in some shops,are made by machine,and therefore nah haffe the right shape.So,if buying one in wrong shape,it will never fir well.
inI is lucky one...I tams are handmade by the organplayer of the band we have..She is very handy in wools and cottons and so.Therefore me tams are unique in design also..InI is proud,showing them who me is
Babylon cyant keep a good man down...JAH LAUGHS THE BEST

HAIL H.I.M. OneLove&Inity

ijah

Messenger: ijah Sent: 1/9/2004 3:14:07 PM

Bro Japh

InI cannot agree with this words you ve said:

``...those who cannot grow locks because of their jobs...``

Wey ye sight Justice???
Wey ye sight Babylon??
Wey ye sight Declaration of Human Rights??

InI cyant agree with that...if one wan fe growe locks because he/she feels he/she should seperate him/herself from babylon,and on the other side,because of the vow he/she teks.....Then tell me...Here comes babylon towards a man...The man a growed him dread because of resistance and the vow and so.Next thing babylon offers him a job,but to beget the job,he first haffe trim his beard and cutoff him locks
NAAHHH...if that man a go do so,him not committed unto JAH,i say.,cause if him was,he would never let his locks be cutted at all
Also not on the sides of the head...Money and more of them collective securitys fe surity them guarantee to all,..they all have none to do with JAH ,ye know..NOTHIN AT ALL.....it are things developed by the BABYLONIANS..and thats what i refuse and fight against,will always be,JAH IS GUIDE in all {earthly} circumstances

So,therefore Iman cannot agree with these words

it is I right fe wear i hear as i want fe wear it..SEEN
And that is a law,not written by babylon,but it is a right we begot from JAH..SEEEEN??

What me wan fe mek clear is that if ye feel committed to JAH,treu and honest,pure ,and upright,without any intentions,then there will be no man on earth whom tell you fe go cut it off{...if one knows thyself ,ofcourse...}

Besides...InI is a rebel,a revolutionair from the first hour
Me nah support Babylon shitstem{the less as possible...eh}
Therefore workfloors,industrys,jobs,and more of them games,nah fit in i sight concerning living out RasTafari....If ye not a rebel ,ye must be a devil

OneLove&Inity

ijah

Messenger: MICHAEL Sent: 1/9/2004 4:21:33 PM

Hail my fellow dreads........Hail to H.I M. ........praise the good word........InI can tell you that InI was raised in this American Babylon.......Ini been workin since 15 years old.......which led ultimatley in me having a pretty big family.......ab empress an 3 chilfre......if you want to see you r family get the right EDUCATION and the right health insurance ( doctors )......you will work in the shitstem......especially here in U.S.A........InI go to JAHMAYKA as much as possible.....InI stay in Hopewell in Hanover.....elevation 1200 feet.......InI always go to Nine Mile to pay respect to Marley ( elevation 3,400 feet ) and to study with the Ras Ta man.........InI then travel to Kingston to study amonsgt the Twelve Tribes on Cloeesegen Street.........after years of wearing dread locks InI finally realized ( like so many of my dreads have told me ) that it alright.....no problem.....its what inside NOT out........any man who thinks that way has a lot of learning to do..........TO KNOW THE TRUTH IS TO SPEAK THE TRUTH IS TO LIVE THE TRUTH.............praise to JAH Ras Tafari...........praise to all my bredren an sistaws out there.........

Messenger: Reed Sent: 1/9/2004 6:12:05 PM

Greetings all...

I and I just decided to let I hair grow the way its supposed to about two months ago. its getting pretty locked up already, the way jah intended for it to grow.. I and I was just wondering though, how long did my fellow bredren's locks take to fully lock up?

I and I dont care how long it takes, time doesnt matter, i am just curious to see how long it took.

Praise HIM
Praise JAH

Messenger: Zion Child Sent: 1/9/2004 7:01:43 PM

I&I had been struggling since I was fifteen to have my hair grow in locs. My father and mother refused and shook their head. I had to stand firm in what i wanted to do. When I turned 18, I grew my hair into locs, they were cultivated because my mother refused to let them just grow. But, now I feel truly liberated and free because I know Jah ordained it from the foundation of the earth. As a daughter of the Most High, I know I wasn't born to have straight blond hair, I was born with the curly-kink' hair, can't get a comb through. Now,I know why I was struggling with the comb and hot comb, 'cause my hair wanted to be free. I give Jah praises because He has shown me not just about locs, but about the total livity. "May we be like trees planted by the rivers of water...bring forth fruit in due season...our life and locs never wither." (Psalm 1)

Zion Child

Messenger: Nefertiti Sent: 1/10/2004 12:44:20 AM

Beloved Community.....
Jah Rasta Far I......LOVE LOVE LOVE....

ONLY JAH knows why, how, when, where, who and what is "DREADLOCKS' ya site.... no one here be judging the I for that.....

Raspectfully INI site that consider the ways when "Babylon" $hti$tem become a part of the locking....Nefertiti say this with full heart....Be AWARE of ANYTHING that BABYLON puts pon I in fullfillment of JAH i-ration.....

Consider ancients and thier fearlessness in the face of Babylon's laws....looking at and deciding upon spiritual or physical death.....in colonialism, imperialism, capitalism, communism, and legalism, religionism, and yes,,,rastafarISM (fiyah pon that word--no such thing as that ISM)!,,,,and losing thier physical life OFTEN....site Selasssie I site Jesus, site Stephen....

INI not saying "do" nor "don't", not this way or that way, not here or there, not how or when, INI site "what is Babylon got anything to do or say about this at all????? KNOW INI

INI JAH -AWESOME- JAH LIVES AND REIGNS OVER HEAVEN AND EARTH
WITH WISDOM POWER AND LOVE---JAH RASTA FAR I IS AWESOME>>>>>>>

Messenger: peter mloyi Sent: 1/10/2004 8:45:29 AM

I'n'I wanna talk 'bout Dreadlocks inna africa.
Iman was born rised and still living inna africa. after my schoolind i start to grow locks of my hair. at University it was not a problem I conquer it well. after i tried to sucure a job, there problems begins for a teacher with dreads. I was really confused, I move outa Tanzania to Namibia every one say it will not work. I apply a job as a teacher I was advised by the said 'loved ones' to shun my locks to secure a work. I can't remember how fool i was to agree with them, but still i didn't secure that job. I moved to cape town in south africa it is hard there to get a job and a working visa so a strugled on the streets foe four years with my degree and poverty.
I got confused again. I returnned home last november and start to look for a job again I had already send 6 applications and attend 2 interviews last one today, I did had a hard time to tell them how i can teach with dreadlocks as if they are a teaching aid! i'm really sad for what is happening to me, with best university qualifications i strugles to get a job! this time i'm gonna stick to Jah if i succeed it is Jah's choice,I don't believe he will let me down.
I am not alone with this cry we are flooded here in Africa with the same story.
It is really shame for africa.
Rastafari I.
Mloyi.

Messenger: Brother Jahphet I Sent: 1/10/2004 9:07:10 AM

Greetings I

Ijah man, you didn´t understand my post at all!
Do you know what Jah Lightening said when his bossman said, "cut your locks or loose your job"? This Rastafarian Elder said "I prefer life over silver and gold!" Here that power!
He went into the hills of Hanover and never returned to his workingplace... seeen?
I man wanted to give the ones who must cut there hair for job an inspiration!
Iman is not one of those.... Iman is student... so Iman nah cut I hear for job... Iman covenant I did! Seen?
So maybe the I now understand, that I spoke FOR the dread, not against!

But when one must feed his family... little children... then cut your locks to find a job!
No pharasene buiz! Life much more worth!
Don´t you think Jah know, that your family is more important?
No matter how long the locks are, when your little children are hungry, sick or even dying... because of this... then nothing can rescue one from Jah blazing fyah!
never think hair is more important than life!

Dreadlocks is a personal way... he who want go it, goes it...
Everybody knows best for himself!

Iman is dread rebell! That is I way... Rastafar-I way!
But Iman never judge or even think Iman is better than the non-dread Rasta! Never think!

I know a brother... him lived for years inna Ethiopia... and did much for the Rasta Movement there. A real Ras... real DREAD!
After 14 years he ended his vow and cut his hair... long long dreadlocks...
Who would try to judge a man who did so much for the Movement just because of his hair? Iman not!

Go YOUR way... never think, that is the only right way!

Brother Jahphet I

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I