Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5604&start_row=11

Diet as according to scripture

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 85
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 4/12/2014 9:39:25 AM

^^The new testament verses are typically the argument of Christians for eating whatever they like. Thanks for posting your view and nobody is casting judgement.

But Rastafari trod for the majority *does* include a dietary adaption. Most Rasta, within this trod have made some kind of change to their plate. So when you say it is not about food I dont know king. Does a way of life not include what one eats?

Melchezidek... Do the I eat pork? meat?..... flesh? If so...

Have the I not checked it from a health point of view?

Does the I deal in the concept of 'one life' ??

Give thanks

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 4/12/2014 10:15:40 AM

When look for truth scripture cauz CONfusion to I by da same vrs and same writer Paul, but goin to d root of dat dey say Jesus followed d law. So go see what d law say, NO pork so no pork and others. Then go futha back Adam only green herbs n fruits so greens n fruits. Then well Jesus ate fish so fish. Then well only way to not eat blood don eat no animal. Then read about long time it take to digest beef. Then hear say blacks don digest animal as well as whites do and rotten meat stayin in digestive system. So a while with no flesh. Then jus cudnt stomach flesh no more when try eating fish it Wudnt work. So no flesh rite now for I, but scripture leads to lots of CONfusion n separation so can't deal in dat deh dat way jus follow d I within I!!!!

Blessed!!!

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 4/13/2014 7:05:29 AM

A lesson from scripture about fruit and veg diet vs flesh / 'royal' diets....

Daniel’s Training in Babylon

1 In the third year of the reign of Jehoiakim king of Judah, Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon came to Jerusalem and besieged it. 2 And the Lord delivered Jehoiakim king of Judah into his hand, along with some of the articles from the temple of God. These he carried off to the temple of his god in Babylonia[a] and put in the treasure house of his god.

3 Then the king ordered Ashpenaz, chief of his court officials, to bring into the king’s service some of the Israelites from the royal family and the nobility— 4 young men without any physical defect, handsome, showing aptitude for every kind of learning, well informed, quick to understand, and qualified to serve in the king’s palace. He was to teach them the language and literature of the Babylonians.[b] 5 The king assigned them a daily amount of food and wine from the king’s table. They were to be trained for three years, and after that they were to enter the king’s service.

6 Among those who were chosen were some from Judah: Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah. 7 The chief official gave them new names: to Daniel, the name Belteshazzar; to Hananiah, Shadrach; to Mishael, Meshach; and to Azariah, Abednego.

8 But Daniel resolved not to defile himself with the royal food and wine, and he asked the chief official for permission not to defile himself this way. 9 Now God had caused the official to show favor and compassion to Daniel, 10 but the official told Daniel, “I am afraid of my lord the king, who has assigned your[c] food and drink. Why should he see you looking worse than the other young men your age? The king would then have my head because of you.”

11 Daniel then said to the guard whom the chief official had appointed over Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah, 12 “Please test your servants for ten days: Give us nothing but vegetables to eat and water to drink. 13 Then compare our appearance with that of the young men who eat the royal food, and treat your servants in accordance with what you see.” 14 So he agreed to this and tested them for ten days.

15 At the end of the ten days they looked healthier and better nourished than any of the young men who ate the royal food. 16 So the guard took away their choice food and the wine they were to drink and gave them vegetables instead.

Messenger: RAS-NATE-1995 Sent: 4/13/2014 8:33:24 AM

Give thanks for the scripture GA.

I opinion is that human beings are natural plant eaters,and are not meant to eat meat.Not only because of the health benefits of an Ital diet,but there are also many other things that show that InI are not made flesh eating predators.One of these obvious things are InI teeth...

And regarding scripture and Ital diet,there are many other things in the Torah that also tell InI that InI can and should live from herbs and plants alone.

I think most of these things or even all,are sumed up and explained in the book:Judaism and vegetarianism.The free book is available,just google it and add pdf.

HOTEP

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 4/13/2014 10:01:33 AM

Give thANKHs I, never see dat deh!

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 4/13/2014 10:12:32 AM

Yes Iyah, it's said humans digestive tract is long like herbivores vs shorter ones of carnivores which allows for a quick passing of flesh where as meat stays too long in a humans body which allows for disease to spring from d decaying flesh. Dis one white person told me he has a Black Patna who went had his tract cleansed and had 9 pounds of rotten beef n pork in him say doctor told him Blacks don't digest meat as well as whites but he don't know y and from dat day hie Patna stop eatin beef n pork!

Messenger: RAS-NATE-1995 Sent: 4/13/2014 11:51:39 AM

Truth king.

Here are some reasons I found to stop eating meat:

Health Reasons:

1. Lower risk of cancer. The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine has reported that vegetarians are less likely to get cancer by 25 to 50 percent.

2. Lower risk of heart disease. Researchers Dr. Dean Ornish and Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn have a program that includes a vegetarian diet and is currently one of the few programs that has been proven to reverse heart disease. A vegetarian diet reduces cholesterol.

3. Lower risk of osteoporosis. Studies have shown that too much protein in our diet causes loss of bone calcium. Meat eaters generally get far more protein than they need or can use.

4. Lower risk of kidney and gallstones. The calcium leached from the bones by the body's efforts to neutralize the acids produce by too much protein intake can end up forming kidney stones and gall stones.

5. Factory farmed animals carry disease. According to the FDA poultry is the number one source of food-borne illness. Despite the heavy use of pesticides and antibiotics, up to 60% percent of chickens sold at the supermarket are infected with live salmonella bacteria. Approximately 30% of all pork products are contaminated with toxoplasmosis. We are increasingly at risk from highly contagious diseases like Mad Cow Disease and Foot and Mouth disease in sheep and cattle.

6. Factory-farmed animals contain toxic chemicals. Meat contains accumulations of pesticides and other chemicals up to 14 times more concentrated than those in plant foods. Half of all antibiotics used in the U.S. are used in farm animals and 90% of those are not used to treat infections but are instead used as growth promoters.

Environmental Reasons:

7. Inefficient use of agriculture. 70% of U.S. grain production is used to feed farm animals. The grains and soybeans fed to animals to produce the amount of meat consumed by the average American in one year could feed seven people for the same period.

8. Inefficient use of water. It takes 2640 gallons of water to produce one pound of edible beef. The water used to raise animals for food is more than half the water used in the United States.

9. Inefficient use of energy.
Calories of fossil fuel needed to produce 1 calorie of protein in beef: 28.
Calories of fossil fuel needed to produce 1 calorie of protein in soybeans: 2.

10. Environmental Pollution. Raising animals for food is the biggest polluter of our water and topsoil. Factory farm animal waste pollutes the ground and groundwater horribly.

11. Destruction of natural habitat. It takes more land to raise animals for food than it does to produce the equivalent nutritional value by raising edible plants. Rain forests are being destroyed to make room for huge cattle ranches. Coyotes and other animals are poisoned and shot by western cattle ranchers who consider federal land to be their land for grazing.

Animal Rights Reasons:

12. Animals on factory farms are over-crowded. They spend their brief lives in crowded and ammonia-filled conditions, many of them so cramped that they can't even turn around or spread a wing.

13. Animals on factory farms are tortured. Within days of birth, for example, chickens have their beaks seared off with a hot blade. Animals are hung upside down and their throats are sliced open, often while they're fully conscious.

14. Animals on factory farms are treated like machines. They are pumped up with drugs, fed their own waste and forced to grow or produce as fast as possible. They are subjected to 24-hour artificial lighting while being crammed into tiny cages one on top of the other to make it easier to harvest.

Messenger: Jah Dub Sent: 4/13/2014 12:43:48 PM

Well said, Ras-Nate!
I don't eat meat for the same reasons.....plus I just don't like the greasy, oil & fleshy taste

Jah Bless

Messenger: Path Walker Sent: 4/14/2014 2:37:50 PM

I like many here don't eat any meat or dairy, abstain from alcohol and caffeine, all for a combination of spiritual, ethical, and biological reasons.

Jah Child, your comment on athletics made me think. Can you or anybody else point me towards a good book or resource on vegan nutrition? Something that will help me to make sure I am truly eating in a balanced way.

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 4/15/2014 2:01:56 PM

Blessed love Idren.
Iyah Path Walker, I do not have a suggestion for literature on vegan eating - I simply eat rainbow colors of organic fruits and vegetables, chickpeas and black beans, kamut, a lot of quinoa, black and wild rice, spelt, almonds and sometimes other nuts, seeds like flax and hemp, occasionally oat meal but not often, cook with coconut oil, and drink as much water every day as possible.
I listen to the cravings of I temple to know what I&I need to consume because I find that the cravings are usually clues to tell I which nutrients are needed. Except the unhealthy cravings, like craving cakes or something, which are vestiges from former addictions to sugar and unhealthy foods. But as I&I fill the temple with healthy fuel, the cravings for the junk are diminished and eventually stop coming up.
I honestly don't think the I needs a book, just avoid processed food, mix grains and beans, eat the most colorful plants the I can find, in as much variety as Iman can find, and listen to the temple, and give Isis to the Most I for the fuel to keep living in righteousness.
Reading newly published articles about health and nutrition can give Iman more tips, but the information is not always definitive and can change in a day. So KeepItSimpleSilly as I Kingman always says - just follow the Irit and eat organic produce, Iman will stay healthiest this way no matter the changing tides of health fads.
Bless up, RA hotep.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 85

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I