Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6293&start_row=1

Mixed lightskinned Blacks/Afticans

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 46
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 11/21/2015 7:28:13 PM

How does d I dem, d African I's view them as a representation for InI?
I mean really light skin almost European complexion, straight or slick curly hair more Europiod in features but from one Black parent. Now I dont trmean weather d I consider as African/Black brother/sister but as being a face for InI in the public eye or wuthin Rastafari as leadership or what have we.

Take Barak Obama for instance a black father white mother but not necessarily raised with his black side or in a black culture to truly know the black experience

I ask because I know a brother with a son by a white lady and the son look pretty nuch pure white but closer look at him he has resemblance of his father. Someone not knowing him would never think he has a black father, he looks more European than Damian Marley and Dr. Phil Valentine. I personally dont like the idea of someone like this being the face for InI.

Where should their place be in a Black movement such as RastafarI?

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 11/21/2015 9:54:26 PM

This is a delicate subject. I overs the reason why this question gets asked, considering how much light skinned, damn near white, gets glorified in babylon. There is no denying that fact. Historically speaking, under a system of white supremacy, light skinned Afrikans have been given more opportunities and generally been USED to DIVIDE and CONQUER.

But, as Pan Afrikans, we can't fall victim to dem color games. If we start using the "paper bag test" in reverse, measuring and weighing degrees of melanin, we would have to reject a HUGE part of the Afrikan Iaspora.

As I always maintain, we have light skinned warriors and dark skinned "negro-saxons". I'd rather deal with a Phil Valentine then a Ben Carson any day!

There is no better "face" for RasTafari other then His Majesty HIMSELF. He's light skinned, fine featured, often mistaken for Arab, not your Nigerian type features and complexion. I can't tell you how many times I've heard the ignorant comment that HIM doesn't "look African"! FIYAH!

Part if InI beauty as Afrikan People is how beautifully varied we are. One cannot define an Afrikan by any particular shade, eye color, hair texture and features. And we've been varied long before european mixing into our gene pool.

I'm more concerned with InI MINDSET then degrees of melanin. An Afrikan worldview speaks louder then complexion. Black we black, in all our varying complexions.

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 11/21/2015 9:59:07 PM

By the way...I was Iditating on some "Tough Questions" for Afrikan Rasta, and that would have been my first question! LOL

ONENESS

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 11/21/2015 10:00:57 PM

Lol but Phil Valentine has made me wonder.... Especially seeing as he was long the one championing the power of melanin

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 11/21/2015 10:08:04 PM

LOL Garveys!!

Ya'll need to leave brothah Phil alone...lol

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 11/21/2015 11:08:34 PM

I hear Goddess with the mindset of the person but as d I say being that InI hv been in dis babylon white supremacy almost white is better black, this couldnt be good for the overall black redeeming mindset. After all there is a reason the label black was put on I, not sayin everyone was that shade but...

With HIM i think everyone culturally African conscious knows of that type Ethiopian typical look and how it differd from most Western Africans but maybe not but that is a different thing from being mixed person in black movement

Does a person with one black automatically becomes black? Even if they have a white parent?

Take Selassie I and Empress Menen I light skinn Horner look with Afro hair style
take Obama light skin African type facial display and hair

But someone like Dr Phil after being told bout black dis black dat, picky head dis n dat, itll be almost like we carrying on n sending out that same msg.

I mean we already have bleaching problems, relaxer and so on. I judt dont think its good for thesubconscious mind.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 11/22/2015 7:30:12 AM

Maybe the 'face' should be a mixture of faces as we are one of the most if not the most diverse people genetically. Many of the Koisan are not midnite-black and their bloodline goes back the furthest

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 11/22/2015 9:59:18 AM

Discrimination from whites and other groups remains a big problem for blacks. But colorism is just as serious, if not more so. Colorism saps our strength from the inside. It weakens our power and ability to fight the outside forces that keep us marginalized in larger society. 

----from The AAPRP (All African People's Revolutionary Party) ideological training guidelines, coming from the ideology of Kwame Nkrumah, Sekou Ture, Marcus Garvey, and other pan afrikans

Malcolm X was light skin,Huey Newton was light skin,Web Dubois light skin,plenty of balck panthers in the 60s were light skin. There has been light skin black folk that contributed to the black struggle worldwide.

Marcus Garvey was heavily influenced by Booker T. Washington's (a "mulatto") ideas of Black Capitalism and Black Self-Sufficiency. He was inspired by Booker T. Washington's book Up from Slavery.

There are un-mixed African ethnicities that have a common trait of 'light skin', for example the San people (as brothah Garveys mentioned) in Southern Africa. The Igbo as well.

And while colorism does have an effect on our society - anytime we play into that mess is just simply us playing into white people's game and only divides us more.

Willie Lynch letter: The Making of a Slave

The Black slaves after receiving this indoctrination shall carry on and will become self-refueling and self-generating for HUNDREDS of years, maybeTHOUSANDS. Don’t forget, you must pitch the OLD black male vs. theYOUNG black male, and the YOUNG black male against the OLD black male. You must use the DARK skin slaves vs. the LIGHT skin slaves, and the LIGHT skin slaves vs. the DARK skin slaves. You must use the FEMALEvs. the MALE, and the MALE vs. the FEMALE. You must also have white servants and overseers [who] distrust all Blacks. But it is NECESSARY THAT YOUR SLAVES TRUST AND DEPEND ON US. THEY MUST LOVE, RESPECT AND TRUST ONLY US. Gentlemen, these kits are your keys to control. Use them. Have your wives and children use them, never miss an opportunity. IF USED INTENSELY FOR ONE YEAR, THE SLAVES THEMSELVES WILL REMAIN PERPETUALLY DISTRUSTFUL. 

African by Peter Tosh

Don't care where you come from
As long as you're a black man, you're an African
No mind your nationality
You have got the identity of an African

'Cause if your plexion high, high, high
If your complexion low, low
And if your plexion in between, you're an African

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 11/22/2015 10:42:10 AM

https://youtu.be/wJ_8Ib2lCHg

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 11/22/2015 12:15:12 PM

Seems like a majority of black leaders in the US were lightskin or mulatto but I think thats from the racist majority and their colorism policies.
Even with the Rosa Parks ordeal their were darker more African featured president that did the same thing in the same state but got no recognition "Claudette Colvin". The first black mayor in the US was mulatto, first black president a mulatto.
Im not for excluding our lighter family out of family affairs. How fix the psyche of a population of majority medium/dark brown who been beat down with lighter is better, softer hair is better, straight nose better? We are a family of many shades and sometime the lighter family may feel they have to prove tgeir blackness as they may catch heat from the darker family members.

Maybe Im a little to harsh but I dont feel that Obama type thing with a mixed black/white being representative for blacks. What I mean is to I when people are talking a step forward or victory for blacks "oh America has a black president", I dont think should be a 50/50 black.

Iself is not darkskin

"New Orleans Creole" part 3 @11:20 on youtube this is the type of "black" im reffering to

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 46

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I