Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6053&start_row=21

Entheogens

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 25
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 4/26/2015 4:32:41 AM

Known to who?

As I said, never happened. If this was happen in the future....... The herbs get thrown away and the herbsman ran down

Seriously, either people smoking some laced herb. Or getting their information from people who don't smoke herb and may have a pre existing agenda against it. Or even May be people who already have some of dem other drug thing in they system or people who are mental unstable in the first place. I speak from experience as an Italist herbsman

Messenger: ShivaJiva Sent: 4/26/2015 6:31:54 PM

Cannabis is psychedelic. Some people are more susceptible to its effects than others. I have a close friend who only smokes herb on special occasions because the effects are too strong. It causes him to "hallucinate". He has no pre-existing mental conditions and the herb is never laced with anything. Everyone reacts to substances differently, and some people are just more sensitive. I personally have taken long breaks from cannabis, and then intentionally ingested a large dose of edibles. When I do this I usually meditate and pray, or just lay down and try to turn my attention inward. I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that cannabis can elucidate intense psychedelic experiences.

I believe that if even the most experienced herbsman, if given a sufficient edible dose, would have an experience comparable to a low dose of mushrooms.

Cannabis can also facilitate out of body experiences, time dilation, synesthesia, and other classic psychedelic effects. There are numerous subjective reports widely available. There is a wide body of medical/scientific literature which supports this; the psychedelic effects of cannabis are widely documented. In my opinion this is why cannabis has been used spiritually throughout human history...it's a psychedelic, it expands your mind/consciousness. It puts you in a trance. Smoke it all of the time and you develop a tolerance.

I understand cannabis might not make you personally hallucinate, and it does not for most people. I would be extremely concerned if someone were to only smoke a small amount and start hallucinating right away...in such cases there are very likely other factors at play (could be laced, mental health, etc...) But in general I feel it is safe to say that cannabis is categorized as a psychedelic for a reason, and that it can and does cause hallucinations at sufficient doses and/or in those who are particularly sensitive.

I see your original point though. There is a huge difference between the subjective effects of cannabis and mushrooms. I can go about my day unimpaired with cannabis, while that is not possible for most people on mushrooms. Cannabis, when utilized in a casual setting, will not facilitate experiences comparable to a full blown psychedelic experience. I agree with you here and for me to compare the two in this context is like comparing apples and oranges.

But again I only brought it up to play devils advocate...as a technicality I guess. Im just trying to illustrate that when we talk about things like "hallucinations" we can make arbitrary distinctions. A drug is a drug. Some of them work for some people, others dont. If a substance is improving your quality of life and helping you to be a better person, without harming your health, I could care less if it makes you hallucinate or not.

All of this said, Im not trying to encourage psychedelics. There are many, many reasons people should not take entheogens and I think they are valid reasons--but because they make you "hallucinate" is not a strong argument in my opinion. If you dont want to take mushrooms because you believe they are harmful and the intensity of their effects is cause for concern, I understand. That is sound logic. But simply because they make you "hallucinate" is arbitrary. Cannabis makes you "hallucinate" too, and can also cause panic attacks, anxiety, paranoia, abnormal/deranged thinking, and incapacitation. Seen?

I view all entheogens as tools, including cannabis. None of them are inherently good or bad; they can be misused and they can be dangerous. They can also be incredibly helpful, and like any other tool they are only as useful as the person using them. Any idiot with a hammer can swing it around and hit things, and any fool can smoke a joint or eat mushrooms...but it takes a carpenter with intent and knowledge to take that hammer and build a house with it.

I didn't mean to get re-involved with this discussion and Im getting carried away here. Regardless of my ramblings, I do see what you are saying GA and I fundamentally agree with the point you are making. I just think there are layers to everything and while I do agree, I want to offer my perspective for you to consider. I know where you stand though and this conversation isnt necessarily relevant to Rastafari, so my apologies for adding fuel to the fire.

In peace :)

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 4/26/2015 7:27:51 PM

Point taken.
Much love

Messenger: ShivaJiva Sent: 4/26/2015 7:31:43 PM

Much love :)

Beautiful picture by the way

Respect,

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 4/29/2015 8:31:31 PM

some rasta may even refer to the bible to justify their use of weed. i agree that it's just something natural and like the whole world admits nowadays, it's medicine. they're might be some negative aspects if you are using it all the time and if you use the effect to get more and more into bad vibrations or even smoke it with tobacco but i know that there are also rasta who won't smoke.

to me, i think that cannabis sativa is a very useful plant. i thin that to smoke ganja might even heal you and the negative sides itself are almost to ignore (although it must be clear that there are some side effects...especially if you smoke while drinking...) but that doesn't mean that i have to that often (or all day) to reach a level of endless inspiration or to reach a higher consciousness. i'd use it to support my meditation, to set my mind straight, to get rid of all the stress, to get inspired...but not all day and not every day and even not every week.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 25

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I