Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6053&start_row=11

Entheogens

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 25
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Hemphill Sent: 4/12/2015 3:34:37 PM

Humble one: IandI have tried the magic mushrooms[manna] I had a beautiful introspective experience. Like JAH Child, I saw the universal connective pattern. I came into contact with new levels of thinking.. The main reason why I condone GanJAH more than others, is because the Human body, while in the womb and while receiving breast milk, acquires natural cannabinoid receptors. Humans are meant, from birth, to be entwined with GanJAH; it is inside of our DNA..

Other spiritual guiding plants should only be used when necessary, not every day as in GanJAH's case. A one cannot even 'trip' on mushrooms two days in a row, the body recognizes the substance as food poisoning and will leave a person feeling quite drained after consuming a moderate to large amount.. Needing to get the substance digested before another dose can be accepted.. GanJAH can be used multiple times everyday.. Basically, I see GanJAH as intrinsic to Human life, everyone should use it in one way or another.. The other 'more powerful' plants such as Payote, Manna, Ayahuasca, should only be used as medicinal.. When needed and carefully.. If a ones mind was never shut, thus not needing re-opened, why take the 'powerful' substances at all? Wreck-creationally? Not I..

Bless
One Love

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 4/12/2015 3:59:58 PM

Iylahfull reasoning King,
Give Ise for mentioning the endogenous cannabinoids which Itribute significantly to the entire neurological Ivelopment of a human even within the womb; also called endocannabinoids.
Bless JAH herb Haile I

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 4/13/2015 8:43:08 AM

"Interesting GA from what I read on the other thread that you have never tripped on cannabis (ie you have had cannabis but not tripped or "hallucinated"), and if you hallucinated you would have serious words with the person who sold it to you"

Haha! I stand by it. But lol.....

Yeah maybe the word hallucinate was the wrong word to use for true and I am one who really pay attention to such detail..... Smoke herbs and start to visually see things that completely are not there? No sa...... I wouldn't smoke and drive so much if that the case!

Really though. And higher consciousness / opening up of third eye or whatever else might be used to describe a herbs meditation is NOT the same as saying hallucinate. I would say herbs give you a higher perception of REALITY not make believe

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 4/13/2015 8:47:41 AM

This kinda talking why many Ras only burn Ital sensi and wouldn't touch dem weed ya...... Sour diesel, purple haze, Etc: none at all ! Force bred to the 4th generation labarotory chemical ferti under artificial sunlight weeds....... Some say are not for rasta.

Never mind anything else!

Messenger: Humble one Sent: 4/23/2015 5:48:33 AM

I just posted this on another thread but felt it was relevant to this thread too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17666589

Don't be swayed by the bbc's views on this, because they are the same people who outlaw cannabis...

But at least the link gives you an idea of what it is

-----------------------------------------

Ibogaine is derived from an African plant and is used to induce a spiritual experience in the addiction sufferer. It has been found to be absolutely miraculous in curing addiction.

The plant is traditionally used by the Bwiti tribe in Gabon.

I don't know whether the fact that it is used by a traditional African tribe changes the perspective on "other entheogens".

But still, bbc's definition of saying it induces "hallucinations" doesn't help, because that is exactly what Garveys Africa and others want to avoid... But the traditional African use of this most definitely isn't "halluctinations" but rather spiritual experience.

---------

From the eyes of a slave the wise man looks mad, and so bbc may PERCEIVE it as hallucinations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31480234

And don't forget these are the same people that say cannabis causes hallucinations; (direct quote from above link)

"Psychosis refers to delusions or hallucinations that can be present in certain psychiatric conditions such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. ", and according to them cannabis causes psychosis.

All the best,

Joe

Messenger: ShivaJiva Sent: 4/23/2015 10:47:55 PM

Long time since I decided to stop by here.

Looks like I was beaten to it, but iboga is an African plant and it has been utilized by African peoples for thousands of years. It is widely hailed as an unprecedented breakthrough treatment for serious addictions, though iboga should not be taken lightly under any circumstances as it can be fatal. As far as entheogens go, I would say this is a good example of something that black people have used historically. I do not know this 100%, so dont take me at my word, but I feel confident saying that iboga has been used by black people as a spiritual tool for far longer than cannabis. I very well might be mistaken here, though a quick google search should provide the answer.

With the exceptions of cannabis, mushrooms, and iboga, there is no evidence which supports that entheogens have been widely used by African people. In fact, of the few that we know were utilized in Africa, usage was not widespread and was very likely refined to very specific cultures/regions.

I personally would refrain from bringing this topic up here. I've been lurking for a few months now since my last visit and there always seems to be the same people bringing up entheogens in every thread. I understand and share your enthusiasm, as a psychonaut myself, but frankly I would caution against trying to "spread the word" so to speak.

I also would like to briefly add that since Rastafari is concerned with race and the issue of appropriation is often discussed here, I should just say that I would be extremely careful about using sacred cacti and medicines such as ayahuasca or salvia divinorum. Indigenous people have very strong feelings about the use of their medicines by outsiders. If you're uncertain, I'm happy to point you in the right direction for reference.

And finally, just to play devils advocate, I want to bring up GA's point here:
"Yeah maybe the word hallucinate was the wrong word to use for true and I am one who really pay attention to such detail..... Smoke herbs and start to visually see things that completely are not there? No sa...... I wouldn't smoke and drive so much if that the case!

Really though. And higher consciousness / opening up of third eye or whatever else might be used to describe a herbs meditation is NOT the same as saying hallucinate. I would say herbs give you a higher perception of REALITY not make believe"

I feel where youre coming from. I would just say that it is unfortunate that when we think of psychedelics we think of hallucinations and seeing things that arent there. For me, psychedelics are similar to cannabis in that they also give me a higher perception of reality. Like with cannabis, it is possible to get caught up in your own thoughts/daydreams, and so of course it is possible to experience fantasies with entheogens. But this is also possible with cannabis and virtually any other substance. Anyone who smokes the herb would be a liar if they said they never had strange/silly thoughts from it. I have seen people have panic attacks and "go crazy" (to paraphrase Lemuel) from smoking cannabis on more than one occasion.

Just food for thought. :)

Blessings

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 4/24/2015 3:56:16 PM

King I don't play with words. The bredda earlier on referred to cannabis causing hallucinations. Hallucinate as I suggested is maybe not the correct word for describing what he meant. Nevertheless the word hallucinate was used.

Hallucinate literally means perceiving what is not real.

Abstract thoughts, daydreaming, and the other things you described are NOT hallucinations. Seen? To suggest they are is disingenuous as I'm sure you know this. If I get RED and star thinking about whatever, my insight remains intact and I am aware of the difference between thought and reality.

And all this come from a statement in a previous thread MONTHS ago where I told ones if I buy herbs from a man and start to have visual or audio hallucinations (not 'silly thoughts') I would give the herbs back and cuss the man fe my money....... And put some fire under him too! But to focus of the hallucination part of my argument is to not grasp what I'm truly saying.

Raspec

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 4/24/2015 4:15:16 PM

Del

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 4/24/2015 4:16:45 PM

Rastafari culture

Messenger: ShivaJiva Sent: 4/24/2015 11:44:50 PM

I do see what you mean, and there is a stark difference between silly thoughts and hallucinations.

Cannabis is known to cause hallucinations at high dosages though. So while I totally agree, just for curiosity's sake what do you make of this?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 25

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I