Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=601&start_row=61

The Vow of the Nazarite

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 79
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Nyah Jahphet Anbassa I Sent: 2/24/2005 4:05:08 PM

Ises!

I have a brethren who is very well educated on the ancient Essenes. What I have to say now briefly is, that those US Essene Hippis have nothing todo with the ancient Essenes, and their writings like the Gospel of Peace etc also not.

Selah

Messenger: JosephI Sent: 2/24/2005 9:36:00 PM

Give Thanks Ark I for the reason and knowledge.

What exactly is the difference between a Nazarene and a Nazarite?

Also, were not the only ones who were Nazarite by birth, Samson, Samuel and Iyesus? Thats not to say there were not others who were Nazarites...but only by way of the vow. This is what I have heard.

Give thanks I-tinually
One Love
Joseph I

Messenger: bw Sent: 2/24/2005 9:44:17 PM

i was talking to a ras today and he said that there was not a place called nazareth. if it was it was because it was full of people who took the nazarite vow.

i also need understanding...if jesus was a nazarite, how come he touched the dead body of the little girl...forgot where it was in the bible.

Messenger: Ras ElIjah Sent: 2/24/2005 9:47:47 PM

That isnt a Ras, a wolf in sheeps clothing :) . He obviously dont know what he is talking about.

Ras ElIjah

Messenger: NineMile2004 Sent: 2/24/2005 11:12:10 PM

Yeah lets bash the hippies.

I have respect for them, many of them spread one love and fought the system in a similar way as RASTA does.

If InI are Rasta from the beginning........then Hippies are the same....just because someone is not aware of who they are does not mean they are not who they are.

JAH RastafarI

Much Love

Bergy

Messenger: the rock Sent: 2/24/2005 11:22:58 PM

SEEN, I was going to say something like that.

onelove

Messenger: SisMenenI Sent: 2/24/2005 11:24:10 PM

Nyah Jahphet Anbassa I-

The I mentioned the US Essene hippies and how they don't have anything to do with the ancient Essenes... what was unclear to me is whether you were validating the writings like the Essene Gospel of Peace to be a real writing from the Ancient Essenes or you are saying they are false? I am also familiar with these people, an interesting group really. But I also have a Rastafari bredren that is on the Essene Ites and he has told me that the Essene Gospels are accurate. Interested in what the I thinks...
Give thanks

RASTAFARI

Messenger: Nyah Jahphet Anbassa I Sent: 2/25/2005 5:39:50 AM

Ightes!

Yes, there are some socalled Rases with those US Essenes, for example Jah Levi the musician... and I do not come to judge no man, to get this clear.
All I can say, that I have a Ras Brethren who is really well educated about the ancient qumran Essenes, and he also took a close look on that US Essenes... and he said that they have NOTHING to do with the ancient Essenes, except that they took their name.
If the Is are really interested I could ask the brethren to open a topic here about this, or I could study his teachings and share them here then.
From what I remember this Ras telling me is: The ancient Essens were NOT christians and had nocthing to do with christianity, also they were downstroyed in 70 after chr and ceased to exist from there on. There only true scriptures were found at qumran, while the US Essenes claim that their Gospels were hidden in India, this is just ridiculous! I have an article about this, which I will share, as the Empress seems to be interested in that gospel.

To the others, I didn't intend an anti-hippie thread here, this is just how I would call those US Essenes.

I also heard that there wasn't a place called Nazareth at Yeshuah's time, but I also know that this is not known for shure, the historians are not shure about this.
When I sight Yeshuah's livity I sight that it is not the "normal" Nazarite Livity, but maybe there were different vows of Nazarites in those times? As Samson killed people he touched them... and so Yeshuah is said that he also touched deads and drank grape juice. Nazarite is Hebrew and just means "sacred, holy, seperated", and is not specially about Num6, so an Israelite who seperated himself for JAH with a sacred vow could have been seen as Nazarite.
I for myself do not see a reason in Yeshuah beeing a Nazarite, he was JAH himself and has no need to sanctify himself. But I am not very shure about this...

Selah

Messenger: Nyah Jahphet Anbassa I Sent: 2/25/2005 7:02:16 AM

Ises!

Here is the article, Empress.

The Gospel of Peace

With the exception of the Book of Mormon, this is probably the most widely known book discussed on this website. According to publishers, it has been sold in more than 400,000 copies. As literature, it is a better read than most hoaxes. Yet it is without a doubt a forgery.

According to the author, Edmond Székely, this is a genuine antique manuscript which exists in two copies. The first is written in Old Slavonic and is in the National Library at Vienna. The second is in Aramaic and belongs to the secret archives of the Vatican Library. There were also fragments in Hebrew at the Benedictine monastery of Monte Cassino. Székely was a "health food" oriented Hungarian-French physician, head of a successful "biogenic" institute in San Diego, California. He died in 1979.

The publishing of this book has a rather complicated history. It was first printed in England in 1937 under the title The Gospel of Peace of Jesus Christ by the disciple John. The preface of that edition claims that this is only a part of the manuscripts but that the rest was being translated and would be published soon. But nothing happened until 1974 when two more volumes were published. In Britain these are named The Gospel of the Essenes, while the American edition containing all three volumes is entitled The Essene Gospel of Peace.

The find story

Székely's own story about himself says that he went to a Catholic school where the headmaster gave him an opportunity to study in Rome with Monsignor Angelo Mercati, the prefect or the Archivio Segreto. This was where he discovered the Aramaic manuscript in 1923-24. At a visit to Monte Cassino, he found Hebrew fragments which corresponded to the Aramaic text. Székely is very vague about the exact circumstances and doesn't even say if the manuscript is a scroll or a codex.

Reading such a vast Aramaic manuscript is a qualified task even for a scholar. Copying it is a matter of years, not to mention translating it. This does not worry Székely. He "read" the manuscript in Msgr Mercati's room and apparently this was enough because soon after, he left and never saw Mercati again. How did he come into possession of the text? Did he have photocopies? He does not say. Even with modern technology it is difficult to make photos or photocopies that are good enough for a scientific edition. Perhaps we should expect to find some information about this at the university of Paris, where Székely claims to have presented his finds in 1925. However, the thesis is conveniantly lost and Székely never named what professor examined it.

We know even less about the alleged Old Slavonic version. Székely himself tells us nothing of when and why he went to Vienna. The publisher's catalogue lists Székely's impressive knowledge of languages, but says nothing of any skills in Slavic languages. Later editions of the "Gospel of Peace" do not even mention the Old Slavonic manuscript. Many questions are unanswered here. However, Székely did publish a Hebrew text which we must assume is the one he claims to have found at Monte Cassino. It is 15 pages of non-vocalized text which does contain the first part of the Gospel of Peace, with some omissions and aberrations. It is written in correct Hebrew of a post-Biblical variant, much like what one finds in the Mishna.

So what's the explanation here? If none of the ancient manuscripts ever existed, where did the Hebrew text come from? Székely needs to show us at least one text in the original language, He doesn't know any of these languages, and finding someone who can translate from a modern language into Old Slavonic or Aramaic is very difficult. But in the USA it is fairly easy to find a learned Jew who is able to translate into acceptable Hebrew. The difference between modern spoken Hebrew and that of the Bible isn't very great, and both the old Testament and the Mishna are still used by Jews in the original language. Hence, we got a Hebrew text but no Aramaic or Old Slavonic. Székely cannot have been ignorant of that Monte Cassino was bombed to smithereens during WWII, erasing every trace of what was never actually there.

The continued translation

At the first publication, Székely claimed that he had only translated one eighth of the manuscript text. As we know, the rest of the text wasn't published until nearly 40 years later. In the 1974 edition of the complete text, the "one eighth" has grown to one third. The preface to this book contains several other alterations to the claims made in 1937 -- but it is still dated 1937 -- a blatant lie.

Not only has the text of the original book been re-edited. It is also obvious that the later two thirds of the text is significantly different from the first. The apostle John is no longer important, but the Essenes play a central role. We can safely assume that it is the find of the Dead Sea scrolls which has given Székely inspiration. In 1937, Székely claimed to have a single gospel written in the first century and preserved in Hebrew fragments and two complete translations, Aramaic and Old Slavonic. In 1974, there is no longer a complete gospel, just a partial gospel and then a lot of fragments with contents suspiciously like the Dead Sea scrolls.

http://home.swipnet.se/corbie/Fuskwww

Selah

Messenger: NineMile2004 Sent: 2/25/2005 7:54:43 AM

Nyah,

The post that made me post was actually from TEF. Thanks for all your insightful postings Nyah.

ONE LOVE

Bergy

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 79

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I