Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=2100&start_row=11

Food from the vine

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 33
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ark I Sent: 8/22/2007 10:54:25 PM

I think the vine is refering only to the grape vine, and have always thought this. If you look at the word vineyard, it is only (or at least almost only) used in reference to a grape vine yard. The bible we read was translated by Europeans, and many countries in Europe call wine vino or something similar. The word wine was derived from the Latin word vinum. And also if you look up the word vine in many dictionaries, you will find that one of the definitions is the grape plant.

Here is a reasoning I made before. After this experience, I Iverstood why the grape was singled out over other plants.

----------------------------
When I first started my trod with RasTafarI, I didn't know why the grape was singled out as something I and I should stay away from. Even though I didn't know, I accepted it anyway and abstained from anything from the grape vine, and stayed away from all alcohol and flesh.

After a couple of years, I started asking Jah to show I why I shouldn't eat grapes. He finally gave I the answer one summer.

A few years ago, I was visiting my parents in a small town where I used to live, in Canada. I went to a park there that I have been to often in the past, and sat down and had some Ganja.

As I was sitting an old Mexican man started walking in my direction. Birds followed him as he came towards I. The Mexican man looked like a homeless man, I never saw him before in my life and I never saw him again afterward. And it is strange for something like this to happen in that town, because their was only one lady that appears homeless in that city, and even she wasn't really a vagrant, because she owned property, but she was poor.

The man asked if he could sit down beside I, and I said "OK". He said to I, "The birds followed me here, I can talk to the birds, you know". He then started speaking in Spanish to the birds. I noticed one of the birds walking in a shy kind of manner and the man said to I, "that one is shy".

The town is off of the St.Lawrence River in Canada. He pointed across the river towards the U.S.A and said to I, "you want to fight them" and then he shook his head and said, "the fight is not there, it is here" while pointing to his head.

He then held up a paper bag that had a can of beer in it and said, "I sometimes drink beer, but I don't like to drink wine because it brings down my powers"

So this was the answer to I question. There must be some property in grape that hinders I and I spiritual powers. For a Nazarite, this is unacceptable, because I and I are to be separated unto Jah and be holy.

But the spirit is more powerful than any physical thing, so it is not necessary to stay away from certain foods, but I think it is helpfull for a spiritual movement.
----------------------------

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 8/22/2007 10:57:10 PM

still looking,

The Nazarite Vow and the grape restriction can be found in the Bible in the book of Numbers chapter 6. Not all of Israelite was required to take this Vow, only those that separated themselves unto Jah RasTafarI.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 8/22/2007 11:11:09 PM

Give thanks for the utterance , brethren, well appriciloved

Rastafari

Messenger: still looking Sent: 8/23/2007 7:03:42 AM

respect ark i

much thanks for the post --- i look up numbers

peace

Messenger: Ten Sent: 8/23/2007 7:47:48 AM

Praises
Give Thanks for your reasoning and your story Ark I, its true alcohol does cloud the spirit. Like this old Mexican man feeling weakened by it, others too have lost their strength. For I the mass commercial farming of grapes to make wine my fundamental gripe, in addition to the Vow as the I explained it. In Cape Town mainly the Colored People on the street are called berkies (Afrikaans for beggars) and you see them on the street reeking of cheap wine just lying on the pavement and their lips swollen and reddened by the many years of drinking. They roam the streets asking for a rand, two rand, anything just so they get their daily fix from Seven Eleven. And when I started rising, I rose with Black and Brown Lions n Lionesses who would tell me of South Africa's incient history as KhoiSan people and it'd pain me to see how alcohol had gotten into the system of the people. It cripples them and when I'd see them begging in the street I'd think you should Kings and Queens in this place, in this hour not living in this way. Its got such a terrible hold on people, even in Zim I know many youths that could have been great achievers but they got trapped by the booze. It really clouds your judgement and inhibits you from excelling...But as an aside Ark I don't think its the property in grape per se that makes it inoxicating, but its the process of making alcohol. You can make wine from apples, vodka and saki from potatoes, beer can be made from barley malt and you get traditional brews too made from cereal grains like millet, rapoko and maize. In Zim you have traditional brews called seven days, tototo, mahewu and all sorts made from maize meal, millet etc and they're fermented to make a strong brew. So for I its the process of fermentation and that strong link of wine and grapes that makes I over the Vow as specific to grapes, though I've nothing against them specfically, they're Jah Creation that Man chose to use in a negative way. Blessed Love.

Messenger: Yaa Asantewa Sent: 8/23/2007 11:27:06 AM

Give thanks Ark-I.

I loved the anecdote. The shy bird got me. How sweet is the mystic.

I wonder further if the bringing down of the Iemple's ivels via consuming grape wine have some root in the make up of vine fruits per se. Like, I wonder if the property of vine fruit relating to the wild tendency of vine growth has something to do with it? If anything? Obviously the vine restrictions in the Nazarine vow extends to all fruits of the vine, including yam and chow chow...

I do wonder what the specific issue is with vine produce generally speaking?

I eat yam said way though. I can't stop eat yam. Unless someone has succinct reasoning on the iritical detriment. Any offers?

Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 8/23/2007 1:10:04 PM

Blessed Love

Maybe it's because of the english translations. In other languages there is no doubt that these verses do only revere to grapes and products made from it.

In an apocryphical (I believe there are even more than one) you might find one try to explain this thing. There the "fruit of sin" from Genesis is a grape vine.
Nazarene is the Ancient I, Adam was a Nazarene, Nazarene is back to the Roots. That is why you don't eat meat (like in Gen), you don't use those fancy comb and scissors, you don't deal with death whatsoever, ya a natural and simple man in flesh and spirit.
That is why I believe that this apocryphe's explanation fits into that picture. So the grapevine is symbolical for the Ancient I to stay away from the tempting sin fruit. Like a metapher, when you can't even avoid grapes, how could you aviod evilness?

From a exegetic point of view one has to clearly state that yes Yeshuah was a Nazarene in sense of a Nazarite. The hebrew word Nazir was translated into different languages with different endings. So for hebrew NAZIRite and NAZIRene is both the same.
Besides that in the original greek scriptoures it does not say "Jesus from Nazareth" but always Iyesos Nazaraios, which later on was interpreted as "Jesus the Nazarenian" (meanaing "from Nazareth")
But Nazaraios in Greek is much more similar to the Septuaginta's Translation of Nazir than to the greek form of Nazareth.
The most important and acknowledged biblical greek-english dictionary states that it is very doubtful that there was ever a connection between the term Nazaraios and the town Nazareth.

Selah

Messenger: Yaa Asantewa Sent: 8/24/2007 9:17:35 AM

So, is there a doubt that Christ was even from Nazareth? Is it possible that it was Christ the Nazrine that has been misinterpreted as being Christ of Nazareth?

Argh. And he's just gone off to Ethiopia..! Just when he stopped shouting at me, and started to teach me. Dang.

Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 8/24/2007 10:04:53 AM

Ises Beloved

No not yet... between packing my backpack I still have some time to reason. ;)

Yes you are right, it's not sure if Nazareth existed during Christ's days. Because the first time it was mentioned and written down is I believe a few hundred years after Christ. That is why there are some exegetic scholars who think it's reasonable to say Nazareth got it's name from Christ's "title" Nazoraios later on, and not the other way round.

Well to me, being an exegetic schollar myself, this theory does not really sound reasonable. Because if you doubt the existence of Nazareth in Christ's days you have to doubt the biblical witnesses which mention this town very clearly.

To me the most simple explanation is the best one, but somehow most scholars never got that point.
I do not see any contradiction in saying that BOTH is true, that Yeshuah was a Nazarene and that he lived in the city of Nazareth.
Why not? Nazarenes were not that rare in Israel. And it's very likely that Christ was not the only Nazarene living in Nazareth.
So it's just a coincidence. Just an example because somebody mentioned it before: it's like a Wales-hunter living in Wales. Is that soo unlikely?

I myself once have written an Essay about Yeshuah being a Nazirene. But unfortunatley I didn't write it in english and it never got translated.
But the I should check this site which gives a very good biblical statement, allthough I do not agree with other writings of that site.

This is one of the mystics which, if revealed, leads I n I away from euro-christian misunderstanding to the true African Mystics in Israel.

Selah

Messenger: still looking Sent: 8/24/2007 6:24:01 PM

does one beer or glass of wine hurt the spirit?

if a person has had their life ruined by alcohol is it the alcohol or the person that should be blamed?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 33

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I