Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=2100&start_row=1

Food from the vine

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 33
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: prophecy Sent: 8/22/2007 3:17:24 PM

Blessed, I would like to know what foods I cannot eat as a nazerite. I know nothing from the vine, but can someone list all the foods from a vine?
The obvious is grapes, but I don't know the rest. For instance, I didn't real eyes sweet potatoe is from the vine and I n I not suppose to eat pumpkin, but wat else. Give thanx..

Messenger: Ten Sent: 8/22/2007 3:55:00 PM

Greetings
Sweet Potatoes are a root vegetables so are pumpkins, but they are from perennial vine plants, but for I, I consider them root vegetables. It depends on how far you want to take the law forbidding vine foods because you get passion fruit, kiwi, akebia, tomatoes that grow from vine trees. I prefer to think in the context in which this law applies to I, for I cannot eat grapes because of that close association between grapes and liquor - I know you canget alcohol from all sorts of things like apples and potatoes - but I can't bring myself to eat them. Other fruits and veg I've mentioned I do eat because I don't apply the vine rule as a hard and fast one, but in this present day, in my present context I take it to mean alcohol because of its negatively intoxicating effect on the spirit and the damaging impact its had on I n I people since the advent of modernity in Africa (not to say its evil has not affected the world at large but having grown up seeing its effect on African people since its where I grew up I speak this way.) Bless

Messenger: Ten Sent: 8/22/2007 4:07:47 PM

But then again the vine is also a commonly used image in the Ible as The Word says in John 15 v 5 "I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing" and Luke also says "For I say unto you, that I will not drink at all of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God come." Constantly there are comparisons of the Church to the vineyard in the NT and in the OT the vineyards of En-gedi (Cant. 1:14), Heshbon, Sibmah, Jazer, Elealeh (Isa. 16:8-10; Jer. 48:32, 34), and Helbon (Ezek. 27:18), were celebrated. Its important to look at the whole of the Bible to over all the laws of the Nazarite and not only look at it as a solitary verse - its a profound law whose I think will take I a lifetime to truly manifest - to think, live and act righteously in spirit and body.

Messenger: 505Rasta Sent: 8/22/2007 6:21:20 PM

Vine are associated with being settled and prosperous back then. Being an ancient Nazarite you would be a roaming Ascetic.

Messenger: Ten Sent: 8/22/2007 6:34:41 PM

Praises I
Give thanks for the reasoning. What about the NT, Yesus was a Nazarite but He too speaks of the vine in the book of John as quoted above.

Messenger: still looking Sent: 8/22/2007 6:37:00 PM

respect and sorry for my ignorance,

i have never heard of a dietary restriction of any religion that forbid the consuming of vine foods -----would someone mind explaining where it comes from.

i see ten saying something about a connection with alcohol ---- i would love more info.

sorry --- i just saw tens other post --so is it a biblical law?

thanks

peace

Messenger: 505Rasta Sent: 8/22/2007 7:22:55 PM

Jesus a Nazarite? He was a NAZERENE but not a Nazarite. And Still Looking look in Numbers 6

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 8/22/2007 7:36:24 PM

That is a good point brethren, a good reminder

Just curious on why the I them are looking for similarities between when the ible speaks of the vine literally, and when it speaks of the vine symbolically
Isnt that like trying to find similarity between when the ible speaks of the devil as the serpent and then it tells you that you must be wise as a serpent?
well maybe not exactly, but you get my point.....?

Blessed
Rastafari

Messenger: Ras Bredren Nicholas Sent: 8/22/2007 7:43:56 PM

Prophecy Ises Iyah.

I would cite, that since scripture specifically say no vine tree and tings......then InI nah eat from it ya know? I take the Vow of a Nazarite to follow in the footsteps of Yeshua Haile Selassie I and for years i read the scripture and cite that it speaks of the grape vine only, but if one sees other vine trees that are potential to InI use that cant be eaten for the Vow, then I would not to eat it....I figure that it is what One would feel is correct. If the I can say fullness is in nah consuption of a vine tree then follow the fullness. the scrpiture Leviticus ch.11 also cites up clean and unclean animals to InI use as InI are to stay clean and pure for the days of InI separation. personally...the only animal i will eat is fish that i catch Iself......i just put the clean and unclean thing up for Ones that may eat meat.

give Ises ten for Ones knowledge of the Nazarite Livity pon InI scriptures. Bless.

oh and Yes I....505 rasta.....Yeshua Cristos is/was most definate;y under the sanctification of vowing a vow of the Nazarite. Give praise. Blessed Love InI. Jah RasTafarI Immanuel Haile I Selassie I...IverLIveth

Messenger: Ras Bredren Nicholas Sent: 8/22/2007 7:45:43 PM

Yes I Ras KebreAB Ises....Seen. Bless Ones and Ones.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 33

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I