Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=4622&start_row=11

Nazirite Vows

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 42
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 5/11/2015 3:28:50 PM

right now my heart is flirting every hour of the day with the imaginations of the nazirite vows.

but i know i have to learn more about it. even though i'm ready to really dedicate my life to it.

what i ask myself is why there are some rastaa who claim that they stay true to the nazirite vows but yet they are walking around with shaved faces and/ or shortened locks. it is possible to refer to the nazarite vows when it comes to "dreadlocks" in general without staying true to the other commandments? (alcohol, vinegar, funerals...)

i know that rasta is about staying natural but there are also many rastas who shave parts of their faces. what do you think about it or even about shorten your locks when they have reached a certain length? (i know that the locks of some elders would be longer if they were never touched)

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 5/11/2015 3:42:52 PM

^may i put some Fire on the bible to answer?

Because according to scripture the naZarite vow was only to be for a limited time. Once completed you are actually INSTRUCTED to CUT your hair

Fire on Dat. I don't business.

That's why I don't take a nazarite vow yet I don't deal with deadas much less funeral + I don't cut hair. NaZarites based their vow on I MAN OG ITALIST IN NATURE

Say your going to livicate your life to being ITAL and everything you mentioned above will naturally fall into place.

Messenger: Hemphill Sent: 5/11/2015 4:20:49 PM

Seen GARVEYS AFRICA. To purify the Bible in this sense, I can dig it. Not rejecting the essence of the vow, but working with it in the ways that feel iritical. i.e. no time limit of devotion. I see now that 'To burn', and bring fire is a positive action. Praises.
When the inspiration came for I to devote, I knew it is to be an eternal vow. ALWAYS growing closer to JAH and further away from babylon. This came before investigating the Bible.. I do not cut or shave, diet is growing stronger. Thankfully, no deaths to deal with..

Bless
One Love

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 5/11/2015 5:13:25 PM

give thanks. i see this are some words of experience i can't deny.

well. i don't now how to start. i really raspect the Is on that site and i'm glad that there is a chance for everybody to reason with some seasoned rastas and people all over the world who deal with this culture. that's a really good and necessary thing to me. so i try to be true to the idren. but sooner or later there will be a time when i will not longer visit this site anymore (whenever that will be). give thanks for helping me on my way to free my mind a little bit more. eternal respect!

what i was talking about are rastas who really believe in the bible and refer to these vows (and samson) and still are shaving themself. respect! to don't shave at all is really strict. i love it. ok. i think to be a rasta is no competition. it's not about bragging about your sacrifices in life.

well. some people said that "white rastas" should reason about racism and that they may have problems to accept rasta itself and it's true colors. i try to take it as serious as i can. i think i'm really not all about smoking spliffs and playing reggae. i realize that many steps of my life (becoming a vegetarian, becoming an italist, dealing with a certain interest towards history and racism, questioning certain aspects of society, staying true to a certain lifestyle, dealing with health issues without taking note of babylon medicine ...) had leaded me straight forward to rasta. some of that things will never leave my life again anyway.

now i know that rasta itself is a black movement and that you can't grow yourself some locks and claim to be a rasta. and right now i'm just on my way to get real locks. to some african rastas, i will always be nothing else than an ally anyway if i'm lucky so to speak. but it's so much more than that. and what's important about that is that it's about something you have inside of you before your locks are there. but somehow i go through life and try to reach a certain point where i can OFFIALLY claim that from now i'm ready to absolutely stay true to my standards without exceptions and i have meditated about all the things i have to overstand before dedicate myself completely to rasta and an absolutely clear image of the things i truely believe in. maybe it's just satans trick because nobody will ever be perfect and everyone has to learn continually in life.

i really thought a lot about getting ready for the nazirite vows and to honour them by staying away from alcohol (vinegar etc.), corps (also it would be hard to refuse to attend the funerals of family members and friends) and razors for the rest of my life. i don't know what to think about trimming hair. now i think i will continue to grow my locks and clean my temple to give more power to my spirit and follow rasta more and more without a special date to declare it (even if it's only for myself). like it's been said. the rest will follow along.

give thanks

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 5/11/2015 6:46:24 PM

Well Samson was to be a life long nazarite tho the vow was made for him before he born, but he came near a plenty plenty corpses, well he was an ultimate killer!

Among African peoples many cultures grow their natty for Iritecal and Livication reasons is not just nazarite

If one was to follow strict nazarite then it have to be life long unless one can find real levite priest and temple to bring in the sacrifice

What would be consider strong drink?

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 5/12/2015 6:51:50 AM

yes. give thanks!

well. i mean to just let your hair grow all of your life is tough. i know there are some dreads who sweep the floor with their locks (not meant to be negative) and even have locks in their long beards but this is where finding a job gets really difficult if you have to look for regular jobs. sounds odd. but your life may depend on it.

i guess besides mentioning samson, samuel and john the baptist and others the locks are just a rastas identity (instead of losing your identity by following babylon hair trends). some say its like a trademark or even a contract you have made and you cant turn back once you have grown your locks while others claim that it is (only) because of the natural vibe. i think to me it's a mix of all these arguments. think some rastas are referring to the vows just to present another biblical evidence of locks instead of really following all aspects of it. those rasta who mentioned the nazirite vows to me don't appear like they don't trim or shave to me.

if staying true to the vows mean that i have to letz my hair grown until they reach the ground one day and further (even my beard if that's possible) i don't know if i am actually able to do so in many ways. it's a special thing. and it was part of another era of course. it's not something you have to do. but i love how pure it seems to be. if i would have a farm and could provide my own food i'd thought about it. and i don't know what the rule regarding the corps really is all about. i mean should i just avoid jobs where i really have to deal with corps and am i still able to visit a grave at least or would i have to avoid visiting cemeteries in general whatsoever.

a strong drink to me is everything alcoholic. also stuff like limonade and energy drinks. personally, i drink nothing else than water anyway and sometimes some good untouched juices.

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 5/12/2015 7:06:10 AM

I would think that alcoholic drinks would be covered under wine but....

Thats one thing with the vow is it was from another era and language so a whole nother thought goin in to it that its true meaning maybe lost in time, location and
tounge

And thats why the vow makers as Ebionites and Essenes were self reliant and sufficient and often lived apart from the general populace

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 5/12/2015 7:21:08 AM

yeah. i thought this vows would really help to have an even closer bound with rasta and god of course but i wasn't sure if one is allowed to trim hair if they almost reach the ground. i think the original intentions (or let's say the original aspects of and reasons for it) may be gone.

but i love to avoid eating rosins, grapes and drinking all kind of strong drinks as a part of my diet and to have long, untouched locks for my temple and to purify my spirit. i guess i will just continue to let them grow and focus on my diet and the other things will follow along. i guessstaying really true to nazirite vows is not for everybody.

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 5/12/2015 10:06:53 AM

I say staying true to oneself is much more than the vow and will have one as close as one can get to God!

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 5/21/2015 7:40:18 AM

ive heard that some followed the nazarene vow for a short time at the beginning of their tranformation to rasta while their hair was about to reach their shoulders and after that they have continued to let them grow to neglect dreadlocks.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 42

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I