Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=3167&start_row=11

The cross of christ

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 36
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Jah Bird Sent: 10/14/2008 1:06:55 PM

give thanks SonofMAN, your last sentence was the reason of this post.
blessed.

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 10/14/2008 5:30:38 PM

I use the cross just like i use my photos of His Majesty. I dont worship them, i dont pray to the them, but as i cannot see i Father with i physical eye, that is the closest thing i have to the physical. So when i look at Him pictures and i look at HIM eyes, at once i am lifted up with more strength, when i see how Regal He is,it is a powerful reminder that i should always walk upright.
Same way,the cross is the closest thing i have to the physical christ, a powerful reminder of His sacrifice unto ini. A powerful reminder of His forgiveness and mercy that ini should be merciful. If God is merciful unto Man who is but of the dust,how can man be so unjust to man.

Jah Bird,the i know how it is back home, it is almost second nature to us to bow and kiss the cross.
Even when i turned to Rastafari and started moving away from the religion of christianity and i started to wonder about the such things as the cross, that is one thing i never stopped doing. If you come across a monk and he extends his hands to you, you bow and kiss the cross and recieve your blessing, and your on your merry way.

Blessed Love
Rastafari

Messenger: Ten Sent: 10/14/2008 6:25:46 PM

Blessed
Yes RSK I mean the Cross. There have been bits of the cross found, most of was destroyed but some of the remnants are in a church in Rome. If you refer to Sojourner Truth, again I meant the Cross, the book is called "Power in the Blood: the Cross in African-American Experience"

To Sun of Man - one small correction His Majesty never bowed to anything, He is the Most High so why would He bow to anything? And let alone an object like a cross?

And in ras-ponse to this - "the Ankh is the feminine, and the cross is the masculine"
I'm wary of gendering the cross as masculine simply because Jesus was crucified on it, its dangerous to gender things because of the way religions and patriarchy have historically worked as tools of domination over women. I'm not saying you are saying this, but its I interpretation of the present state of the world. Perhaps I'm over-reacting but I feel if the Cross is a symbol of faith, let it be that un-gendered but still just as spiritually significant.
Jah Love

Messenger: Eleazar1234 Sent: 10/14/2008 7:05:39 PM

Does the sign of the cross ward off evil spirits?

Chapter 7 - From the deposition of Ledj Iyasu on 17th Maskaram 1909 (= 27th Sept. 1916) to the assumption of the crown by Queen Zawditu on 4th Yakatit 1909 (= 11th February 1917)

After We had issued this proclamation, We marched forward. But since bloodshed among Ethiopians themselves is extremely saddening, I arranged that monks and priors from the monasteries of Dabra Libanos and Zequala and from all the various churches should be selected and come with their CROSSES to request Negus Mika'el to go back to Wallo without making war. But word reached us by telephone that Negus Mika'el, far from going back, had in fact seized and arrested the monks who had been sent to bring about peace; we thus became convinced that his decision to engage in battle was now plain and generally known.

Iman have also seen Peter Tosh making the sign of the cross

I do agree that some Christians, like the Vatican, cross the border into idolatry with their crosses although.

And what about upside down crosses, is that a satanic sign? I have seen many death metal and black metal bands that have upside down cross symbols. I have also seen a picture of the pope sitting in front of an upside down cross.

RASTAFARI IS LORD OF LORDS AND SAVIOR

Messenger: Ten Sent: 10/14/2008 7:36:20 PM

Correction Sis RSK, for some reason I had it in my head you were asking about the Cross Jesus was on and not the marking on His Majesty, sorry. I was told that His Majesty had the marking of the Cross in his palm.

And to Eleazar1234
The upside down Cross can mean many things too, it can be an anti-Christ symbol but in Christianity (Catholics mainly) it is taken to symbolised Peter's death because this is how he died. Yes there is an engraving on a chair the Pope sits on, its called The Chair of Peter. I've heard the Peter asked to die this way because he did not feel worthy to have died in the same manner as Christ since Jesus was the Son of God and Peter, his disciple.

Messenger: Ras power Sent: 10/14/2008 9:05:58 PM

18For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God

1 cor 1
;18

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 10/15/2008 10:55:04 AM

Ten, the I said:

"To Sun of Man - one small correction His Majesty never bowed to anything, He is the Most High so why would He bow to anything? And let alone an object like a cross?"

I was not using the word "bow" in any sense other than the physical act of tipping One's head and shoulders forward in the motion commonly known as "bowing", like One takes a "bow" at the end of a performance, or when One "bows" their head to kiss the Meskel. I certainly did not mean to imply the more interpretive meaning you're putting on it, excuse I for leaving any room for error...

As for the gender thing, that certainly is an interpretation, and Ten good for the I for not letting gender play into it.

EveryOne Bless...

SELAM

Messenger: Jah Bird Sent: 10/15/2008 10:56:00 AM

I give thanks for the wisdom, blessed love All.
The cross is a wonderfull SYMBOL of Christ and the power that is given to i and i from JAH. It does not have a power of its own.
That is what many people in Ethiopia and where i am at now are confusing themselfs with, that the cross has got power.
Now in every church of Addis, they have got the 'white'Jesus pictures and Mary and Child pictures, as a powerful symbol.Is that needed? Well RasKebreAB said it gives i upliftment to see the picture of His Majesty-and that is true, same with the cross,
But the picture of Selassie I is the picture of HIM not an interpetation of Him.
is it OK then to have the 'white' Chrit everywhere in and out the church as an interpetation of Jesus,to feel uplifted even i and i know it is not the right picture of him? is that not cheating form the truth. Wouldn't then the cross be enough?

immature questions i know,but please comment back.
Give thanks

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 10/15/2008 1:28:30 PM

Give Thanks Jah Bird, it is a good reasoning...

I was privileged to reason with an EOTC Priest One day, to whom I posed the question, "why all the blond haired blue eyed Jesus pictures in the churches?" He said, very simply, we don't know what Iyasus looked like, we have many different pictures of Iyasus ranging from black to white, painted during many different times in Ethiopia, and they are all just an homage to Christ, they are inspiration, and all have equal siginificance.

The Priest is right. Unfortunately we are turned off by the white Jesus because that is the image that has been used the most during most of white people's barbarous acts, in which conversion to Christainity was a forced thing. But we should remember that every Christian society around the world has painted Christ in their own image. One can find images of Iyasus that are of every ethnic background around the world and that's a beautiful thing, and imparts the message which should be accepted by all that we are made in the image of the Creator as human beings and not of chosen ethnicity.

Also the EOTC does not use any three dimensional images of Christ in order to not create anything that might be considered too realistic and partial.

But getting back to the question of:

"is it OK then to have the 'white' Chrit everywhere in and out the church as an interpetation of Jesus,to feel uplifted even i and i know it is not the right picture of him? is that not cheating form the truth. Wouldn't then the cross be enough?"

His Majesty sure did love HimSelf some caucasian Iyasus pictures!!! In fact I beleive He was a collector of Iyasus images from around the world (How beautiful to see the I in so many shape color and form!!!) Aside from seeing pictures of His Majesty in His office with various pictures of caucasion Iyasus, Ones can visit His Majesty's palace, now college in Addis, where they have left His bedroom intact, and Ones are allowed to enter a small space of that sacred ground and see it as His Majesty had it. Most powerful caucasian Iyasus picture I've ever seen hangin' over the bed.

SELAM

Messenger: Jah Bird Sent: 10/15/2008 2:11:02 PM

"that we are made in the image of the Creator as human beings and not of chosen ethnicity".
Yes I word sound right there i give thanks for that.
I have got the answers to my questions.
Haile Jah !!

one love aya.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 36

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I