Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=3167&start_row=1

The cross of christ

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 36
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Jah Bird Sent: 10/13/2008 7:14:33 AM

greetings again Children of the MOST HIGH,

what is the idem's thought about the cross?
i have posted a chapter on Isaiah 44, concerning Idol worship.
It is the first command of Jah.
wouldn't that make it very wrong- to ware it round the neck and in churches people bowing to the cross? every where around the world?
I sight it as a reminder, but a christian does not need a reminder. it is there always in I heart.
I and I have seen RastafarI kissing the cross and see still going on in the EOC, masses kissing it and worshipping.
Monks carry it everywhere and it is said that they cast out evil with the cross.Is not the Man that casts the wicked and not the wooden cross?The Christ who I and I belive in?
i would apprecilove comment/correction in this matter.
Personally i would rather kiss the preacherman as a brother with love than the cross that he carries.

Love Jah and live!!!!! hate Jah and die.!!!!!

Messenger: wahdahdah Sent: 10/13/2008 8:35:10 AM

GREETINGS JAH LOVE RASTAFARI
YES Iman feel this way about these objects, crosses, statues, or pictures. If the person doing the wearing or kissing or staring at these things knows that these things are only a symbol and not the real deal.It is not worshipping and idol but they are conecting to their faith. We are created partly of flesh I think this is why we like to see positive symbols that remind us of Lofty spiritual things. I know I&I heart feels so nice when I see a picture of H.I.M. Iman have different photos of SELASSIE I in I home and business and some times when I pass them I man say GREETINGS or Touch HIS heart in the picture but I know this is just a photo and I man am contacting JAH on a spiritual level. These things are reminders. An IDOL is an Object that is the thing that is being worshiped. not just a reminder or a symbol but an actual idol that people put their faith into. that is IDOL worship. A monk or a nun uses prayer beads to keep count the beads are special to them because it is a link to thier Faith in GOD it is not and they realize it is not GOD. Same thing with wearing a cross it remind someone of thier faith. I&I love to wear Red gold and GREEN around I and a SELASSIE I or even a brother BOB MARLEY shirt. I do it to constantly remind I what I purpose is for. I do not need to wear or do any of this but it makes I feel nice when I see it too. Also sometimes after reading scripture I man am so very moved by JAH i Kiss the Bible while giving Praise to JAH RASTAFARI. Iman am not worshipping the book itself but the LIVING WORD wich comes through I&I JAH RASTAFARI
My Earth Father at one time in his church had a statue that his congagation would take turns bringing home. This Got Iman RED hot so I said DADDY why DO you people put your faith in a statue and not the Living GOD. He looked at I as if I&I were mad and himsay son it is not the statue that give faith or faith in the statue but the Reminder that we are all of the same Faith. He assured I it was not an Idol being worshiped but a symbol of his faith. Just Like Iman have pictures and plaques of H.I.M. hanging in I house, they are a constant reminder to I and I&I family JAH is always present protecting Our Home and family in I &I heart. SELASSIE I LIVE wahdahdah

Messenger: Ten Sent: 10/13/2008 8:40:59 AM

Blessed,
More reasoning on this later but for now I would say it depends on the context that the cross is carried or worn. It depends on the intention because HIS Majesty was Defender of the Faith and there are many I-Mages of HIM carrying the Coptic Cross which in the Ethiopian Church is a symbol of God's love and HIS eternity. The Ankh sign in Egyptian Mythology is a sign of peace but in Christianinty the cross is a sign of faith. People clutch onto it when they pray to strengthen their prayers etc etc but I still think its very specific to the Church and what the intention is of having the Jesus cross, but I know in Italy SOME(!) Catholics pray to the Cross and their Patron Saints more than they pray to God Himself, that questions the basis of their whole faith, who do they believe in... Anyway interesting topic the I raised.
RasTafarI Is

Messenger: Jah Bird Sent: 10/13/2008 10:52:38 AM

Give thanks,
i sight that Jah Rastafari is teaching the people to love Christ and his teachings. He carries the cross as a symbol just like many many out deh.
But their is a fine fine line between symbol and believing that the cross is powerfull. Think of the original dracula movies. would using it as the dracula movies make it a worship?
Just like people have the picture of Jesus Christ "just as a symbol" and without no false intentions in there minds and getting trapped in the lies of the original deicite.

Give thanks One love

Messenger: Prince Hotep Sent: 10/13/2008 12:06:28 PM

Blessed love

I view the cross itself as X, the X that Christ died on, I see HIM kissing it, witch mean HIM is embracing Christ and His livinty "take your cross" take your burden, overcome your flesh, InI are the crussified in this world of evil, this number 2 world of the devil it is InI who they try to destroy everyday and yet is I who will rise after white world blood will run out, Victorious as HIM was, Victory is not of flesh, but of Spirit.

Holy Emmanuel I Selassie I JAH Ras Tafar I

Messenger: Ras Sistren Khamyl Sent: 10/13/2008 12:46:19 PM

I have always interpreted the cross as a symbol of death. I prefer the ankh which represents life.

The cross that Christ was nailed to was so heavy, that the strain had to contribute to his physical anguish. I would never bow down to anything that was used to kill anyone.

-RSK

It also changed from him hanging on a tree to him hanging on a cross. I know they burn crosses after they hang brothers. They mark graves of dead people with crosses. Just when DID they start lynching brothers? Don't sound like nothing representing anything but death to me.

Messenger: IDread Sent: 10/13/2008 3:44:39 PM

Ras Sistren Khamyl I share your views on the cross being a symbol of death. Iman can't give praise to a torture instument...

I was reasoning with a friend the other day and he brought up the point the I made about the tree being changed to a cross. He reasoned that this was Babylon medeling by turning a symbol of life (the tree) into a symbol of death (the cross) to mislead people and I find Iself agreeing with him.

Praises unto the Most High JAH RasTafarI

Messenger: Ten Sent: 10/13/2008 4:36:26 PM

Praises
Inasmuch as Christ was crucified on the Cross, the Cross symbolizes alot more than that. Its also the last place where Christ was alive and the most powerful things happened because of the crucifixion, Jesus was rose from the dead. He defied those who had nailed him and ascended to be with the Father, thus it is a symbol of what can be eternal. And to fulfill the prophecies in Revelations, Christ came again in His Kingly character so for I, I feel that Christ's crucifixion was meant to be so prophecy would self-fullfil when the Lion of Judah was born in Harrar. What about the markings of Christ His Majesty had in His palm? These markings were caused by being nailed to the Cross and that His Majesty had them too, makes the Cross of spiritual importance to I n I.

Of significance too, there are also the seven things Jesus uttered, three of which are prayers;
"Father forgive them for they know not what they do" Luke 23 v 34
"My God My God why hast thou forsaken I" Matt 27 v 46
and the most powerful for I
"Into your hands Father, I commit my spirit" Luke 23 v 46
On this cross that they nailed him, Christ appealed to His Father to 1. Forgive the enemy 2. Help in times of need 3. Salvation by acknowledging the Father as Saviour
In my view, all of these things allow for Christ to rise from the dead, as the Son of God. So the Cross is not just a place of death, its a matter of perspective Children of TafarI, we cannot just burn it because its the Romans who crucified Christ, yet he defied death in rising and Christ forgave the oppressors. And you can't take the things the KKK did as reason to chant the Cross, if the KKK chose to use it as a symbol of death and their gang sign when they killed that doesn't take away from the Biblical significance of the Cross. I know its a painful memory of slavery, but did slaves not find refuge in the Cross? In the African-American experience I know Sojourner Truth talks abt the Cross as a symbol of suffering and sacrifice and also a symbol of healing from the horrendous violence endured. There is refuge in the Cross according the her as it allows for people to put their trust in God as comfort through these dark days of oppression.
The cross is many things, depends on how its used and by whom.
Selah
Blessed Love

Messenger: Ras Sistren Khamyl Sent: 10/14/2008 11:50:59 AM

Ten: "These markings were caused by being nailed to the Cross and that His Majesty had them too, makes the Cross of spiritual importance to I n I."

Was it a cross or a tree?

-RSK

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 10/14/2008 12:22:34 PM

Greetings...

The cross is merely an Ankh changed to once again obscure the fact that so many things Christian are based on pre-Christian Kemet. The Ankh is a symbol of life, and the cross became the symbol of life beyond the transition, a cycle is represented by the two. Ones can think of birth, the transition, and re birth, the Ankh is the feminine, and the cross is the masculine. Christ as His Majesty shows us that we are born of flesh, and have the power to attain immortality by living Right in this life, and transitioning to spirit to remain forever.

I would urge Ones not to get too caught up in the literal implications of the cross as it is portrayed in the Bible. The story is meant to teach a deeper meaning than Christ suffered to save us. The Ankh is life, the tree is life, and so is the cross if it is taken in the Right context. I can't imagine why His Majesty would bow to a symbol of death unless it wasn't meant to represent death at all, but rather life everlasting. The cross as it is used in the EOTC is a symbol yes, but in the EOTC pictures and symbols are often seen by the outsider as being worshipped (I'm not calling anyone here an outsider), but are really there to provide inspiration. When people sink low, they need inspiration to bring out there own powers, to raise up their own potential to create a change within. This is a powerful thing in Ethiopia.

SELAM

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 36

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I