Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5644&start_row=11

In some Ethiopian Churches.....

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 44
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ras NazIr Sent: 5/6/2014 6:28:03 AM

^ ^ TRUTH Iya Nate. Very well put.

Messenger: Ras Raza Sent: 5/6/2014 6:28:57 AM

Give Ise for the Word Sound Idren and Sistren.
Ras TafarI zelalem.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 5/6/2014 10:15:38 PM

Garveys Africa said,
---------
That image, has and always will be associated with wickedness. And nothing to do with Christ, Kristos....or HIM....no? Don't think is only a colour argument, its deep.
----------

For some people, that image will always be associated with wickedness, but that is not the case for all people. Many people associate it with Righteousness, and others associate it with neither.

As I showed in the previous link, Haile Selassie I had no issue with paintings of a white skinned Christ. He had those paintings over the chair where he sits and works. Ethiopians have pictures of Christ that look like Ethiopians and pictures of Christ that look like Europeans. How can they do this? How do they see Christ? As a black, brown or white man? The fact that they can display both kinds of pictures without issue shows that they sight Christ as Christ, not for the color of skin.

In regards to Ras Nates reasoning
----------
People think that becoz it's an old story 2000 years ago,it doesn't matter how the image is painted.But Yahshua was black so it does matter
---------

Any which way you want to paint Yeshua Christ, it will be a misrepresentation. Nobody knows what he looks like or how dark his skin is. So if it does matter that his face is accurately presented, then fire should be blazed on any representation.

Don't get I wrong, I don't have pictures of a white or any color of Jesus in I home, I have pictures of Haile Selassie I. My parents have pictures of a white skin Jesus in their home, but growing up I remember my father telling I that Jesus skin was brown. So even though the pictures he had were white, he had the Iverstanding that Jesus didn't actually look like that.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 5/6/2014 11:24:42 PM

Many people associate it with Righteousness, and others associate it with neither

^But that no mean people Right Iah.... people support all kind of thing in error or misjudgement.

This image in Ethiopia is the complete opposite to the doctrine of which Garvey gave to us. Ethiopians especially should not be viewing God through the eyes of Constantine. The image of white Christ (or Casare Borgia) which is commonly portrayed, has historically been the symbol of Rome-based Christianity. Any perceived 'Righteousness' would be based on false information and lack of knowledge. Im saying if Europeans wish to view a white-Christ then they should do so....but not this image....... to see such a significant intrusion in Ethiopia especially is disturbing.

No other King, Queen, Prime Minister or President in the West has to tolerate images of BLACK Christ. Why does JAH have to tolerate such things? Its disrespectful to suggest Ethiopia can't have and stick to their one image, as the rest of the world does. Why does Ethiopia have to integrate new ideas and depictions of Christ and the white world doesn't? JAH in his glory is tolerant of such folly. InI not so tolerant. InI don't sight that as the equality which Jah wanted we to fight for.

.. with this specific picture King....... has literally been lifted from the walls of KMT. As one of the most commonly known and long running depictions of Auset and baby Heru.

some Garvey quotes:

The Black skin is not a badge of shame, but rather a glorious symbol of national greatness.

The white man has succeeded in subduing the world by forcing everybody to think his way. The white man?s propaganda has made him the master of the world. And those who have come in contact with it and accepted it have become his slaves.

If the white man has the idea of a white God, let him worship his God as he desires. If the yellow man's God is of his race let him worship his God as he sees fit. We, as Negroes, have found a new ideal. Whilst our God has no color, yet it is human to see everything through one's own spectacles, and since the white people have seen their God through white spectacles, we only now started out (late though it be) to see our God through our own spectacles. The God of Isaac and the God of Jacob. We Negroes believe in the God of Ethiopia, the everlasting God - God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Ghost, the One God of all ages. That is the God in whom we believe, but we shall worship Him through the spectacles of Ethiopia.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 5/6/2014 11:54:31 PM

I also want to point out that Auset (Isis) has been falsely portrayed as white from Ancient times.....From Roman control of Egypt..... the following started to appear IN Egypt (which had just been newly named so)

Two Roman image of the original Virgin Mother...origins of white supremacy

Isis (seated right) welcoming the Greek heroine Io as she is borne into Egypt on the shoulders of the personified Nile

Roman Isis holding a sistrum and oinochoe and wearing a garment tied with a characteristic knot, from the time of Hadrian (117–138 CE)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isis

Isis in the Roman Empire

Roman Isis holding a sistrum and oinochoe and wearing a garment tied with a characteristic knot, from the time of Hadrian (117–138 CE)
Tacitus writes that after the assassination of Julius Caesar, a temple in honour of Isis had been decreed, but was suspended by Augustus as part of his program to restore traditional Roman religion. The emperor Caligula, however, was open to Eastern religions, and the Navigium Isidis, a procession in honor of Isis, was established in Rome during his reign.[21] According to the Jewish historian Josephus, Caligula donned female garb and took part in the mysteries he instituted. Vespasian, along with Titus, practised incubation in the Roman Iseum. Domitian built another Iseum along with a Serapeum. In a relief on the Arch of Trajan in Rome, the emperor appears before Isis and Horus, presenting them with votive offerings of wine.[21] Hadrian decorated his villa at Tibur with Isiac scenes. Galerius regarded Isis as his protector.[22]

The religion of Isis thus spread throughout the Roman Empire during the formative centuries of Christianity. Wall paintings and objects reveal her pervasive presence at Pompeii, preserved by the eruption of Vesuvius in 79 CE. In Rome, temples were built and obelisks erected in her honour. In Greece, the cult of Isis was introduced to traditional centres of worship in Delos, Delphi, Eleusis and Athens, as well as in northern Greece. Harbours of Isis were to be found on the Arabian Sea and the Black Sea. Inscriptions show followers in Gaul, Spain, Pannonia, Germany, Arabia, Asia Minor, Portugal and many shrines even in Britain.[23] Tacitus interprets a goddess among the Germanic Suebi as a form of Isis whose symbol (signum) was a ship.[24] Bruce Lincoln regards the identity of this Germanic goddess as "elusive."[25]

The Greek antiquarian Plutarch wrote a treatise on Isis and Osiris,[26] a major source for Imperial theology concerning Isis.[12] Plutarch describes Isis as "a goddess exceptionally wise and a lover of wisdom, to whom, as her name at least seems to indicate, knowledge and understanding are in the highest degree appropriate... ." The statue of Athena in Sais was identified with Isis, and according to Plutarch was inscribed "I am all that has been, and is, and shall be, and my robe no mortal has yet uncovered."[27] At Sais, however, the patron goddess of the ancient cult was Neith, many of whose traits had begun to be attributed to Isis during the Greek occupation.

The Roman writer Apuleius recorded aspects of the cult of Isis in the 2nd century CE, including the Navigium Isidis, in his novel The Golden Ass. The protagonist Lucius prays to Isis as Regina Caeli, "Queen of Heaven":

You see me here, Lucius, in answer to your prayer. I am nature, the universal Mother, mistress of all the elements, primordial child of time, sovereign of all things spiritual, queen of the dead, queen of the ocean, queen also of the immortals, the single manifestation of all gods and goddesses that are, my nod governs the shining heights of Heavens, the wholesome sea breezes. Though I am worshipped in many aspects, known by countless names ... the Egyptians who excel in ancient learning and worship call me by my true name...Queen Isis.[28]

Ruins of the Temple of Isis in Delos
According to Apuleius, these other names include manifestations of the goddess as Ceres, "the original nurturing parent"; Heavenly Venus (Venus Caelestis); the "sister of Phoebus", that is, Diana or Artemis as she is worshipped at Ephesus; or Proserpina (Greek Persephone) as the triple goddess of the underworld.[29] From the middle Imperial period, the title Caelestis, "Heavenly" or "Celestial", is attached to several goddesses embodying aspects of a single, supreme Heavenly Goddess. The Dea Caelestis was identified with the constellation Virgo (the Virgin), who holds the divine balance of justice.

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 5/7/2014 12:10:57 AM

^^Blaze up d Fyah King! Prolly d I dem should keep d Iriginal of Heru instead of white or Black Jesus. But some sources describe such a Jesus as short, dark skin, short hair and long faced. Has d I's seen d painting of a Jesus from old Egyptian monastery one of d oldest paintings I blee weh it look jus like King Selassie I? But still deh got some wha paint him wit looks wit more western African features from like 4th century. Brother Ashea Kwesi says he went to d British Museum of London and showed d Iriginal of a bust of a Jesus with a lamb and it was of a West African type Blackman wit a Lamb and a Lion/Panther, Bro Kwesi say he was told Jesus was of the tribe of the BlackPanthers and then he saw this he has on video. historical writings talk about a Yeshua Ben Panthera who prophecied d destruction of Jerusalem for a number of years. I think ones should stick with what InI know; HIM EMPEROR HAILE SELASSIE I, and all InI prophets/prophetess from recent wha have pictured and videoed and InI Kemetics who also have been painted, molded, carved, chizeled, melted, mummified, and whatever else way dey been preserved for InI to see.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 5/7/2014 12:45:51 AM

A child sitting on the lap of his mother.

While it is possible that the image was derived from Auset and Heru, how many pictures (people's personal or hired professional photos) have you seen in your life that shows a child sitting on the lap of his/her mother? Did all those people decide to do that because they were trying to depict the image of Christ and Mary or Auset and Heru?

You come here criticizing people for believing the Bible without evidence, but then regurgitate the beliefs of others that are not based on evidence. Seriously, it is a painting of a child sitting on the lap of his mother.

Messenger: RAS-NATE-1995 Sent: 5/7/2014 4:42:21 AM

Ark I,the fact that no one can know the color of Yahshua only makes it more absurd for black people to worship a white jesus.It's like,"well we can't know the color anyway and since it's clear that white is supreme on earth,then why should we go against the worldwide mainstream of white jesus...? "
you see?So that's why I mentioned white supremacy Iyah,becoz it is the main (and perhaps only) reason why Black people,aware of this fact or not,would choose to worship a white jesus.

GARVEYS AFRICA,Give thanks for breaking it up Iyah.Marcus words are Concrete.No excuse to worship a false image even when through righteouss belief and intention true king.Some people are also misled and honor/worship the pope and think it is right,and may even have righteouss intentions.But FYAH still BUN the pope,so as the roman jesus image.

If I were to keep a Yahshua image,I would certainly choose one of the oldest St.Catherine's monestary's Pantocrator,painted in the sixth century.I also heard that it is widely believed that almost all the other Christ images were based on this one:

BLESSED TO ALL
RasTafarI

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 5/7/2014 5:17:43 AM

Ark I

I agree we can't be too quick fe lick and too quick to throw out some Fire. But make we use the information and look objectively. Its the child sat on the lap at a time when the romans were IN egypt. Its the child sat on the lap with the right hand placed over the heart / left side of the chest. After they ALREADY turned Isis into a white woman as I showed.......This was a statue so large and image so widely spread through Egypt it would have been impossible to occupy Egypt for as long as the Romans did and not come into contact with the ideology. The fact they have white-Isis means they were already aware of her

so much coincidence? I don't give them a bly ca them don't deserve it Fyah

Wikipedia is no source of information..... but still.....

Late antiquity
The cult of Isis was part of the syncretic tendencies of religion in the Greco-Roman world of late antiquity. The names Isidoros and Isidora in Greek mean "gift of Isis" (similar to "Theodoros", "God's gift").

The sacred image of Isis with the Horus Child in Rome often became a model for the Christian Madonna with the Child Jesus and many of the epithets of the Egyptian Mother of God came to be used for the Christian Mother of God.[31]

a better source:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/christianity/history/virginmary_1.shtml

There have been images of Madonna and child; Mary seated in a chair with the child on her lap. Some of these images look very similar to images that we know about from some of the pagan goddesses at the time.

Isis, a seated woman with a headdress consisting of cow horns encircling a sun-disk. She holds the baby Horus on her lap Isis and Horus, from a statue in the Berlin Museum © Mary, a seated woman with a disk of light encircling her head. She holds the baby Jesus on her lap Madonna Enthroned by Fra Filippo Lippi, mid 1400s ©
Isis, for example, was seated in such a chair with the infant Horus on her lap in the same way.

When Christianity was spreading across the Empire, it's clear that it deliberately took images from the pagan world in which it lived and into which it spread and used those images. Old holy wells and shrines were turned into Christian shrines. In Egypt a shrine of Isis was deliberately and self-consciously re-created as a shrine of Mary.

One of the important cities for Mary was Ephesus, where the goddess Diana was worshipped. It's not surprising that Mary drew upon the imagery associated with the goddesses, because that was the imagery the people knew. In the same way, we have imagery of Christ with a triumphant crowd looking like an emperor.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 5/7/2014 5:25:04 AM

Ras Nate.....

Where is that image from? That funny because it one of the oldest version and it STRONGLY favour HIM in my opinion. Give thanks

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 44

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I