Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=3204&start_row=21

What is righteousness?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 32
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 10/17/2015 5:18:33 PM

A plenty biblical characters (Moses,Joshua, David, Samson) and the quranic hero Muhammad were all held as "Righteous" men even with all murder they committed, and were doing what "GOD" wanted them to do.
Harry Trumancan be seen as no less and just as righteous as those characters!

Messenger: DURU Sent: 10/18/2015 1:58:30 AM

Blessed to all,

Righteousness is a deceptive word,NATURAL should have been, but to know what "righteous" or being simply natural is by simply observing the children since dem are still natural,until We adults or better to say "lost children" condition dem mind thru ,religion,politics,tradition etc.....

Let d heart rule d mind

InI JAH RASTAFARI

Messenger: Black heart Sent: 10/19/2015 3:41:11 AM

Hail I Idrens & Istrens. Righteousness is de light. In as much as I don't bow to no bible & Jesus, psalm 1 still sounds Ilahful to I Irits. Upful livity is I stand. Raspect

Messenger: Black heart Sent: 10/19/2015 4:51:12 AM

Troding in de light of righteousness is: to do good, to do unto others as yu would love dem do unto yu, to embrace love, to embrace humbleness. Oneness

Messenger: zion mountain Sent: 10/19/2015 6:07:53 PM

Consciousness is a beta word

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 10/19/2015 8:17:15 PM

Actually, the definition of righteousness is much closer to what Black Heart is saying than consciousness is. I know that one of the definitions of consciousness can be related to what he is saying, but most definitions don't and the main definition doesn't.

Any word can take on a different meaning if a person or especially a group of people decide to give it a different meaning. Fighting against the word righteousness and replacing it with words that are more ambiguous doesn't make a lot of sense to I. I have yet to hear somebody come up with a word that is less ambiguous than righteousness.

The best word for I and I would be Iteousness, then the meaning can be our own. Although I doubt we would get agreement amongst RasTafarI people regarding what constitutes Iteousness. I and I could maybe get agreement on some broad definition, but not for the individual actions.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 10/20/2015 5:17:13 AM

"Righteousness (also called rectitude) is a theological concept in Christianity, Judaism, Islam and Hinduism. It is an attribute that implies that a person's actions are justified, and can have the connotation that the person has been "judged" or "reckoned" as leading a life that is pleasing to God" and other definitons tend to deal with a persons moral code which again can change completely from person to person.

When people have different Gods, and then people have their own interpretations of those different Gods....... I don't see anything more ambiguous. Nobody will agree 100% on most words but I don't see any of the other suggestions mentioned being so varied in their possible interpretations..... Righteousness literally can have opposite (not jus different) meanings for two individuals. The problem I think is because most of the Gods in judeochristianity are so vague or erratic in the scriptures. One minute it's eye for an eye next it's turn the other cheek - so if God is to be the standard of righteousness which variation of God and his often conflicting behaviours shall we choose to label righteous? Righteousness is as contradicting as your scriptural God and his actions. NT followers will have a very different look on righteousness as OT followers for one.

The suicide bombers are righteous in their own mind. They are not black supreme in their minds though.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 10/20/2015 11:49:25 PM

How do you know that is the case for all suicide bombers? Is it not possible that a person who is a suicide bomber is black supreme in their own mind?

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 10/21/2015 12:14:04 AM

If you made a list of what people sight as righteousness, and compared it to lists made by other people, the lists of most people would mostly overlap with only some differences. There are some groups that deal with major differences, but that is not the case for most people.

I am not talking about going through each religion's rule book, but just asking individuals to make a list.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 10/21/2015 9:36:26 AM

Suicide bombers are largely under the grasps of religious ideology which is why I made the comparison. There may be much overlap with people's interpretation of righteousness within the context of a historically Christianised society. But generally, when one claims righteousness my first thinking is ok what religious ideology is this persons moral code based on?
Other words mentioned may be equally as ambiguous. But for I, who tries to keep out of religious debates about morality..... Righteousness wouldnt be a choice word. Black supremacy tends to bypass any differences ones and ones might have on a belief / religious level, and focus on tangible African upliftment. My example there would be the Garveyites: groups of people with differing religious and moral ideas of what is righteous / what is sinful etc. But connected on a higher wavelength when it came to universal negro upliftment

Haile

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 32

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I