Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=3204&start_row=11

What is righteousness?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 32
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: KnowThySelf333 Sent: 10/13/2015 10:31:24 PM

Righteousness is when you do good from your heart and not beacuse of any doctrine or calculations that it would profit you.

A righteous man is he who would do the good things he does even if no one would tell him of no reward or kingdom of heaven.

The book of Job seems like another terrible brainwash tool.

The bible tells you to do this and that and what to think and how to live and then just in case shit happens to you (wich is probable)
it gives you the book of job to believe you are being tested by God or by his angel Satan.

If the bible say God hates evil and loves good then why would he give power to Satan wich is described as the most evil one,to do those things to a good man like Job?

I see much belittling of man in the bible.As a worm or as a puppet being tested and having no personal power.

But its all lies and contradictions again.
Its not arrogant to seek truth and question the bible and other knowledge that comes your way.Its arrogant to claim man doesnt have the right to be free.

Messenger: Humble one Sent: 10/14/2015 2:31:11 AM

I agree with Knowthyself; some religions can creat "puppets", to get people to do good, solely out of fear and not out of good will.

I suppose righteousness is to do the right thing, out of good will, even if it will put you at great risk for speaking the truth.

All the best,

Joe

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 10/14/2015 4:30:12 PM

So is righteousness completely subjective?

Messenger: KnowThySelf333 Sent: 10/14/2015 4:41:19 PM

Somewhat subjective but not completely.

There are things that man has known and knows are right or wrong.
Like murder,stealing etc.
Or helping,healing etc.

These things are common knowledge to man even without commandments.

Otherwise we are saying that man is basically evil or sinful(primal sin idea) and cannot do good or discern evil without religion or books.I tend to disagree.

Peace.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 10/14/2015 4:58:20 PM

But I do believe it to be completely subjective. Which is why I don't like the term righteousness.

Take the examples you gave
killings - people can be conditioned to believe that killing can be righteous. Religious extremists, some of whom even kill themselves in the name of 'righteousness.' Or as most people will genuinely believe that killing is wrong....EXCEPT in war, EXCEPT for capital punishment...etc
stealing - unrighteous..... but many people make 'righteous' exceptions for stealing from the rich to give to the poor / stealing a loaf of bread to feed your family......etc

You can honestly 'believe' you are doing something 'righteous' that another person honestly 'believes' to be wicked. It happens. And we can't run from the fact that 'righteousness' and 'wickedness / evil' have STRONG religious connotations whether we are conscious of it or not

This was discussed on the cutting edge a few years back. It was generally concluded best for InI to stay away from such terms which can be swayed one way or another. I don't want to be righteous or want righteousness, or 'evil.' Black Supremacy is what I want. To free InI from the shackles of racism white supremacy and its system is what I want. That can't be misconstrued and twisted like subjective terms such as righteousness can.

Good discussion
Haile I

Messenger: KnowThySelf333 Sent: 10/14/2015 9:41:13 PM

Yes you are right.

Not only are religion and books unneeded to understand right and wrong,but they often have the opposite effect on those without inner eyes.

I say righteousness is somewhat subjective because im refering to what righteousness means to me.But I guess thats subjectivity already too.

I agree though these terms aint necessary.I rather a common sense man and not a "righteous" man.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 10/15/2015 2:53:38 PM

Ahhh see it deh, 'common sense' ...... i like that better too. Nuff respect Rasta, I'l await some of the other Idrin comments and thoughts

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 10/15/2015 9:54:53 PM

At times I use the term but in reality there is no such thing, for reasons the I GA, other than to ones self!

One mans righteousness is the next mans evil and one mans evil is a next mans righteousness

Its all subjective to time and space and viewer

If it sits well with you then you doing good but if it cuts you deep then take a second look

For I I dont abide by 10 commandments or any other besides I own heart (mind actually)

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 10/15/2015 11:56:07 PM

Common sense and Black Supremacy are just as subjective as Righteousness.

The only way to not be subjective is to spell out everything. So, instead of saying righteous in conversation, each time a person could just spell out every single thing they consider to be righteousness.

For most people, at least when they speak with people they normally speak with, when they say righteousness, the other person will have a general understanding of what types of things they are referring to. There may be some things that they would disagree about, but in general, it would be the same, and the sentiment meant would also be the same.

Some groups of people may have a meaning that is significantly different from other groups, but when they speak amongst themselves, which more often then not will be the case, their meaning would be generally the same and they would understand each other.

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 10/17/2015 5:03:06 PM

Nice reasonings! I very much agree with Ras GA! Well said brotha!!

It is indeed subjective and has been the root of thousands of years if religious and philosophical debate. For Iself, "righteousness" is best defined by the Ancient Afrikan Principle of Ma'aT

Truth

Justice

Harmony

Balance

Order

Reciprocity

Propriety

Righteousness vs Religion
Ahneeahm Ben Israel

There is a distinct difference between religion and RIGHTEOUSNESS. Religion, by its nature, ultimately fashions you in the image of man... whereas righteousness, by its nature, will fashion you in the image of God, there is a difference between the two. The only thing that religion requires of you is that you follow the traditions of that religion, and there are over 20,000 different religions on the face of this planet. If you want to worship the devil, you can find a religion that will allow you to worship the devil, if you want to worship a snake, you can find a religion that will allow you to worship a snake, because religion with and of itself simply represents the traditions of men, it is here so that you can do whatever YOU want to do. Take your pick, and if you dont like it, switch.

But Righteousness on the other hand isnt that lenient, your character and humility and behavior determine whether or not you are a righteous brother or sister, that is to say that an individual can be exceedingly religious yet still remain a wicked person, but to be exceedingly righteous one must exemplify and exhibit a certain character, and do certain things that justify their claims of being a 'righteous' Man or woman. If you are religous you do whatever YOU want, but through righteousness you are bound to only do whatever GOD wants, BIG difference! Harry Truman was religous, and he went to church the following Sunday after destroyinig the lives of millions of Japanese farmers and village people in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. But he clearly wasnt righteous, now was he?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 32

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I