Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7065&start_row=11

New forum member, educate me?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 37
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 2/16/2019 1:57:44 AM

Yes Carter I agree, all of existence is divine. But I wouldnt say spirituality is about disconnecting from your identity. I would say it is about seeing your individual (not able to be divided) connection with everything, which is I&I.

SunofMan I can't speak for Garveys Africa, but I would guess that he means the fact that "god" as a word and an idea comes from early Germanic myths, also related with Norse religion.

African spirituality accounts for the divinity of all existence, using symbols for principles of air and moisture, motherhood and warriorship, the known and the unknown, the rising sun and the setting sun. Whether we are talking about Dogon, Kemet, or Yoruba. Not praising separate characters but using the characters as symbols for different parts of the whole of existence.

Selahsay I Love

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/16/2019 4:21:05 AM

JahChild knows me well..

God is a Germanic term. With its very definition tied closely to Judeochristianity and the stories attached to such. Very few dictionaries define God without mentioning these religions. God is a European attempt at understanding the divine just as Theos is an ancient Greek attempt at the same.

I man don't deal with God or Theos (A-Thiest)

One cannot claim that the Incients meant the exact SAME thing when describing the Netjers or the Orishas ...chwezi Batembuzi etc....as 'God'

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 2/16/2019 5:03:34 AM

Leaving aside the origin of the word itself, the notion of god is neither uniquely European nor Judeo-Christian. Not sure where that's coming from, but clearly the notion of god is embedded in mythologies throughout human history (many of which are poorly understood or completely unknown because they were not documented). Surely we can't pretend to get inside the mind of an ancient person to understand how they conceived of god.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/16/2019 5:24:04 AM

Thats white privilege to assume the ancients meant God when talking about the Netjers Orishas Batembuzi etc.

Just as it would be wrong to equate Brahman with the word God.

'God' does not have a monopoly on the word diety or divine neither does European understandings of things foreign to them

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/16/2019 5:40:49 AM

God

/ɡ;;ɒ;;d/

noun

(in Christianity and other monotheistic religions) the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.

(in certain other religions) a superhuman being or spirit worshipped as having power over nature or human fortunes; 

I can tell you that in NO WAY describes a Netjer. And see how Any definition of God includes talk and reference to Judeochristianity. This is clearly wrong when talking about cultures foreign to this.

Yet people choose to be ignorant and use European understandings to be forced onto all things globally

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 2/16/2019 5:55:58 AM

read carefully: "the NOTION of god "

I said nothing at all about "Netjers Orishas Batembuzi etc." I said "inside the mind of an ancient person" referring to all ancient people and all mythologies that involved the notion of a god or gods. You're projecting anger and it's distorting your ability to comprehend the words I saying & respond accordingly.

And knock off the "white privilege" crap. It's got no place in a discussion with me. I'd prefer it not show up at all here on this website, but your have a right to show your colors.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/16/2019 6:35:21 AM

There is no Notion of God

How can 1 have a notion of something which came foreign to it and AFTER it. It's wrong to project this European understanding onto other cultures... And a little racist if not privileged..... your whole post exemplified the point I was making. Give thanks

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 2/16/2019 7:10:15 AM

"There is no notion of God"???

You sound like Nietzsche: "Gott ist tot" ("God is Dead")

How can one possibly pretend to speak definitively about spiritual concepts that have emerged in the human mind throughout the existence of mankind on this planet. You can't even speak definitely about my notion of god or that of anyone else posting here on this website. Far less so about the god concepts of persons living 100, 1000 or 10000 years ago. These are deeply personal and complex matters. The only thing you can speak to are YOUR PERCEPTIONS AND INFERENCES of what people MIGHT have conceived of based upon you own extremely LIMITED understanding and scholarship on the subject. It's utterly ridiculous to make such a statement.

And notions of god rarely translate into racism except in your and similar extremist views of such matters. I studied a year of comparative mythology with a brilliant Black university professor and then served as his teaching assistant for the same comparative mythology course for another year. How is it that he was able to teach African mythologies in comparison to mythologies from other cultures around the world and to never speak in racist terms or make the traditional African mythologies into a racial cause célèbre? We had many a frank discussions about racial matter and he never tried to make god into a "racist" or "privileged" matter.

Whether you see it or not, you're somewhat obsessed and more than a little angry at people who you don't even know.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/16/2019 9:36:51 AM

Missed the point completely showing your insecurities again

The God concept was created by Europeans in the past few hundred years

The idea of the divine or man's understanding of nature and spirituality etc have been present for 10000s of years originating in Africa

To use the wordsound God or idea of God to describe that of the paragraph above is a foolish and racist babylonian mistake.

It's simple mathematics

But you are blinded. And i wonder who seems like the angry 1.

We as conscious Africans have awoken to the fact that certain European words fail to grasp even the slightest sense of our native wordsounds and ideologies. And so we refuse to limit ourselves to the paradigm of European language for describing what is unique and native to InI.

Have a good day

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 2/16/2019 9:46:50 AM

GA: "The God concept was created by Europeans in the past few hundred years." That ridiculous. Your wrong. I simply don't know where you get such nonsense. Anyway, you're sticking with it and that's fine. I'm just here to point out that there is a a valid, different way of considering the notion of god in the context of human history.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

“We want to think about God. God is a thought, God is an idea, but its reference is to something that transcends all thinking. I mean, he’s beyond being, beyond the category of being or nonbeing. Is he or is he not? Neither is nor is not. Every god, every mythology, every religion, is true in this sense: it is true as metaphorical of the human and cosmic mystery. He who thinks he knows doesn’t know. He who knows that he doesn’t know, knows. There is an old story that is still good — the story of the quest, the spiritual quest, that is to say, to find the inward thing that you basically are. All of these symbols in mythology refer to you — have you been reborn? Have you died to your animal nature and come to life as a human incarnation? You are God in your deepest identity. You are one with the transcendent.” – Joseph Campbell

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 37

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I