Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7065&start_row=1

New forum member, educate me?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 37
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: CarterBlunt Sent: 2/14/2019 11:26:11 PM

Hey, just to start with a few things about me. I'm a white guy who got my hair crocheted into dreads over a year ago, and I think having them made me lose my vanity over time. I used to care about how others judged me, but I figured if I was gonna keep caring about that, then I may as well cut them off, because I was expecting discrimination. The funny thing is I have never experienced that, only a lot of people saying they liked my dreads, or people just curious about it. But eventually I stopped caring about my image, stopped shaving, stopped spending a long time deciding what to wear, stuff like that. It eliminated a lot of anxiety and neurosis I used to have, and allowed me to focus on my own principles. Now I consider myself a dread, because this broken society has a lot to fear from me, but I'm definitely not a Rastaman, and I'm pretty ignorant on the subject.

I've tried things in the past year that my family would disapprove of, like going to a strip club for the first time, learning how to ride motorcycles, and becoming a skydiver. I learned that I want to be a parachute rigger, my first time knowing what career I wanted to pursue. Even getting dreads was something I knew my family wouldn't approve of, but they don't even try to understand my point of view, so it's none of their business. The point is that my mind has opened up to things outside my comfort zone, and I'm way more "rounded" overall.

So there are occasions where people compare me to Rastafarians, it's understandable due to my lifestyle, but I don't believe any gods exist, so it's always weird to feel like people are tagging me with a religion. Still, I want to know more about it, like why do you think Haile Selassie was god in the flesh, rather than a man? And do you think Jesus was also god in the flesh? If so, are there others, such as Muhammad or anything? Also, do you think the holy books are corrupted? And if you have any links to post that would lead me to understand more, I will check them out. Thanks!

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 2/15/2019 1:58:08 AM

Greetings Carter

I would definitely direct you to watch some videos that might explain the answers to your questions:

Mutabaruka explaining his view on the divinity of Haile Selassie I:

Priest Isaac talks about "who really wrote the bible":

To answer your own questions, you really have to start by defining some of the words you use in the questions. Like the word "god", what it means and where it came from. I also wonder why you mention "god in the flesh, rather than a man" as if the two ideas are mutually exclusive.
Also you would need to establish (or discount) the validity of certain stories and existence of characters that you mention. This is a study in history that would take some time for you to look into, if you want to.

I have so many other thoughts on what you have written here. But your trod is your own. Life is a journey and hopefully none of us end up in the same place where we started, hopefully we all grow in innerstanding and righteousness over time. So giving respect to your journey, and since you only expressed certain questions and not others, I will not say all that I am thinking.. maybe later you will see for yourself what I would have said.

Guidance

Messenger: CarterBlunt Sent: 2/15/2019 3:04:30 AM

Thanks, I will lay back and listen to these. Yeah, I've noticed since coming here that Jesus is really not a central figure. Lol.

Messenger: CarterBlunt Sent: 2/15/2019 8:54:36 AM

Dude is literally an atheist, I wasn't expecting that. I thought all Rastas followed the Bible, and that you had to consider Selassie as the one god to be a "true" Rasta. But what he's saying about the lifestyle makes sense, that is something from before religion, before kings, before books, and that is about keeping it natural, like the original men.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/15/2019 9:08:20 AM

Muta is one of I spiritual fathers

A bible bashing Garveyite

I man an atheist Panthiest

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 2/15/2019 9:50:16 AM

Yes Garvey, I really RASpect Mutabaruka, his explanations and reasonings are often so simple and plainly apparent that they are impossible to deny.

Carter I'm glad you watched the videos and see something in there that makes sense to you. I think though, it's important to note that "god" and "divine" are not necessarily the same thing. I don't think that Mutabaruka is denying divinity of Haile Selassie I. He is simply leaving out the word "god", and saying instead "center of I being" and "I". Haile Selassie is I. It's not about worshipping an external being. It's a recognition of divinity in the Emperor AND in oneself. That was how I overstood Muta's explanations anyways.

Love
RastafarI

Messenger: CarterBlunt Sent: 2/15/2019 6:47:27 PM

The way I interpreted, it sounded like he was saying all matter and energy comprise "divinity", which one could easily replace the word "divinity" with "existence". I will probably listen to it again though, maybe there are certain details I didn't comprehend.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/15/2019 7:23:10 PM

The idea of God is a European judeochristian way of thinking of which InI do not subscribe.

Haile Selassie reveals the divinity within I.

But InI don't deal with any 'God'wordsound

Messenger: CarterBlunt Sent: 2/15/2019 9:40:24 PM

I guess his view of everything being divinity is the point where his spirituality comes in. I've never been able to define spirituality, but I think I would say now that it's a way of disconnecting from your own identity and looking at the world with fresh eyes, which is the InI.

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 2/15/2019 10:40:36 PM

"The idea of God is a European judeochristian way of thinking"

G.A. could you elaborate a little? Has the notion of "God" not arisen independently within non euro judeochristian cultures? Or are you getting at something different?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 37

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I