Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7032&start_row=11

Rastafari in Addis Ababa

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 25
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: NewRas Sent: 1/10/2019 5:07:40 AM

So my Shashamane (12 Tribes) experience was not very good... I am really questioning some things and myself right now. Maybe I am too personally guarded or maybe too westernized to be Rasta. I feel this is partly my fault for having any expectations but I definitely feel troubled after this situation.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/10/2019 6:08:20 AM

Wappn?

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 1/10/2019 6:25:51 AM

NewRas,

It happens as we trod this rocky road. We get up, dust ourselves off, seek H.I.M. and His Righteousness first, and reflect. The correct next step will be revealed to you. RastafarI is much bigger than any group of people or geographic location. It's not west or east, it's celestial and it's a journey. You definitely belong.
His Love Idureth within for Iver. Do you feel it? It's right there within you.

JAH LOVE & PEACE, BROTHER

Messenger: NewRas Sent: 1/10/2019 8:30:39 AM

Give thanks Nesta. It's just taking a second to digest since this was my first time meeting any group or "mansion" of Rastafari and the experience feeling... less than genuine I'll say. I was in a position of being surrounded by "Rasta" all trying to get money from me for literally nothing. The brethren saying I should pay them because they work security at the 12 Tribes or that since we are "homies" (I've never met) I should hook them up. If you are trying to sell me something that's one thing but I do not like being cornered and overrun by people just begging for money. This was extremely uncomfortable for me, especially being so far removed from anything I have any familiarity with.

So while attempting to leave because I could see they were trying to get money, more so than welcoming me and breaking bread, they started surrounding me making sure I was coming back with more money. I began to have that same fight or flight feeling in my gut as I did when I was robbed at gun point and shot some years ago. Some of them going as far as to try to force themselves on the ride back to my hotel with me. In the end, I made it out fine and ended up leaving Shashamane right after.

I will take responsibility in part because I trodded there completely alone and should have learned more about the area prior, though information seemed limited. All in all the situation turned out fine and I got to meet a very friendly local Oromo man who showed me some nice places on the way back to Awassa and had good conversation about the Oromo region and it's populace while enjoying some of the amazing local Oromo music.

In the end, after thinking about it, it reminded me of the root of why I become Rasta in the first place. Not because of any weed smoking or cult/group mentality. But because I personally, on my own accord, come to see the divinity of His Majesty. And even in how dark the situation felt, there were some very mystic things that happened (which allowed me to escape the situation) that I know was nothing short of the Imighty making sure I was blessed and protected. I didn't take some things into account, that if I would have, I might have been stuck in that situation without means of leaving.

But I give thanks to the IMighty for preserving me another day and still plan to trod around Africa a while longer and still hope to settle upon the continent some day. I was hesitant about even speaking about this experience but I feel that if there is someone like me who is considering making such a journey, especially alone, to be more prepared than I. I don't wish to speak negative upon those Rasta or Shashamane at all (the local Oromo people were very kind and helpful to me) but I felt the experience should at least be spoken on. If you are a more aggressive/assertive individual then maybe the experience will be fine for you, but it was a very uncomfortable and jarring experience for me. Anyway, it's all Love and Africa is still home and is still the most beautiful land I have ever visited and would not take back the experience what so ever. I feel as though I have actually grown from it if anything.

One Love

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 1/10/2019 11:03:10 AM

NewRas.

I&I fully empathize with your experience, having had quite a number of similar ones myself on at least four different continents (including Africa). I don’t know what your physical appearance and language/manner are like, but if it’s easy to discern that you are from the wealthy West (and especially the USA) then the kind of treatment you experienced is not uncommon in places where money is scarce. Although it can feel extremely hurtful and upsetting (even insulting) to be treated like an ATM or a bank, we must forgive those who do it to us as they are usually coming from a very different situation from ours (and usually from a very different culture as well), and don’t necessarily mean to treat us in a disrespectful or hurtful way. There are people from poverty who will simply resent you and disrespect you because of the relatively affluent background (e.g., America) into which you were born. That’s as bad as any form of prejudice and there’s not much you can do about them except respectfully decline to be subjected to their hostility.

My inference from what you've written (i could be wrong) is that you went to Shashamane with the hope and possible the expectation that you’d be welcomed with open arms as a Rasta brother. It’s too bad that wasn’t the case, but that doesn’t signify you are on the wrong path as a RastafarI or that you don’t “belong”. RastafarI is first and foremost the relationship and experience between His Majesty and you (I&i). The failure to connect with a certain group of people can be chalked up to a number of possible factors. The important thing is that you are an ambassador of JAH, and hence it is how you carry and conduct I-self that matters most.

It may sound like a broken record but what you are doing by undertaking this solo pilgrimage/journey sets you apart from most people. It’s the living embodiment of your faith in JAH RastafarI, of your KNOWLEDGE (not simply belief) in His True Existence, and of your certainty that JAH never let’s us down. It’s courageous and admirable, and it will impart to you Life lessons as a RastafarI that will push your Wisdom & Understanding far beyond your years. Yes, you are growing by leaps and bounds at this point in your life.

You’ve got a lot of warm spiritual Rasta brothers out here in the world and you’ll meet a whole bunch more really wonderful people as you continue your trod through Africa. Your strength & commitment as a RastafarI show, NewRas.

H.I.M. HAILE SELASSIE I. JAH RASTAFARI !

Messenger: NewRas Sent: 1/10/2019 12:18:58 PM

Give thanks Nesta. Really and truly I agree with your sentiments. I am very much western in dialect and looks. If one were to speak to me on the phone most assume I am white because of my proper English and vocabulary, though being from the southern portion of the US I have always prided myself on being able to be understood by others (linguistically) and not to mention I have earlobes like a Buddha statue lol. I used to have them stretched many years ago. So I can understand why ones would assume that. I certainly do look foreign and I remain aware of that.

I felt that my initial welcome was actually quite warm, but as time passed (10 minutes) I could quickly begin to see I was viewed more like an ATM, seeing that some would have the audacity to just flat ask for money as if I owed it to them for whatever reason. I believe I was expecting a much more humble experience than what was received. I did end up buying something from the brothers because truly I would do anything within reason to support the movement and I think they would have seen that if they would have been more humble and relaxed about the situation. But yes it did hurt to trod all the way to Shashamane (over 7000 miles) to be treated that way.

I believe it's the build up of Shashamane that a lot of Rasta give, saying it is the promised land, yet there is hardly any real development there to be seen. Even the local Oromo didn't have this attitude towards me. I hear many Ethiopians go to where the Rasta are as more of an "attraction" and I felt in the end as if it was treated by the young brothers as an attraction.

I certainly hold no hard feelings for the brothers or for Shashamane for that matter. If anything I truly sympathize with them seeing the conditions that they live in, especially in comparison to what Addis is, it seems very neglected. I wondered if the elders of the movement condoned this behavior because I did not see any elders within the 12 Tribes HQ. I tend to get along better with elders more so than people my own age anyway and these brothers were quite young, around my age give or take (26 or so).

I still feel there are true brothers out there in Shashamane who are righteous and just want to live natural and free. It may just be that I did not get to witness that part. But the experience was very bitter sweet. Though my experience with the 12 tribes was less than desired, I feel it ended up positive being that I still got to see so much of REAL Africa. The men on the donkeys, cattle herds crossing the street, crazy traffic, but mostly the beautiful and vast country side of the Oromo region. I've found even in the worst situations there is usually some good to be seen if you have the eyes to see it, which Africa is developing in me because I have been a pessimist for so much of my life, though that is changing more and more.

I also find it ironic that I seemed/felt more accepted as a brother in the Tewahedo Church than I was in the 12 Tribes Mansion. I have always been a proponent of doing unto others as you would have done unto you. Though I have fallen short of this at times I never try to judge anyone because of their location, race, finances, or religion, but more so on how they treat myself and others. I believe this is Jah showing that the path and promise land of others may not be the plan and path Jah has for me and I can accept that.

I will not let this experience corrupt my view of Africa nor Rastafari as a whole because I do not feel it is like this in every place Rasta dwell together. This has certainly taught me to be even more cautious on my trod in Africa, though I have seen more than not, if you treat the people well here, they will treat you well also. That particular experience really did hurt me, seeing how humble the Ethiopians were towards me and I expected that and more from a Rasta brother. I didn't come asking for anything or seeking to take anything. Merely to experience the joy of dwelling with people of the same faith and communing with Rasta brethren.

Alas I give thanks for the brothers on this forum and the Rasta brothers who are doing the works of His Imperial Majesty and spreading the knowledge of not only His Majesty but of Africans and our true heritage and culture. For, regardless of this experience it is still a blessing to be trodding in the land of my father's father and the land where the IMIghty loves to dwell. As you stated, these are learning and growing experiences that can never be taken away from the I and Jah has proven as long as I stay on my own path Jah has designated, he shall sustain me. I give many thanks for this reasoning and truly love my brothers here, near, and far.

One Perfect Love
Rastafari

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 1/10/2019 9:52:22 PM

I been there (HQ), an was treated with full Raspect. That being said, at the moment I arrived the place was full of Trini and Jamaicans. There were no youth around, an the Rases stuck close to us as we navigated to an from different yards. I have to guess that you were encountering Ethiopian youth, who saw a foreigner by themself an decided to get their hustle on. Shashe is a rough town, with a bad rep, the Ras there dont have it easy, nor do the youth. If its your first time in Ethiopia consider traveling with someone that you get a good vibe from, could ne another foreigner, but better yet an Ethiopian. I know people keep offering to be your guide, consider it.

Messenger: NewRas Sent: 1/10/2019 11:41:00 PM

I haven't actually had anyone offer to be a guide in Shashamane. This whole trip I've been navigating around with no phone services or way of contacting anyone. I will say this about it. Some of the Ras there seemed more concerned about showing me around and keeping me safe. I wouldn't say it was the whole of the group I ran into. But a good portion of them begin aggressively insisting I give money for reasons I can't justify. I have no problem with hustling if you are selling products and honestly trying to make money. As I stated I actually did spend money with the brother who were selling things. It becomes uncomfortable when you begin aggressively asking for money just because you think someone has it to give (which isn't the case for me).

I think if I were to go back I would certainly plan it out more so ahead of time, with a good guide and local who know the area like you said. That was my mistake because I didn't realize exactly how rough the area actually was. I didn't expect to be aggressively hounded for money by people who just wanted some cash. I experienced that in Addis but not to the point where I began becoming nervous about my safety. But I concur with what you said and would certainly go back with someone who knows or is local to the area if I did return.

I think the moral of the story is to not be dumb like me and just hoof it lol. Have a plan and a contact that can show you around and is familiar with the area and the people. I must own up to my mistake on that part because I was very unprepared in that sense. I don't want to scare anyone from going to Shashamane if they are seeking to do so (which is why I kept it in this thread as opposed to making a new one) but I do now understand how a local guide would be beneficial and necessary, especially in a rougher areas like Shashamane. It was definitely a learning experience in solo travel for me.

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 1/11/2019 5:07:02 AM

NewRas,

Having traveled many miles through more than half of the countries on this planet, i would have to say that the most incredible experiences come when you have no plan at all. They're really two completely different experiences: a planned, guided tour versus just winging it. It would be hard to recommend one over the other because many of the most fabulous experiences i've ever had while traveling occurred because i had no plans and was free to follow my whims and/or i was put into a predicament that JAH intervened in with miraculous results.

Guided tours can be fulfilling also. For me, i've resolved over the years that when i travel solo, i do so without any pre-planning or guide so that i can go where the wind takes me and spontaneously follow whatever path appears. When i travel with my wife and/or children, i usually take a tour of some kind just to simplify matters and to avoid exposing them to too much uncertainty.

Keep letting us know what's happening with you, NewRas.

JAH LOVE

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 1/11/2019 3:21:47 PM

I'm not suggesting a guided tour, just a local advocate. Ethiopia right now is a little tenuous, politically and ethnically.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 25

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I