Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7032&start_row=1

Rastafari in Addis Ababa

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 25
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: NewRas Sent: 1/4/2019 1:31:23 AM

Any of the I located or know of Rastafari in Addis Ababa? I'm in Addis now and hope to run into some bredren here. Only plan on staying for a few more days then forwarding to Shashamane for a little while. If any of the I-dem have recommendations for things to do and see in Addis let the I know. Hoping to visit the Holy Trinity Cathedral and visit the Statue of Menelik II unveiled by Haile Selassie I as well. Give thanks for any information. And give thanks and praise for the I-mighty making my travels safe, though I had many issues getting here, I still made it here safe and sound by the grace of Jah and what a wonderful experience it is to be in the land where our God loves to dwell. This truly is Blackman Land as Prince Far I would say.

One Love

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 1/4/2019 7:13:53 AM

Welcome to Africa. I don't know any Rastas in Ethiopia, but I do know from my own travels in Africa (including Ethiopia) that if you are looking for warm people there who treat visitors with unparalleled warmth and hospitality then you can seek out the Muslim community. Something like a third of the population of Ethiopia is Muslim. By the tenets of their religion and long-standing traditions, the Muslims greet visitors warmly, welcome them to their homes, and generously offer them food, drink and camaraderie. You won't find any warmer, more courteous & respectful people in the world than Muslims. There is much RastafarI in the way they live their lives.

Enjoy your travels.

Messenger: NewRas Sent: 1/4/2019 8:40:05 AM

Give thanks for the light Nesta. Upon landing I noticed many many muslims in the airport. It's such a beautiful sight to see so many righteous, god fearing black man and woman in one place. So far everyone has been exceptionally helpful, especially given all the trouble I went through upon landing (Qatar misplaced my luggage and my reservation didn't accept me upon arrival as promised). It really seems that humble attitudes and helping the next man is engrained into their culture and life style. InI have NEVER felt so at home before in my life. I've been here 2 days and am convinced I will eventually settle somewhere for good.

One Love Rasta

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 1/4/2019 11:50:52 AM

Yeah, that's Africa -- a really wonderful place with really great people.

KEEPING SHINING THE LIGHT OF RASTAFARI AS YOU MOVE THROUGH IT.

PEACE

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 1/5/2019 3:26:12 AM

You know why you like it there? Why you feel so at home?
Because it's real. It's not the plastic Disneyland of the industrialized West.

Messenger: NewRas Sent: 1/5/2019 9:51:34 PM

You are right on Nesta. Since a child (before turning to Rastafari) Africa was always portrayed as savages in trees with no culture of their own. Yet as I sit here typing this listening to the Orthodox Ceremony going on down the street (at 5:45 a.m.) InI can really feel how mystical Africa is. To be around people who know and cherish their culture as African man and woman is truly a blessing. This is something almost unheard of in the west. It saddens me to see how disconnected from our own culture we have become. Even in spite of us having the freedom to explore, research, and reclaim our culture, many of InI brethren in the west continue to believe that Africa is no home for them and that assimilation into the western ideology is the only way we can move forward. Marcus Garvey taught us better than that.

Messenger: NewRas Sent: 1/6/2019 6:46:49 AM

Today is Christmas in Ethiopia. I went to St. George's church today while visiting the Menelik II Monument. The people here are so amazing, the tour guide has invited me to attend the Christmas service tonight. I was also allowed to pray at the very spot His Majesty was coronated. I got to see his Coronation robe and regalia as well as the a crash course in the Orthodox Churches history and function. Today has been the most beautiful experience of my life. I don't think I'm going back to the west lol.

I know many Rasta don't do Social Media (rightfully so), but I keep my instagram so I can document certain images of His Majesty and show His Majesty's link to the Bible, why he is so important to InI, and other information concerning His Majesty, Jah Rastafari. Since I've been in Ethiopia I'm using it to document my travels so the Idem that have never been or just are interested to see Ethiopia can check it out. If anyone is interested in seeing my travels you can go here (https://www.instagram.com/ras_i_man/).
I'm not the best at documenting since this is my first time solo traveling at all, but I figure it's better than nothing. You shouldn't need an account to see my posts. I'm not asking for follows or trying to promote it by any means. Just if anyone is interested, you can see a little portion of what I've been experiencing in this Holy place. I praise Jah for blessing my travels thus far and hope it continues on this same path.

One Love

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 1/6/2019 9:43:49 AM

Drink it in, brother. These experiences you are having are treasures that can NEVER be taken away from you. Travel and learning about other lands, people and cultures around the world bring home the Reality of the Oneness of Imanity.
If you stay away from America the Babylon, it will require less effort for you to keep your mind emancipated from mental slavery (but such emancipation will still entail a lot of continuous effort because our Babylon programming runs deep). If you return to America the Babylon, the education that you are acquiring during your travels will empower you enormously in your struggle to keep your mind emancipated.

In any case, what you are doing is an essential life experience. It's the same reason that one of the five pillars of Islam is the pilgrimage (or Hajj). By taking one giant step to the other side of the earth you have already distinguished yourself from the millions of people who are too afraid to explore outside of their immediate zone of comfort and, hence, chose to remain in a perpetual state of ignorance.

JAH LOVE & PEACE. RASTAFARI!

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 1/6/2019 12:14:11 PM

Melkam Gena! Fulljoy Brother NewRas... I am missing home when I read what you say. For sure I shared your feelings while I was in Ethiopia. I would say I have never been on such a spiritual high as at that time.
As far as contacts in Ethiopia I know more people in Shashemene than I do in Addis. But truly you will meet people as you travel, the right people will be presented to the I by the Most I.
While in Shashemene I would try and take a trip up to Wendo Genet! It is a gorgeous green paradise, verdant heaven as the name means. Rasta in Shashemene will be able to guide the I up to the mountain where there is a waterfall called Haile Selassie Shower.
Some places in Shashemene to meet the Rasta youths will probably be the coffee shops outside the Together Hotel which is nearby the zeiro-asr area on the roadside, across the road from the WAS gas station, it is on the north fork on the road after passing into Shashemene and passing by the 12 Tribes HQ. That HQ is another place to go in Shashemene, and also the hotel nearby called Mickey Juicebeyt. If you ask a bajaj driver they should know where Mickey's is. They have hotel rooms and also serve great juices there. There is the Banana Leaf Art Gallery and also the Nyahbinghi museum where the elder will lead you on an educational tour of their artifacts, paintings, and photos.
Fulljoy, JAH vibes and Itection with the I.

Messenger: NewRas Sent: 1/7/2019 1:09:25 PM

Give thanks Nesta! It's been a truly blessed experience thus far. I most certainly feel as though I am on a pilgrimage to Jah. Being about to see His Majesty's Eternal Throne with my own eyes. To see the Holy Trinity Church in which there are the images of His Majesty and Christ exist in tandem. To really view the history with my own eyes of what I have only seen videos and read books about is truly amazing. To even be allowed to take part in the Christmas Ceremony of the Tewahedo Church and treated so humbly by the people of Ethiopia, they really make you feel at home because InI are home. Give thanks for you kind words Nesta.

Jah Child, I thank the I greatly. I should be heading to Shashamane in a couple of days now. I've run into some issues as of recent but with the information you have provided I am feeling much more confident about my journey to Shashamane from Addis. As you have said, I have ended up meeting such humble and helpful people already who have exposed me to so much more of Ethiopia than I ever imagined I would see and experience. I give thanks for all the information you provided for I know this will be of great assistance to me upon my arrival.

Give thanks for my blessed brethren!
One Love!

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 25

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I