Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=4851&start_row=21

Bongo Watu - Youth Black Faith - Nyahbinghi

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 25
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ras Raza Sent: 3/19/2014 2:40:06 PM

Yes I the word Africa itself is probably not outvented by the Romans but it was originally used to refer to the area of Tunisia and Libya by the Roman people. The province was called so and after a certain time the whole coast line of the north of the continent was called so and after that the whole continent was called so. The I should check it out Iself to get a more distinct Iverstanding of this whole thing.

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 3/19/2014 4:16:28 PM

Yes Fyah RasRaza, Sabbath prolly got Itiopi roots from sebat but also "Saba" in Kemetic meant day of d "Grey headed men" or "people of the spirit force" and Saba still means people in Ge'ez and mass of people in Oromo from some Isearch Iman do. But Africa is rooted in indigenous terms for certain tribal group and ancestral people such the Afar tribe,Afir and Afra maybe even Ephraim (Efra'im- people of Efra depending on dialect). But da Romans used dat name because dey conquered Afra (North Africa) dey would take on da names of the place dey conquer hence Africanus because Scipios beat Hannibal so he took on da name of his territory. Yes Aetiops meant burnt face in Greek but according to Itiopi source dey had a King name Itiopi so da Greeks prolly jus call everybody by his name since dey all were prolly under his authority. Oh and remember da place in Nigeria and da war and bight of Bi'AFRA!!

Messenger: Ras Raza Sent: 3/19/2014 6:39:10 PM

Yes Ras give thanks for the data and information VoodooRuutz... The Romans took the name from the tribes who lived in that certain area.

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 3/19/2014 7:37:15 PM

BlessUp Raza! Bukoo ones think of Ifrica and Itiopi dat way dey usually gi Africa to Leo Africanus tho. InI must chop out d Greeco/Roman rotten fruit and get
Back to d root. Tree dont grow from fruit to root. Ones should check out Catherine Acholonu Lumba- They Lived Before Adam; she giv Africa to AFRA-KA, spirit or soul if AFRA.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 3/19/2014 9:37:12 PM

I've heard many people complain or disagree with using the word Africa. Theres nothing wrong with the word Africa. Haile Selassie never saw anything wrong with declaring himself an African, neither Marcus Garvey. The word has indigenous roots outside of Africanus. And the word is the least racist/offensive i've seen for our people: Black, Negro, Ethiopian, Moor; are all terms created in the oppression of white supremacy. Furthermore, Africans in this time today will identify themselves by their linguistic / tribal / village names...but my brothers will also identify the collective of 'Africa' and being proudly African. We have defined this term for ourselves in this time, are we not allowed to do that? We have to have permission from none African people to define we? The ideology and works upon works put forth by our revolutionary Ancestors, fronted by His Majesty; of Pan-AFRICAnism... Do ones know what that word means and represents as the answer and direct Lightning in the face of imperialism and white supremacy? Sometime they infiltrate nonesense into we reasoning which only cause division.

#PanAfrican Garvey

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 25

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I