Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=4851&start_row=11

Bongo Watu - Youth Black Faith - Nyahbinghi

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 25
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 3/16/2014 7:21:03 PM

^^ while I'm sure you don't agree iah I'm glad you start to see my logics. I don't use the term. Sometimes you have to engage with people on their level of overstanding when talking or delivering a message seen? A so it go........

Ras Nate give thanks for the breakdown. But the fact is the J is a Babylonian creation. The only reason we say Jah is because it was in the English versions of the bible given to the Jamaicans in that era. The word Jah isn't even in the majority of Bible. The original would be YHWH or some would claim Eloheim. Jah is not indiginous and that is what' Watu a realEyse. For the Ras who don't deal with Haile Selassie strictly through a bible interpretation, it's a none argument. God is a recent term from German origin, so Ras gone past that longtime. But why stop at Eloheim or Yahweh, why not Neter? Ra? Why not Allah? A better we stick with Haile Selassie direct no confusion people know exactly who and what you a talk without further explanation and interpretation required.....

Haile Selassie I deal with.

One thing to focus on is not what the original Incient rasta were saying but why they were saying. Why did they not say God why did they say Jah? I believe they were searching for something more original / native to them. African Roots and culture we a look to, especially in dealing with the identity of 'God.' Now we have further overstanding of these words in this time, we don't just have one old King James Version and two brothers literate enough to read it; InI may choose to not use those words anymore for the same reasons as originally set. It sounds like Watu a do just that.

Messenger: Jah Dub Sent: 3/16/2014 8:03:00 PM

^^^^ I see your logic but still praise Jah

Messenger: RAS-NATE-1995 Sent: 3/16/2014 8:24:42 PM

???

GARVEYS AFRICA,I did not post anything in this reasoning...

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 3/16/2014 8:43:46 PM

I don't have a problem with saying Jah, Yah or not saying either. I say RasTafarI or Haile Selassie I or both together, more than I say Jah, but I still say Jah from time to time.

Messenger: zion mountain Sent: 3/17/2014 4:31:32 AM

Yes I Rastafari

Iman think the substitution of the word Jah is now at Ier Ites now and Iman side that though I and I still a seh Jah.

Our indigenous culture is now scattered and for over 400 years I and I roots were being trampled on,so it now takes a strong Irit like I said Ier Ites to find back those roots.
Obviously there wasnt a name Jah in Afrikan languages,but some seh its Hebrew and it sound attractive to call it.
Many think the Hebrew words,teachings etc are more valid than I own Ithiopian just because its in the Ible,but like we always say our roots are the foundation.

So for true,the name Haile Selassie or Rastafari would be more necessary than an other to avoid confusion,but we still have indigenous names for this Ivine Essence,like in Shona language its Musikavanhu meaning the Creator of Mankind.

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 3/17/2014 7:03:31 AM

Iman think diff dialect of d ancient language mite a pronounce d Y sound lil diff like some pronounce it wit da E sound like Eshua instead of Yeshua so some mite a say Jeshua. Dat Y thing is from modern interpretation a da old language what nobody yah today heard spoke so who really kno how dey said it. Don't kno if this had any affect on da term JAH but dey had a Igbo man taken as slave dat bought he freedom and become a King name King JaJa what got exile to St. Vincent and Barbados mite b a connection. InI read a while back dat da Akan (Ashanti/Fanti) have a word what relate to some form of da Supreme Essence dat begin wit da word GYA (pronounce Jah) similar to da "Gye" Nyame so maybe one of those is da true origin to Jah Jah since bukoo Akan and Igbo got ship to d Island.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 3/17/2014 5:45:34 PM

Some ideas I've never heard of before brethren give thanks. I favour new research, works fi do now! But I'm sure the Jamaicans coined the term based off of it being in their Bible at the time. We knew God was a modern thing, we saw Jah and Jahovia in the Bible and assumed the Hebrew original black people were saying this. So we reclaimed it as ours in the name of black supremacy. The funny thing is we now overs the word isn't even in most Bible, definitely not the older bible and scriptures. A judgement.

But my counter argument to myself would be. The word JAH is probably more 'famous' than Jahovia, in this time... Through Reggae music and Rasta worldwide image. When peope say Jah most people I imagine would automatically sight Haile Selassie in their mind image anyway. Not a bible text, not a God in a sky, not even a Hebrew thing. So in that consciousness, WE have created a new reality for the word, we have made our own definiton in this time. Jah......Rastafari. People know exactly wha you a talk.

Still, I stand on the fact that to just say Haile Selassie I is the Almighty and stop use all other name would remove all confusion and false religious retentions we may have.

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 3/17/2014 8:07:19 PM

Bless up Garvey's Africa, was jus a li thought I meditated on once and da Akan writer had da same thoughts but GYA and JAH but u most prolly right tho jus like to be open to all info.

Messenger: Ras Raza Sent: 3/19/2014 1:25:14 PM

Africa was originally a province of the Roman empire. That area was a part of what I and I now call North-Africa. So that word was actually used by the early Romans. Over time humans from the North discovered different parts of that unknown continent. With the name Africa they than referred to the whole continent and not only to the province of the Roman realm as formerly. The name Ethiopia comes from the greek word Aethiopia. Aithiops is a term which was used for all black African people and it means burnt-face. What Iman want to share here is that besides the words JAH, Africa and Ethiopia there are many other words which I and I also use without even knowing its Iriginal roots. These words for example have a Babylonian root. The name Sabbath might be of Semitic/Amharic root and origin since the number seven in Amharic is Sebat which is very similar. Misgana.

Messenger: Alkebulan Sent: 3/19/2014 2:13:16 PM

africa was originally a roman province??? Hold up i, ur making i n i question ur motives in silence here king, maybe the i shuld take OUT original from that sentence, theres nothing original abOut romans in "africa" and "africa" most defenitely neva ever been a roman province originally what does that even mean king? Maybe the i didnt mean to offend i n i but when human beings say things like that iman must ask for clearity king. Much love and raspect still. Haile selassie i Rastafari.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 25

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I