Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=914&start_row=1

Medhani Alem

1 - 5
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 7/7/2005 9:49:28 AM

Ises

This is for the one named Ancient Maori from NewZealand, or anyone else who knows

If i am not mistaken I have heard that the native maori tribes of newzealand refer to Bob Marley as the "saviour of the world" or as InI would say "Medhani Alem"
Have i heard correctly? How and When did this come about?

Blessed Love
Rastafari

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 7/11/2005 12:39:23 AM

Here is a couple of quotes I found concerning this,

-------------------
"If you visit the Maori of New Zealand or Native Americans, all of them proclaim Bob Marley and Rasta because it spoke to their spiritual needs, their resistance to oppression,"

"Marley's mark on the indigenous peoples of the South Pacific has been profound, despite the fact that he only played there once, a quarter of a century ago, in the spring of 1979. The Maori people of New Zealand were particularly taken by his revolutionary stance, and in his wake, a band called Herbs was formed, composed of Tongans, Samoans, and New Zealanders, singing protest songs to a reggae beat."
-------------------

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Dreadnut Sent: 7/11/2005 2:06:51 AM

Yes I! How blessed it is to see the influence of Rastafari through this world, I tell you it is a beautiful thing. Bob Marley was a light not only to his own, but to everyone in the world. Jah bless his soul, Iternally.

Ras Zion I

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 7/11/2005 10:04:16 AM

Yes I Ark I
Give thanks for that.
when i first heard this i was amazed because the maori are a tribal people and it was a surprise that they had even heard the music of Bob Marley at such an early time. The only visual of this i seen is the short film footage of the maori welcoming Bob in their traditional way
Its like Mutabaruka said in one of his reasonings:
Though babylon act as if rasta doesnt matter, InI know that Rastafari movement, in its first 100 years, has influenced the whole world so much more than christianity or Islam in their first 100 years

Messenger: jahlove_72 Sent: 7/12/2005 3:04:54 AM

Greetings

I do not know the answer Ras Kebre, but Bob was also recognized as a prophet by the Havasupi Tribe of the Grand Canyon, Arizona, US.

The movie 'Whale Rider' is a great film to watch that gives some insight to Maori culture.

Blessings

1 - 5

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I