Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7827&start_row=1

Why MUST we keep the sabbath at saturfa

1 - 5
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Jeffrey Di Lion Sent: 4/29/2023 6:11:00 AM

Messenger: Jeffrey Di Lion Sent: 4/29/2023 6:53:35 AM

Sorry for the title. My hand accidentally hit the "enter" button..

This thread is about me not understanding why the Sabbath MUST be kept on Saturday. However, I can easily see the point in having one day of the week where you can rest, meditate and give thanks and praises to the almighty creator, I don't understand the rules such as why you can't use fire to cook, as I see it as a relaxing meditative thing to stand in the kitchen and cook a delicious Ital dish without any stress. It's not really a working process to me. I view it more as a working process that a priest have to prepare a speech for the sabbath and then perform it good for his people.

When I ask these questions, everybody uses the bible to answer that God created the world in 6 days and rested on the 7th day. And that Israelites were given the command not to use fire. Cuz the bible says so....
What if God created the world in just one day? I can't go along with just "The bible says so" I need more evidence.

To be a serious person that believe in the bible at the same time, man must have some form of evidence that makes the person get some kind of a proof to believe in that book. Only an idiot would believe in a book without any kind of references right?

The whole goal is to find scientific proof of the sabbath and its rules which have NOTHING to do with the bible. After that I can consider the bible to be worthy enough to speak for my daily program.

What if monday is my sabbath in this week and then friday is my sabbath in next week? Why would it be any different than having my sabbath at saturday?

I have always been a spiritual person. Even before I dived into rasta. I meditated when I felt it was time to meditate and I worked when I felt it was time to work. I didn't follow any specific rules. I can tell you with a guarantee that if I didn't have a Bible I wouldn't automatically find that Saturday was exactly the day I should meditate and give thanks and praise.

If anyone can add any form of wisdom to this topic I would be more than happy.. Give thanks

Jeffrey Di Lion

Messenger: Ignorant/Wise Rasta Youth Sent: 5/7/2023 11:33:30 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEdjYuMdKTQ&t=739s

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 5/7/2023 11:21:24 PM

Greetings Idren. Eternal love to the I's.

Personally I am not following anything because the bible says so either. And do I wish I had a day to relax and meditate and not do any work? Yes of course. But is that realistic in my life? No. I just have too much to do all the time and honestly, no one is going to do the work if I don't do it, and it's more stressful for me to leave it undone than just to do it myself.

Today was a really nice relaxing day. But I did 5 loads of laundry, did the dishes my family left in the sink, vacuumed the whole house, swept the patio, took out the trash, gave my dog a bath... I mean I don't have time to do that on work days, so when else can I do it except on my days off? Can't do it on Monday because I have a lot of doctor appointments and have to cook my food prep for my lunches for the upcoming week. I mean literally every day I just have work to do and if I don't do it, it's not like I have time another day to do it.

Is this modern world too overworking? Yes. But what can I do to change that? I have to work 5 days a week and I have to catch up on chores on my days off. It's just how it is.

I am still happy with my day today and I feel accomplished when I look around at my clean house, pet my clean dog, etc. So I don't wish I had just sat the whole day without lifting I finger.

I guess I don't keep any sabbath on any day, or maybe I keep an hour of sabbath everyday when I do yoga, or maybe cleaning my house and feeling satisfied with it is a form of rest or destress for me.

I can't live my life according to a set of rules that some unknown person wrote thousands of years ago for a culture I'm not living in, supposedly received to him by a source I find deep integral issues with. Just have to find my own path and my own set of rules.

Does that make me less connected to the divine spirit I emanate from? I don't feel it does.

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 5/31/2023 1:35:52 PM

@JAH Child

Respect!

Before anyone breathes a word of patriarchal Mosaic law about this, let me first say that I respect you for keeping it 100. That's first and foremost. Secondly, many humans had the audacity to say that what they had to say was "thus saith the LORD" and many humans do so because of the POWER that this attracts to themselves (if others believe them). And I'm finding out even more of the story now, myself, even after all these years that I thought I had most of the story in my head, that it is far more of a socio-political chess game than I gave it credit for. These people... were very educated. And once they formulated this psychological programming they knew it was going to go "viral" just as things go today.

But that doesn't mean that everyone is speaking from the same SPIRIT. Anyone can claim to be, but rabbi Yeshua said that a tree is known by its fruit. And what's crazy is that I can't even be sure that he said that. It's simply what is written and attributed to him. But he died and in death he had no control of the narrative of his life. It could therefore be used by his friends... or his enemies.

So I want to encourage you by simply saying this.

Invest in your OWN spiritual connection. Rasta is a great path. Rasta uses what we were taught and elevates nature, oneness, love, peace, and unity. If anything is "of the spirit" I say it's that. And I say that same spirit is also in you.

So rest is good. That's the lesson. The people at the time needed a day of rest to relax and recharge. I personally need my weekends! Give me 2 days! But that doesn't mean I can't take time to clean or do whatever I choose to do. It may not exactly be what Yeshua taught by saying that man is master of the sabbath, but the bottom line is that it's about balance and taking positive time out for yourself and your family, not doing the same old grind. But if that's not possible (like it is in the case of some professions like doctors), then get your rest when you can get it. It's about balance. It's not good for anyone to work all the time. You'll get burnt out, stressed, etc. And I believe in venting negative energy and relieving tension and stress and all that as much as possible. It's life and death for me. So yes, listen to your body. Listen to nature. The spirit speaks through these.

1 - 5

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I