Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7546&start_row=1

Haile Selassie described as Caucasian?!

1 - 8
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: AngelSeeker Sent: 8/7/2021 7:33:15 AM

I AM NOT HERE TO DESTROY THE FAITH, BUT TO BECOME WISER ON THE SUBJECT

https://www.africanexponent.com/post/10378-the-legacy-of-a-caucasian-god-masquerading-as-a-black-messiah

In this article it says that Haile Selassie described himself as a caucasian. That it was under pressure that he late outlawed slavery. That Marcus Garvey's statement that an African king will be crowned is not proven and that he actually did not like Haile Selassie at all. Actually the articles says that Garvey accused him of being a slave master.

FROM THE ARTICLE:
'I am not a Negro at all; I am Caucasian," is probably the most unfortunate manifestation of a schizophrenic identity crisis in recorded history. To ice the irony, it was the black savior himself, Emperor Haile Selassie who made the clarification to pan-Africanist, Benito Sylvain. Since the Emperor thought of himself as something other than a Negro, it is quite unsurprising that he was slow to outlaw slavery. In fact, after much pressure from abolitionists in Britain, the Emperor had said slavery was a traditional economic institution in Ethiopia and if Ethiopians would read the articles written of it, a revolution would break out.'

'A few clarifications need to be made from the onset - Firstly, there is no proof that Garvey made such a statement and some people have attributed it to Reverend James Morris Webb who may have said something to that effect at a convention in 1924. Secondly, even if he said it, Garvey's appraisal of Selassie was provably scathing and most uncharitable thus rebuffing any romanticization of the emperor's legacy. Garvey called Selassie "a great coward" and "the leader of a country where black men are chained and flogged". Ernest Cashmore's Dictionary of Race and Ethnic Relations says, "...what Garvey said was less important than what he was reputed to have said". And so the world romanticized with the mythical black savior instead of confronting the reality of the man who made many mistakes.'

'Selassie was not the father of African unity because Kwame Nkrumah had preceded him.'

'However, Nkrumah's urgent message of African unity was reduced to an impractical dream of an "egocentric hothead" while Selassie became the reasonable "moderate". In what could have easily been mistaken for a glowing obituary, the article read, "The Emperor is imperturbable and he is a good negotiator. As a conciliator, he works on each disputant separately, winning his confidence, and explaining to each what he has to gain from a proposed compromise. He speaks carefully and never suggests radical change." The key lay under the rubble of flattery: He never suggests radical change. That is why they preferred him to "hotheaded" Nkrumah.'

So my question to you rasta people is: what will you say to all this? And how would you explain Selassie's invasion of Eritrea?

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 8/7/2021 9:27:24 AM

H.I.M. Haile Selassie I always referred to Himself and His nation as Ethiopians, I don't know where this supposed Caucasian business comes from. You must be thinking of where Marcus Garvey criticized Selassie I for going into exile in Britain after the Italians invaded Ethiopia against international law using devious methods such as poison gas (supposedly outlawed after the first world war (1914-1918).

Also, although this is a controversial subject probably for Eritreans, Eritrea was historically part of Ethiopia and the Axumite empire, it became a colony of the Italians and British later. The Eritreans would try to stir up trouble in Ethiopia so it is necessary for any leader to protect their state against nefarious agents.

Messenger: King Jam Sent: 8/7/2021 2:34:09 PM

sounds to me like a bunch of haters. they dont even give the reference to where they so happened to get that quote calling himself Caucasian. which makes no sense. as he knew the power of the ethiopian history.

they hated Christ and tried to lower his name when he walked.

Messenger: King Jam Sent: 8/7/2021 2:36:01 PM

also please link me to when haile selassie invaded Eritrea ?

Messenger: Jahcub I Sent: 8/7/2021 6:07:35 PM

AngelSeeker,

You could never destroy the faith, even if you tried and tried, you would just die trying.

I have never read a quote from His Majesty claiming to be caucasian, and even after reading the article you posted: I have still never read any quotes from His Majesty claiming to be caucasian. The article you linked made no references for that quote. Where is the proof of such a claim?

I have only ever read His Majesty say that He was African or Ethiopian. Also His Majesty denounced and fought against white supremacy. He made numerous speeches about these that can easily be quoted and referenced.

Messenger: Jahcub I Sent: 8/8/2021 1:20:41 PM

I looked it up and the article you linked is based on false information, old rumors about Menelik II. Now they mix it up and try and place the same old false accusations on Selassie I.

This article will should clear up such confusion:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nazret.com/2016/11/30/ethiopias-emperor-menelik-a-caucasian/amp/

Messenger: Cedric Sent: 8/8/2021 9:59:02 PM

Bless Up Idren,

AngelSeeker, interesting how your opening disclaimer seems like you stand with InI in the faith but then your ending question proves you see InI as separate from yourself.

InI can all agree that Slavery should be abolished. History has shown us slavery can take many forms, and that some are more vile than others. I think economic slavery that one can raise oneself out of is something totally different than the form of slavery that was practiced in the amerikkkas and western world.

It doesn't matter what Garvey said or who prophesized HIM's arrival. Haile Selassie I is King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah. Earth's rightful ruler. Christ in his Kingly character, with the head of government on his shoulders. It doesn't matter who says what about HIM Haile Selassie I, it doesn't change those facts.

InI are not perfect, as InI are human. Christ is not perfect, as Christ is human. Anyone that says the Christ is perfect lives in a fantasy world and can wait to be taken up to heaven on a cloud for all I care. HIM Haile Selassie I is Christ in his Kingly character and showed InI how to educate InI self and work and choose the good and do the best InI can. HIM Haile Selassie I broke the seals and revealed to InI the power of the Christ lives in InI, in the image of the Most High. The World stands as a witness to the Living JAH.

Where is the land that Kwame Nkrumah was able to legally set aside for Black people of the world that had been torn from their homeland? Shashamane stands as evidence that HIM Haile Selassie I had the authority and followed through with his word to act as the champion of African people. Nevermind the fact that the Derg did their best to erase such evidence. They crucified Christ so InI can't be surprised.

Bless Up Eleazar, King Jam, and Jahcub I. Give thanks for InI wisemind

HIM HAILE SELASSIE I LOVE

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 8/9/2021 4:06:57 PM

Yes I, big up Jahcub for setting the record straight. Long time Europeans have sought to whitewash and trivialize the African greatness of the Ethiopian empire. Angelseekers completely inaccurate article is an example of the subversive efforts to rewrite His-story.

The quote of Menelik stating he was a caucasian comes from an account written by Skinner, a European journalist, not by the Haitian Sylvain, who wrote his own account. Even if the quote was taken at face value, which would by foolish at best, there are key points to examine. Skinner's interpretation is just one example in a myriad of examples of Europeans whitewashing facts. What is a fact is that neither the word "negro" or "caucasian" exist in the Amharic language, so what Menelik actually said is forever unknown. However, Skinner himself alludes to a different meaning despite his word choice, having written: "“The Emperor  is said to have listened with great patience the exposition of this idea, and then, WITH THAT FINE, DRY HUMOR, CHARACTERISTIC OF HIM, he replied:

“Yours is a most excellent idea, my young friend. The negro should be uplifted. I applauded your theory, and I wish you the greatest possible success. But in coming to me to take the leadership, you are knocking at the wrong door, so to speak. You know, I am not a negro at all: I am a Caucasian.” (Abyssinia Today, 130-131). [Emphasis mine]

Whatever Menelik actually said was, according to Skinner, said with humor. Humor and wordplay are highly prized values amongst Ethiopians and intrinsic to Ethiopian culture and a reflection of the high intellect Ethiopians exercise in regular communication. Also, after Sylvain and Menelik met Sylvain went on to act as Menelik's personal representative to the Pan African delegation in London, which only reinforces the fact that Sylvain was never dismissed but rather he and his mission were very much embraced.

Perfect Love and Raspect to all the I dem fighting for truth in His Majesty's name!

Link to another article and examination of what's really what:

https://ecadforum.com/2016/05/26/ethiopia-dr-tsegaye-ararssas-caucasian-menelik/amp/

1 - 8

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I