Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7388&start_row=1

Snowden

1 - 5
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Evison Matafale Skræling Sent: 7/26/2020 12:10:50 AM

Haile Selassie I

any Ras able to iducate I about
Edward Snowden? what he did
who is he
wahappen and why? and now?
How is he regarded
in the I them neighborhood?

th ankhs for any info or opinions

Messenger: Evison Matafale Skræling Sent: 7/27/2020 12:58:23 AM

I saw IPX mentioned snowden in another posting and I dont really know what happened w him . I can google it but i like to hear Rastafari wisemind first.
I give thankhs for any input.

Wisdom

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 7/27/2020 12:07:47 PM

Snowden is a whistle blower for US surveillance. To some he is a hero, including myself. But to others he is a bad guy who shouldn't have revealed state secrets. Anyone interested should make sure they have watched the Will Smith movie, Enemy of the State. Great movie. Even though it is fictional it shed light on something we knew was true and growing.

As the world changes (and I'll try to make this less of a book) the face of war and economics change. The same way companies want your information to sell you products, your data is valuable in other respects. The age of information is the age of intelligence. Imagine a war where none of the fighters can communicate and where they're all dressed the same. Threats in the modern era aren't so much from other governments and powers who desire conquest. There is still some of that but its mostly cyber threats, countries competing like companies.

Do governments need to spy on us? Technically... yes. In this age? Yes.

Reason being, threats use communications and guerrilla tactics to infiltrate. So you have to tap into those communications and spot their allies and potential allies because certain things you just cannot do or buy or obtain without the right documents, licenses, etc. So in order to keep your own people safe from the people who are walking past them on the street everyday, whether they are plotting to build bombs or just plotting to mass murder people from some hotel room in Vegas... the only way you can get ahead of these things before there's a mushroom cloud or bodies dropping is to use some measure of surveillance. No one likes it but most people would rather walk through an xray than to wonder if the plane they're getting on could be hijacked.

So even though Snowden would agree that some measure of this is necessary for our security, what he saw went too far in his opinion. The capabilities you need to have may need to be completely insane FOR WHEN YOU DO NEED IT. But having a weapon in your arsenal means you shouldn't pull it out unless you need to. And you have to make it so that weapon, paid for and developed by the people, isn't manipulated or exploited by corrupt people meaning to do them harm.

So Snowden rang the alarm to tell Americans about the capabilities and potential of the government. Since these systems can be thought of as still being relatively young, it's like having a child that you know is going to be 7' tall and 300lbs but not teaching him any morality. You have to have balance. And even in the secular world of government that means you must have ethics and rules and regulations.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2019/sep/13/edward-snowden-interview-whistleblowing-russia-ai-permanent-record

So his fears aren't just about where we are but where we go from here. Eventually, an AI will most likely be spotting you on camera and checking against a database of behaviors for anything suspicious and it will notify nearby officers to try and prevent crime. I can't know this for sure because it partially depends on how we vote and what we allow in the future. And AI might tag every word you've ever said online back to your real identity and you could be on watch lists because of statements you made being similar to some one else's ideas who might be a violent extremist. Snowden wanted us to start thinking about this; to have conversations about this, not simply sit here while it develops behind and watching our backs.

Messenger: Evison Matafale Skræling Sent: 8/5/2020 7:49:22 AM

Rastafari.

Alot of info here. Thankhs for this

Snowden a hero for u? Seems like coming forward was mos def the correct thing to do iya.

Need some time to reach a innerstanding i self on this bcos when i first read what the i is saying , it sounds like rationalizing for illegal US Govt. surveillance. And also,

"Eventually, an AI will most likely be spotting you on camera and checking against a database of behaviors for anything suspicious and it will notify nearby officers to try and prevent crime."

Horrific nightmare, is there no escape?

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 8/5/2020 8:04:08 AM

only as much as the people rebel against it. IF it happens it will happen in the UK as probably one of the first places. And the justification will be to prevent terrorism. In the US you have to pay attention to the speed trap cameras. For anyone who hasn't seen these, they only exist in some areas. The camera can detect your speed and take a picture of your license plate automatically if you're over the limit and you get a ticket in the mail. But ultimately, the people can cry out against these things and get rid of it. And some communities will be more successful in getting rid of it while others will not. Communities with higher crime will be more likely to have it so those who don't want to be watched and can afford to move will likely move. It wont be everywhere because the cameras and setup will be expensive.

This is only my prediction.

1 - 5

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I