Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=736&start_row=1

Jamaica's National Hero

1 - 2
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: the rock Sent: 3/27/2005 12:36:06 PM

Jamaica's National Hero

Rt. Excellent Paul Bogle
1822 - 1865

Paul Bogle, it was believed, was born free about 1822. He was a Baptist deacon in Stony Gut, a few miles north of Morant Bay, and a voter at a time when there were only 104 in St. Thomas. He was a firm political adherent of George William Gordon.

He believed in the teachings of the Holy Bible, endorsing the principles of charity and endurance.

Though he was generally regarded as a peaceful man who shunned violence, he was a leader and organizer, he spent time in educating and training his followers.

Poverty and injustice in the society and lack of public confidence in the central authority urged Paul Bogle to lead a protest march to the Morant Bay Court-house on October 11, 1865.

In a violent confrontation with official forces that followed the march, nearly 500 people were killed and a greater number were flogged and punished before order was restored.

Paul Bogle who lived in St. Thomas was captured and hanged on October 24, 1865; but his forceful demonstration achieved it’s objectives. It paved the way for the establishment of just practices in the courts and it brought about a change in official attitude which made possible the social and economic betterment of the people.

"Service to Humanity Means Sacrifice"

Messenger: Dreadnut Sent: 3/27/2005 12:43:19 PM

Paul Bogle and William Gordon. Names I haven't heard for sometime now. Give thanks bredren!

Rastafari Selassie I
Ras Zion I

1 - 2

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I