Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7316&start_row=1

Religion or spiritual liverty part 2

1 - 5
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ignorant/Wise Rasta Youth Sent: 3/31/2020 2:31:21 AM

First of all InI give thanks for all answers meaning a lot to the I

I would like to continue this thread if some of the I's wa fi join innit
The South African lecturer Midas H. Chawane have made an article about Rastafari liverty vs religion. (he thinks it's a religion) He say himself it's Rastafari's religious character that maintains its existence.

- Midas: "But when other aspects of the definitions are used, such as a unified system of beliefs and practices, Rastafarianism qualifies as a religion. Rastafarians' objection to classify their movement as a religion is that of institutionalizing religion into a church (Harrison 2006: 132-152), however, this cannot be true because in South Africa there are Rastafarian churches which are known as houses with branches in most townships"

-Midas: " When looking at the definition of the concept religion, it does not exclude Rastafarianism. Considering that there are remarkable similarities between Rastafarianism and other religious movements especially Judaism and Christianity, it can be concluded that Rastafarianism possesses enough features to be called a religious movement. The fact that Rastafarianism is concerned with the economic and political aspects of human existence does not disqualify it as a religion, considering that both African and liberation theologies are concerned with similar issues but they are still classified as religious movements."

-Midas: "Most aspects of Rastafarianism such as dreadlocks, the use of sacrament, the concept of Zion and Babylon, its association with Zionism, Haile Selassie and the Solomonic Dynasty all makes it more of a religious movement. What makes Rastafarianism a religious movement is that it is grounded on religious principles that they share with other religious movements. What can be said thus, is that Rastafarianism is a religion that concentrates not only in the spiritual lives of its adherents but also their history, political, social and economic lives."

So the dreadlocks we can cut out cuz yuh nuh need dread to be rasta, but all these spiritual tobics holding the movement together in the end as religious principles?

Well
What do you think?
What are your answers to that?

Messenger: Ignorant/Wise Rasta Youth Sent: 3/31/2020 3:40:31 AM

We confess to several religions and scriptures. Some read the Bible others read the Qur'an or something third

Cult definition
"A cult is a ritual worship of a god, a shrine, or a sacred object. The people who are part of the cultivation also form a cult together. In archeology, objects considered to have been used in religious contexts are often referred to as cult objects."

So do you consider Rastafari as a cult?

Messenger: Ignorant/Wise Rasta Youth Sent: 4/2/2020 11:04:33 AM

http://www.scielo.org.za/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S1011-76012014000200011

Can you accept Chawane's conclusion at the bottom of the article. If not. What are your counter arguments. I know I can't accept it, but it could be nice to hear some other I's

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 4/2/2020 3:34:48 PM

Midas speaks from his own limited perspective. If fruitarianism or veganism was a religion he would use that to justify his opinion how Rastafri is a religion too.

I say if Rastafari is a religion it is that religion from the beginning. The religion of the birds and the bees. The religion of the lions and and the sun and stars.

Anthropology studies indigenous cultures. They don't label religions on to them but rather culture and cosmology. Go and ask the Bush men what their religion is, go and ask the Lakota what their religion is....Whats the religion of a mango tree? What was the religion of Abraham who refused all religions? The true religion is no religion at all, just as a book about music is not music at all. Before the music book was the music and before religion was livity. Beetoven lived the music long before it was written as sheet music. After all he was deaf and blind.

Messenger: Ignorant/Wise Rasta Youth Sent: 4/3/2020 2:32:24 PM

Give much thanks jessep86!

1 - 5

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I