Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7203&start_row=1

How do I&I read the bible?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 74
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ignorant/Wise Rasta Youth Sent: 10/8/2019 2:04:40 PM

Hello Jah bless

I don't quite know how to read the Bible. I know I need to read the Old Testament King James Bible. But when Haile Selassie says read the Bible and find the truth for yourself. Does he just mean that you have to incorporate everything in the old testament that doesn't exactly work right into your mindset?

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 10/9/2019 6:20:21 AM

Read the bible by learning where it was plagarized from - and then read that instead. My personal suggestion.

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 10/9/2019 12:23:40 PM

Exactly my suggestion as well sistren!

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 10/9/2019 1:02:31 PM

Read the bible from Genesis to Revelation. If you want to read it that's how you should read it, not the way Christians do in church. Read it cover to cover and decide for yourself how much of it is true and how much of it is simply myths and legends and what's designed to be allegorical, alluding to spiritual insight only.

JAH Child is not wrong but you have know the thing before you can then compare the thing to other things. The problem is a lot of people don't really know the bible before they believe it. If you think about it it's completely backwards. We're told not to judge a book by its cover but we assume the bible is the holy word of God before we even open it. Right? Tell me how much sense that makes. We believe it only because other people believe it and tell us to believe it. I'm not telling you to believe it. I'm telling you to think for yourself but to be informed by actually reading it properly like you would a regular book. Because it isn't just one book but the books were put in that order for a reason. But yes, after you read it, preferably without bias, then investigate older myths and see for yourself if the similarities are enough to suggest that the bible borrowed for them. Of course I will tell you the answer is yes, but that it was a common practice among ancient cultures. They didn't have copyright and laws plagiarism laws like that so to us it was wrong but to them it was normal and okay. But if that sounds problematic that their idea of God wasn't unique to their own culture... is that really a problem?

At the end of the day the concept of God should be a concept that is universal. But whether that God is a real "person" and not just a set of ideals and beliefs given life by human beings... that's a conclusion you have to reach on your own. But what to incorporate into your own spiritual journey should be your decision, AFTER you read the book. You shouldn't believe ANYTHING before you've even read it.

note: it also helps to read it online using bibleontheweb.com and http://www.linkedword.com

With the first link you get easy navigation and about every version you can think of and didn't even know existed. The second link is something I utilized a lot in my own personal study and research; especially in my anti-trinity research. By clicking a word it shows you the original Hebrew or Greek and the possible translated definitions. So this is what will tell you that "alma" can mean "young woman" and not necessarily a "virgin". That's one example of many that you can see for yourself without someone like me telling you how people have gotten it wrong.

Enjoy!

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 10/9/2019 10:08:20 PM

IandI read the Bible like Emperor Haile Selassie the 1st

"WE IN ETHIOPIA HAVE ONE OF THE OLDEST VERSIONS OF THE BIBLE, but however old the version may be, in whatever language it might be written, the Word remains one and the same. It transcends all boundaries of empires and all conceptions of race. It is eternal.

No doubt you all remember reading in the Acts of the Apostles of how Philip baptised the Ethiopian official. He is the first Ethiopian on record to have followed Christ, and from that day onwards the Word of God has continued to grow in the hearts of Ethiopians. And I might say for myself that from early childhood I was taught to appreciate the Bible and my love for it increases with the passage of time. All through my troubles I have found it a cause of infinite comfort.

"Come unto Me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest" who can resist an invitation so full of compassion?

Because of this personal experience in the goodness of the Bible, I was resolved that all my countrymen should also share its great blessing and that by reading the Bible they should find truth for themselves. Therefore, I caused a new translation to be made from our ancient language into the language which the old and the young understood and spoke.

Today man sees all his hopes and aspirations crumbling before him. He is perplexed and knows not whither he is drifting. But he must realise that the Bible is his refuge, and the rallying point for all humanity. In it man will find the solution of his present difficulties and guidance for his future action, and unless he accepts with clear conscience the Bible and its great Message, he cannot hope for salvation. For my part I glory in the Bible"

As for the bible burners, they have good points. Its good to overstand both sides.
One Love!!!
Rastafari!!!

Messenger: Jahcub Onelove Sent: 10/10/2019 8:29:07 AM

I&I read the Bible with love and appreciation; and with clear conscience accept the Bible and its message.

Check the example and teachings of Haile Selassie, HIM say, "And I might say for myself that from early childhood I was taught to appreciate the Bible and my love for it increases with the passage of time. All through my troubles I have found it a cause of infinite comfort."

"In it (the Bible) man will find the solution of his present difficulties and guidance for his future action, and unless he accepts with clear conscience the Bible and its great Message, he cannot hope for salvation. For my part I glory in the Bible."

"When, all honour and praise be to God, We had brought about the liberation of Ethiopia and had entered Our Empire, realizing that there ought to be a revision from the original Hebrew and Greek of the existing translation of the Bible, We chose scholars qualified for the work of Biblical training and on March 6th, 1947 set up a Bible Committee in Our Palace. The Committee worked with diligence for some five years, and on April 19th. 1952 presented the translation to Us. We give heartfelt thanks to all who helped Us in this work. All the ancient Scriptures were written for Our instruction, in order that through the encouragement they give Us, we may maintain Our hope with fortitude. Because We desire that the light which comes from the Scriptures may shine to all, this Bible by Our command and will has been revised and printed in the Thirty-First year of Our reign"

Read a chapter a day. Simple enough. The I can also read the daily and evening Psalms. Here's a link for the Psalms

Give JAH RasTafarI thanks and praise, and ask JAH for guidance and wisdom; for the real eyes to realise the real lies that you have been told.
And learn your history, because if you don't know the history, then the truth and the knowledge of the Bible will remain a mystery.

Haile I
Selassie I
JAH RasTafarI

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 10/14/2019 3:22:51 AM

Ini read the bible by keeping it closed and staying faaaaar from it

InI draw from life experience and the experiences of InI ancestors. As well as I brothers and sisters in this time.

InI a living bible

Messenger: Chalice Sent: 10/18/2019 12:58:25 AM

Interested in the man GA,s stance on - is he Rastafari to begin with?

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 10/18/2019 1:04:43 AM

Born and grow as Rastafari.

Rastafari is not dependant upon Christian belief and Bible stories. Although we can use such things, if needed, given InI peoples affliction with Judeochristianity Islam over the past 1000 years: as a crutch or tool to grasp certain concepts and overstanding

Messenger: Chalice Sent: 10/18/2019 1:06:26 AM

Rastafari "a la carte" ?

Or staunch Selassie I ?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 74

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I