Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7183&start_row=11

Modesty question

1 - 1011 - 15
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 9/4/2019 5:25:23 AM

I agree with the I views sistren and sistren. I jus am at odds with the Biblical teaching blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth.. I don't like modesty in terms of meekness passiveness and anti-luxury. The Jews call this Tznuit. I especially don't like when people are telling InI to live this way because our luxuries shall come AFTER we dead and gone. InI want heaven on earth not after I gone

Modesty in terms of clothing I believe to be 100%s subjective according to which culture you are observing. To dress naked in the west infers something completely different to a naked Bush woman etc.

I had a recent "debate" with an apparently judgemental European Ras dressed in jesus sandal and long simple dull clothing whereas I that day had on a gold chain with a golden ankh, Bright clothing and name brand sneaker. I could almost palpate his disapproval and feeling of betterment over I in this trod name Rastafari. Because of clothing? I have to laugh. This isn't me attacking the sandal wearing white dreads by the way just a recent happening. For racial balance, there was also a minor physical altercation with I and an African dreadlocks at the same function. But that's another story, LOL

If Morgan Heritage can sell off their single talking about you don't have to be dread to be Rasta then I don't believe Rasta should judge or give doctrine on apparel outside of pure personal choice.

Selassie I
Kingly in character and appearance

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 9/4/2019 9:56:35 AM

I completely agree brotha.

LMAOOOOO @ white jesus "rasta"!! I know exactly what you mean! I have had similar reactions by white hippy-Rasta for wearing bright colors, big Ankh, jewelery, etc.

Look here, we Afrikans are a bright and colorful people and have always adorned ourselves. Be it with colorful clothing, shells, beads, flowers, and so on.

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 9/4/2019 3:16:45 PM

One of the reasons I love Rastas around the world is that unlike Christianity which has a certain look to it one day of the week, Rastas are always Rastas. But real religion is not what you wear. It is the refinement of your internal character, not your external shell or the artificial skin and hair that you wear over it.

We were born naked. We arrived on the scene naked. Who told man to feel this thing called shame? Who told mankind that his or her body was something to feel shame about? Who told mankind that exposing their natural body was shameful?

Yeshua said something which I thought was profitable for wisdom in this regard. He was talking about food, but the same can apply to clothing.

Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man. - Matthew 15:11

The Pharisees at the time represented the religious orthodoxy. And they had certain ways of even washing one's hands. When a person seeks a religious identity and is devoid of spiritual enlightenment they are entertained by the trappings of the symbols that others do to reinforce and remind them of the internal struggle between good and evil and the internal quest for righteousness. Symbols... Nothing more. Who you are is what matters. And who you are is not concerned with how you look.

He who judges a book by the cover isn't mature enough to read it.

Can they even read?

When Paul said the law was a schoolmaster what he meant was that at a certain point it should be part of you. Once "inside" you it is no longer an external thing to consult, but rather your internal nature. If your internal nature is righteous how could you possibly defiled by anything you wear or any skin you show?

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 9/5/2019 5:07:36 AM

"and who you are is not concerned with how you look."

Not for the wolf in sheep....I agree. But InI Rastafari identify using a panafrican cultural expression such as locks, red gold and green etc.

I think how you look doesn't define who you are

But..

Who you are may have significant influence on how you look.

For me that subtle phraseological difference works.

Bless up everyone. The past week I have seen a welcome return of crucial reasoning

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 9/6/2019 4:16:53 PM

Absolutely correct. That's what I mean when I say its not what goes in but rather what comes out. One should always express who one is inside and in truth. The outside can be copied. Wolves can blend in. If that's what you love then that is Jah in you shining out and that's beautiful.

I prefer cargo sweatpants, preferably white or gray, beaded bracelet with Buddha metal links on one side, and depending on what kind of v neck I'm rocking I might wear my Black Panther silver talon necklace. But that's just me. First and foremost we all just need to express our genuine selves and learn to love and accept each other regardless of what the cover of the book looks like.

One Love.

1 - 1011 - 15

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I