Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7150&start_row=1

Self Mastery, Self Discipline

1 - 10
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 4/15/2019 2:55:07 AM

Thankhs for Life to the Source of All Life

In Iwomban Iditations remains the ideas of self mastery and self discipline...
How important is it to become self mastered and self disciplined?
What does it mean?

In some languages the teacher or principal in a school is called a master (maestro) or a headmaster. A master is not just someone whose commands you follow. A master is a teacher. To achieve self mastery is to reach a state where you are your own teacher. You hone an inner sense of knowing, against which you judge everything that comes from outside. Is this the scales of Ma'at?

Discipline, also, is not simply a state of following commands. A disciple is someone who follows a teacher. To be self disciplined does not only mean that you are in control of yourself, but also that you are learning from yourself. Taking the lessons of self mastery into practice.

So self mastery and self discipline is a cyclical process, an internally focused process. Trust in the self is a must, without it we will always look toward an authority outside ourselves to tell us what is correct. Maybe self mastery and self discipline also mean that we don't need the approval of anyone else, we don't need anyone to follow our teachings, because the Master inside is already being fulfilled by the Disciple inside.

What are the I&I thoughts on Self Mastery and Self Discipline?
What role do these ideas play in your life?

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 4/16/2019 8:43:33 AM

Yes sistren! Give thanks for a thought provoking post, come like breath of fresh air!

Speaking for Iself, Life in and of itself is our “university.” The very purpose of this physical experience is (or should be) a process of Self Mastery: an alchemical transformation of lower self to higher self.

From Spiritual Philosophy, by Dr. Muata Ashby:

“Purification of the heart (consciousness) leads to the HIGHEST GOOD: ETERNAL LIFE and Supreme Peace.”

“He who grasps the truth of the Mental Nature of the Universe is well advanced on the path to Self-Mastery.”

“Mind, as matter, may be transmuted from state to state, degree to degree, condition to condition, pole to pole and vibration to vibration. Transmutation is a Mental Art.”

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 4/16/2019 9:52:45 AM

Love Goddess!
Thankhs for sharing the I thoughts and these quotes from Ashby. I haven't read this book, but I love his work, I will look this one up.
In complete agreement about the I's view on life's work.. the Magnum Opus. The fire is the refinement process that turns out lead to gold. So give thankhs for those times of walking through the fire.

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 5/12/2019 8:12:47 PM

A few of The Grand Keys:

~ To see Haile Selassie the First as a Guru, an example, a
Enlightened being and NOT a Sky God is a Grand Key of Ras
Tafari.

~ To know that no Body, His Most August Majesty included
can "save" another being, but the Self is the Savior is a
Grand Key to Ras Tafari.

~ To know that many Masters have and continue to walk
this Earth Mother in the vehicles, the bodies of many bodies
is a Grand key to Ras tafari.

~ To overstand that "One cannot be save without the
Guru, yet the Guru can save not a single one," is a Highly and
mystikal paradox is a Grand Key of Ras tafari.

~ To know that all Masters work diligently to unveil the
Truth of I; to know that His August Majesty too studied and
practiced until the moment of Completion are Grand Keys to
Ras Tafari.

~ To know that you are your own Jah, your own Way, your
own Light, your own Guru is of the Grandest Keys to Ras
Tafari.

(Taken from the book "Haile Selassie I, and the concept of Enlightenment")

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 5/13/2019 2:27:20 AM

Thankhs for sharing those quotes SonofMan.
With meditation, all of these "Grand Keys" are self-evident...
Some sects, especially within Buddhism ans Hinduism, hold fast to the idea that no one can ascend without the guidance of a teacher or guru. I have always wondered how this is so... if there was never a guru to teach the first ascended master, how did that person come to ascend? If everyone needs a guru, who was the first guru, and what qualities did that person have that the rest of us do not have? The obvious answer, if one overstands that we are all eminations of the source, is that we all have equal potential to become self actualized, no one original guru can claim the only potential to lead oneself into self mastery. So I do agree with the ideas shared here from Baba Kali... but I wouldnt really call them "Grand Keys of Rastafari", I would call them universal truths. Whether one is trodding Rastafari or not, these are all ideas one will come to overstand with introspection. But maybe if I read the book I would see the connection more between Rastafari and what Baba Kali is talking about here.
Selah

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 5/13/2019 6:44:18 AM

Well said sistren!

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 5/13/2019 8:33:45 AM

We all have Gurus though. Be it our parents, siblings, friends, spouses, even books...there is a Guru/disciple relationship within all these relationships. The Keys aren't suggesting that we all must find an ascended master to be our Guru, however, within Rastafari we do have an ascended master.

I agree we all have an equal potential to become "self actualized," but due to circumstance, it will take some much longer than others. There is no one original Guru, if someone claims they are that, I would be wary.

If you consider the Judeo-Christian mindset of so many Rasta, the "universal truths" stated in the Keys are so Grand to Rasta. The sky god concept is one of the most universally detrimental concepts alive today, why Rasta have to keep getting stuck on that?

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 5/14/2019 5:40:16 AM

Thankhs + Love Empress!

Brother SonofMan, I apprecilove the reasoning. I agree that we all get ideas from each other and we all learn things from various people we come into contact with along the way. As well as teaching people that we cross paths with. But I do think there is a huge difference between learning from someone and taking that person as a guru. I have known people who follow a guru. They take that person not as a teacher, but as their only teacher. They follow every word that their guru says, don't question any of it, and if anyone says anything contrary they ignore it. When we learn from people, we hear their ideas, we judge their words against our inner sense of truth, and we decide for ourselves if that statement is correct or not. We can learn several things from one person while disregarding other things that person says as untrue. But if we follow a guru, we don't ask ourselves if their statements are true or not, we don't reject some ideas while accepting others, we let them think for us and accept every instruction that comes from them. This is a huge difference and to me it is the reason why not to follow a guru. But definitely I agree there's nothing wrong with learning from others, finding inspiration in others, and having role models.

I agree that the path to self actualization is longer for some than it is for others. But this is alright. However long it takes, however many lifetimes, the soul will eventually make it to source self. And source enjoys the journey. That's why it manifested into existential form as us. So no worry if the journey is long.

I overstand what the I is saying, that these ideas are essential to Rastas (and non Rastas) who are stuck in a Judeochristian mindset. In that context the book is probably very useful for breaking out of those paradigms. Thankhs again for sharing.

Oneness

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 5/14/2019 6:35:56 AM

Any guru worth following ought to encourage critical thinking and the use of reasoning skills. Following blindly makes no sense in any scenario, but is unfortunately the case with so many and their view of the bible.

When I'm speaking of a Guru in the context of this reasoning, I'm speaking of Haile Selassie I as the role of a Guru.

The Keys are speaking directly to the point of eliminating the sky god concept and embracing His Majesty as the Guru/Savior, who's teachings ultimately should bring us to becoming our own savior, our own Guru...I think we agree on this point, and I always appreciate your balanced reflection.

Selam

Messenger: burningbush Sent: 5/14/2019 8:26:06 PM

man must be guided by religion have you seent it bless

1 - 10

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I