Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=712&start_row=1

1 - 1011 - 13
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: jahlove_72 Sent: 3/19/2005 11:20:12 PM

Greetings and Love

In light of the ever-growing internet Rastafari movement, there is some questionable things being spread. In the spirit of education, I would like to correct an attribution many have made of words to HIM Haile Selassie I. The words are:

"The temple of the most high begins with the human body, which houses our life, essence of our existence. Africans are in bondage today because they approach spirituality through Religion provided by foreign invaders and conquerors. We must stop confusing religion and spirituality. Religion is a set of rules, regulations and rituals created by humans which were supposed to help people grow spiritually.

Due to human imperfection religion has become corrupt, political, divisive and a tool for power struggle. Spirituality is not theology or ideology. It is simply a way of life, pure and original as was given by the Most High. Spirituality is a network linking us to the Most High, the universe and each other. As the essence of our existence it embodies our culture, true identity, nationhood and destiny. A people without a nation they can really call their own is a people without a soul. Africa is our nation and is in spiritual and physical bondage because her leaders are turning to outside forces for solutions to African problems when everything Africa needs is within her. When African righteous people come together, the world will come together. This is our divine destiny."

THESE WORDS ARE NOT FROM HAILE SELASSIE I, but Mutabaruka, as can be read here:

http://www.mutabaruka.com/spirituality.htm

Blessings
Jeff

Messenger: Nyah Jahphet Anbassa I Sent: 3/20/2005 4:56:34 AM

Ises.

Muta just quoted HIM! Or do you also think HIM never did the 1963 UN speech, just because Marley cited a part of it later in the song "War"?

Selah

Messenger: jahlove_72 Sent: 3/20/2005 7:31:40 AM

Greetings

If you can find me the quote from Selassie I, then I will be corrected. Does the Muta web site clearly state, "A quote from Hale Selassie I"? Or does it say, "Spirituality, by Mutabaruka"? I have always questioned that quote, as it sounds NOTHING like Haile Selassie I, and my doubt has been confirmed.

The other famous 'Spirituality' quote from Selassie, "In the mystical traditions of the past..." is, in actuality, Haile Selassie quoting some words of Radhankrishnan from India (not the whole speech, but one paragraph). The event for the speech was Radhankrishnan recieving an honourary degree from Haile Selassie University. Please refer to the collected speeches for the speech in its entirety. It's a beautiful speech, talking about the need to balance all we have learned from both East and West, etc. Another quote that is generally left out by IanI due to HIM bigging up Western culture and philosophy as much as Eastern.

We cannot sacrafice reason and reality for blind faith and misinformation.

Blessings
Jeff

Messenger: the rock Sent: 3/20/2005 8:51:51 AM

"INTRODUCTION
by Mervyn Morris

Mutabaruka (formerly Allan Hope) was born in Rae Town, Kingston, on 26th December, 1952. After primary education he attended Kingston Technical High School, where he was a student for four years. Trained in electronics, he left his first job after about six months and took employment at the Jamaica Telephone Company Limited. During his time at the telephone company he began to examine Rastafarianism and to find it more meaningful than either the Roman Catholicism of his upbringing or the political radicalism into which he had drifted.

In the late 1960s and early 1970s there was an upsurge of Black Awareness in Jamaica, in the wake of a similar phenomenon in the United States. Muta, then in his late teens, was drawn into that movement. Illicitly, in school he read many “progressive books” including Eldridge Cleaver’s Soul on Ice and some that were then illegal in Jamaica, such as The Autobiography of Malcolm X. Muta saw himself as a young revolutionary. But when he deepened his investigation of Rastafarianism, which he once regarded as essentially passive, he came to find its thinking more radical than that of the non-Rastafarian group with which he had associated. While still employed at the telephone company, he stopped combing his hair, started growing locks, altered his diet, and declared himself Rastafarian. A number of his friends thought he was going mad.

After leaving the telephone company, Muta found life in Kingston increasingly unsatisfactory. He and his family left Kingston in 1974 in search of a more congenial environment. They settled in the hills of Potosi District, St. James, in the house that Muta built. Muta has had periods of close contact with the Negril Beach Village, where he explained to guests certain aspects of Jamaican culture. He has talked at great length with many foreigners, and found the experience broadening. To Muta now, Rastafarianism is part of a universal quest which may also be pursued by other routes, such as Hinduism or Buddhism or Christianity. He disapproves, however, of institutionalized religion: the priest “has used your mind/ to make love/ with the/ dead”. Of course the poems of Mutabaruka reflect the man and the specific contexts of his experience. Mostly in Part Two of this volume a number of poems express a search for spiritual understanding, spiritual peace, and are critical of whatever might impede that search:

the man spiritual is above all
the man thinkin is “me”
thinkin on the care of my body
of my worldly possessions
never stoppin to know
that all worldly
things
must
go.

A number of the poems, mostly in Part One, insist on anger as a proper response to black suffering and deprivation. Some of the pieces dramatize the horrors of slavery, and exhort the Black man to proudly remember African origins, to break out of the prison of self-hatred. Many of the poems attack what they perceive as the cultural imperialism of Europe; Muta sees the need for a Jamaican originality of language, > form and attitude which might subvert the hegemony of the British “greats”:

shakespeare/milton/chaucer
still drenchin
the souls of black folks
tryin to integrate
in my life your life.

Muta’s was the first well-publicized voice in the new wave of poets growing since the early 1970s. They have developed a living relationship between a poet and a fairly wide audience such as, in Jamaica, only Louise Bennett has achieved before them. Early work by Muta regularly appeared in Swing, a monthly that gave fullest coverage to the pop music scene. Introducing Outcry (March 1973) John A.L. Golding Jr. wrote:

“In July 1971, SWING Magazine published for the first time a poem by Allan Mutabaruka. Our readers were ecstatic. Since then, and almost in consecutive issues, we have derived much pleasure in further publication of this brother’s works... They tell a story common to most black people born in the ghetto... And when Muta writes, it’s loud and clear.”

That his poems in Sun and Moon (1976), a volume shared with Faybiene, are quieter is one indication of Muta’s particular development.

Like Louise Bennett (and like many of the Black Americans of the sixties whose work they had sampled) the new and popular Jamaican poets write mainly in the unofficial language of the people, feel close to the Black musicians (to whom they sometimes allude), and make good use of opportunities to perform. I can still vividly recall the pleasure of hearing Muta read at the Creative Arts Centre at the University of the West Indies in the early 1970s. He more than holds his own in the company of other skilled performers such as Mikey Smith and Oku Onuora (formerly Orlando Wong) with whom he has recently shared programmes. But though, like the others, he is on intimate terms with reggae lyrics and he sometimes does angry poems, Muta resists the label of “dub poet” as much as “protest poet”: each, he feels, refers to only one aspect of his work.

Granted that many of Muta’s poems are fully realized only in performance, some of them seem to me far more successful than others. My own favourite is “Nursery Rhyme Lament” which, I am told, is now discussed in some of our schools. In “Dan is the Man in the Van”, the famous calypso by The Mighty Sparrow, British nursery rhymes taught in colonial schools are pilloried as absurdly irrelevant in that context; in Muta’s “Nursery Rhyme Lament” they are distorted into local meaning, they are reworked as history into the patterns of harsh reality – water rates, light bills, overpopulation, meat shortages and so on. The poem (especially when performed) is very funny; and deadly serious in the criticism it implies. Another special favourite of mine is “Revolutionary Poets” – “revolutionary poets/ ave become entertainers” – with its multiple ironies, including some that surely touch that poem itself. If few of the other pieces in this volume seem as fully achieved as these, this is, after all, a collection of “the first poems” in which the voice of the young Mutabaruka speaks to and for a host of troubled young people.

Mervyn Morris
Kingston, 1980

This dose not say that every thing that Muta write is 100 percent from his owne thoughts, its say he looked at the world and then was wrought the time how he saw them.If someone writea something you can bet that it was not the frist the time it was writen , or the frist time that someone thought of it.(for myself)I look at my part of JAH work and try to bring them togethere with what i know is truth(already writen).Maybe Mutabaruka can answer where the idea came from.
"The other famous 'Spirituality' quote from Selassie, "In the mystical traditions of the past..." is, in actuality, Haile Selassie quoting some words of Radhankrishnan from India (not the whole speech, but one paragraph"...

I have a book writen by the Radhankrishnan(asitis) great Spirituality truth, my youth write from it.

We as people need to know that JAH work through man and if one man says something, that another man said, you should just her the truth and power in what he is saying.This not the same as just beleiveing the lie, cuzs know one is lieing here, in this case...respect and love to the I

onelove

Messenger: Nyah Jahphet Anbassa I Sent: 3/20/2005 10:20:14 AM

Ises.

First of all, no where it is said, that this lyric was written by Muta, it is just obvious that he used it.
Second, it also says: "War" by Bob Marley, so do you also say, that it were Marley's words and not HIM's??

And I do not know WHICH Haile Selassie I you are talking about, but the one I mean lived his whole life by the words of this speech and never acted differently!

And by the way, I didn't read this speech first on the internet, I read it in the "Members of a New Race" Haile Selassie speech collection book, published by Malawi Brethren who knew for shure WHOSE texts they used in this book.

The whole thread seems a bit naive to me... not to say ridcolous.
Nuff said from I side... to me it is clear WHO copied this text, if YOU don't see this then do further researches.

Selah

Messenger: jahlove_72 Sent: 3/20/2005 11:12:01 AM

Greetings

No use arguing with you...you are the one that is coming off a bit naive. I am only trying to establish a credble source, of which you cannot produce. Just one more blind follower of whatever some one puts out there and credits to HIM. Are we looking at the same web site? It CLEARLY says, Mutabaruka Lyrics- Spirituality. And yes, every time I see Bob's War song, it has a credit underneath about Selassie's speech. If Muta didn't write these words, maybe he should say so. Also, if you could look in your book for a source to the speech I would appreciate it.

You see, I am a historian (no, not his-tory, but "historiographia" - investigation), and the source for me is critical.

Also, I refuse to be just a blind follower, just accepting what others say HIM said, that is why I am interested in this. If I wanted to be a blind follower I wouldn't have left the church and started on the Rasta path 16 years ago.

Blessings Still
Jeff

Messenger: the rock Sent: 3/20/2005 11:19:05 AM

seen, teach on..

Messenger: jahlove_72 Sent: 3/20/2005 11:22:35 AM

Greetings Rock

Give Thanks for the info. I love Muta, and have nothing against the lyrics in question, only who wrote them. I have seen these words posted over and over on the net, but still, NO ONE can find the source. Because an African Brother wote a collected speeches book and included that in there, does not give credence, unless he gave the source of the speech. Otherwise I am not entirely convinced.

I still haven't figured out why certain ones get so angry and defensive when bringing these questions to the table, especially how they might feel that HIM ate meatballs and drank an occasional glass of wine. They get all puffed up and vexed, like Selassie can only fit into their vision of what he was supposed to be, versus what the historical reality of the man's life and culture was. Personally, the more I investigate and learn about the life of Haile Selassie I, the more the love grows for HIM! 16 years ago I started off on this path and was told by an Elder not to leave any stone unturned, and that is what I do. I do not have time for blind faith Rastafari.

Blessings
Jeff

Messenger: Nyah Jahphet Anbassa I Sent: 3/20/2005 1:02:33 PM

Ises.

I do not come to convince anybody... believe what you want to believe, this is not my bizness.
What I say is just, I saw this Speech of HIM from many sources all saying it was HIM speech, long before I saw this speech on the internet. If you trod RastafarI really for 16 years, as you try to make I n I believe, you must have come across HIM Spirituality speech LONG before there was a thing called Internet or Muta's web page. What did you do the last 16 years?? But as I said, this is not my bizness at all.
I have uncountable non-internet and internet(trustworthy) sources stating this Speech was HIM speech, you have ONE source which YOU INTERPRETE as stating it is Muta's speech, which isn't even claimed by the page. I do not know if this is new to you, but among I n I it is very common to quote the King's WORD SOUND POWER.

I see what you really try to say. Yes I personally know Idren who have contact to HIMs cook and others who stated HIM ate meat. So what now?
Just say what you really coming for to say.

Selah

Messenger: jahlove_72 Sent: 3/20/2005 1:21:06 PM

Greetings

I am not here to convince you or prove to you what I have been doing for the past 16 years. I have no hidden agenda. I have been reading His Majesty's speeches, as well as many other Scriptures, for 16 years now. I have always read the Spirituality Speech that he gave at Radhankrishnan's degree ceremony, you know, "In the mystical traditions of the past we have a remarkable unity of spirit..." which is credited and given in full in the OFFICIAL collected sayings of Haile Selassie I, from Ethiopia and the Monarchial government, but I can be honest that up until my time on the net, I have never come across this particular speech that I started this thread with. And to be more honest, from the moment I first read it I doubted its authenticity.

As I said, I am not here with an agenda, nor am I here to prove to you how "rasta" I am, one-upmanship I have left behind. I am only asking for a credibal source, that is all.

Blessings Still
Jeff

1 - 1011 - 13

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I