Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7069&start_row=1

Dreadlocks vs Locs - Pharaoh Rameses El-Aton

1 - 10
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: CarterBlunt Sent: 2/15/2019 5:18:47 PM

I was just thinking of something that was a huge influence on me when I decided to get dreads, and how the psychological aspect of what they meant changed. This is a great video.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/15/2019 6:13:12 PM

Seen this guy on Blacknews102. He is well informed

Great video

Give thanks....I man could never SEPERATE the dread from I. Natty roots Congo dreada dan dreadi locksman Mau Mau black-lion bushman Natty.

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 2/16/2019 11:34:01 PM

Yes it is a great video. Thankhs for sharing Carter.

Yes GA, dreader than dread, Teferi the Dread One, One to Be Feared. I&I
A previous reasoning on "Dreadlocks or just locks"

As a wombman I can say that I prefer a natty dreadlocks man and not a prissy hairstyle man like the video describes. I would never tell I King to twist or make neat his dreadlocks, in fact I don't even groom I own dreadlocks.
But I disagree that covering the hair is a female practice.. to I it is a simply sensical way to keep the hair clean when out and about in the filthy flesh cooking, cigarette smoking, car exhaust blowing world of babylon. Whether tam or bobo crown, I think it is cleaner for man and womban to keep their dreadlocks covered. Unless living in pure nature and also washing frequently. Certain styles of wrapping yes obviously they are feminine looking. But not all hair covering in general looks feminine to I.

Carter you mention "something that was a huge influence on me when I decided to get dreads, and how the psychological aspect of what they meant changed." Can you explain what you mean by that?
The phrase "get dreads" seems contrary to the idea of dreadlocks to me. My neices and nephews are always saying things like this to me "I want to get dreadlocks." And I tell them dreadlocks aren't something you "get", dreadlocks are something you GROW.

RastafarI Love

Messenger: CarterBlunt Sent: 2/16/2019 11:57:37 PM

Oh, that's just 'cus I'm a caucasian man. If I had stopped combing my hair that was already down to my waist, it wouldn't be dreadlocks, it would just be a big ass beaver tail down my back with a bunch of stray hairs around it. I wanted the instantly identifiable dread look! And it would've been impossible to wash. They actually came out pretty authentic looking.

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 2/17/2019 12:24:29 AM

Seen Carter... I have very straight hair (so it seemed when I was conditioning and combing), and had long waist length hair when I stopped combing. Mine stuck together into thin strands and then into thicker dreads after 6 months of stop combing. So yours might have turned out just fine if you didnt do any styling. Not that it matters about "would have should have", since you already did what you did.
But what you said about "instantly"... I would say beware of anything instantaneous, instant gratification, short cuts. It might rob you of an important part of your process of learning and growing. Personally I find that allowing dreads to lock naturally, grow long naturally, is a lesson in patience.
I cant tell you what to do with your hair though. As I just shared in the thread Starting Dreadlocks, I did help a King to form his dreadlocks because he didnt feel he had the time to let that process of dreadlocking happen on its own (because of having to keep up an appearance at his job), and because he wanted more control over the size of the locks, etc. So I am not sure that his two strand twists was really a big difference from the crochet that you did. Honestly I am not even familiar with what it means to crochet dreadlocks.
But I was really asking about your comment, why you got dreads, and what changed about their meaning. What were you referring to there?

Messenger: CarterBlunt Sent: 2/17/2019 2:26:03 AM

My hair texture was wavy, and so puffy and lightweight that you couldn't see my shoulders from the front. When I tried to take a shower and just rinse, it became a matted mess. I started globbing the conditioner on every day just to get a fat toothed comb through it. It took up so much of my time every day, glad that's over.

I think when I first decided I wanted dreads, it was more of an aesthetic choice. A vanity project. That and I was tired of people coming up behind me and calling me "ma'am".

When I started researching dreadlock methods on Youtube, I started realizing I had no idea what kind of dreads I wanted. My favorite natural dreads were these.

But those were just not gonna go over well with my black friends. Like I said, vanity project.

By the time I actually had the chick ready to do my dreads, I'd decided I wanted oversized ones with blunted tips. The crochet hook let her really give them a cylindrical shape and make them super clean. She was a real artist with it.

They were wicks until 3 months later when I got their first maintenance, and she made them lay down. By that time, I had already stopped the palm rolling and all that crap that some people do to keep them from flattening out. The only self maintenance I did was keeping them separated.

Most white people just use the twist-n-rip method, which is a hippy look. I still wanted them all nice and neat. Crochet is definitely better if you want to culturally appropriate with a swagger.

Another 6 months later, I got my final maintenance. I wanted to get the stray hairs to lock in. It didn't work, they strayed right out again in a month or two. I just now twist-n-ripped them into tiny dreads while on Youtube. That's the most maintenance I've done since July.

I'm at the point where instead of vanity dreads, they're anti-vanity dreads. That's how my view of them changed. They have a more natural look now, not a trap or hippy look, which I feel communicates the right individual message to almost everyone.

To some people, I want to be respected as a dread. To some people, I want to feared as a dread. To judgemental people, I just wanna say "fuck you". I feel like my appearance sends a message. Come to me as a mentor type figure, come to me as a human being, come to me as just a cool dude. Or, don't come at me at all, we aren't the same. Or even, stay away from me, I'm bad news. I'm willing to embrace it all, where not that long ago I was kinda neurotic, always trying to fit in, even where I never would.

Besides that, anti-vanity is a good style, it frees up resources and effort so you can focus on more important things. And it reinforces the mentality that I'm not trying to impress anyone, I'm just me.

Messenger: CarterBlunt Sent: 2/17/2019 3:44:56 AM

Wow, I typed a lot of words, I bet not many people are gonna wanna read all that.

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 2/17/2019 5:09:21 AM

Seen and overstood Carter. And no worries, I can be lengthy sometimes too.

Transformation toward spirituality, shedding all forms of vanity, this is a process in its own rite, and I think definitely having dreadlocks (not salon locs or "bathroom locs" as a Natty I know often says, but truly natural dreadlocks) helps us to let go of that focus on appearance.
Give thankhs for that transformation.

Oneness

Messenger: Empress lioness Sent: 2/22/2019 1:52:03 PM

Seen, sister. As a womb man I and I agree in prefer a natty man over the neat look. Also on covering them, although at home Iandi prefer them go free. Ones and ones have told me tighten my dreadlocks but natural feels best. All ever put in them is coconut oil and they tighten naturally after wash.
Wondering if any ones have seen the antenna affect in their dreadlocks in different vibes places... Or is it just mine do sometimes react 😁;;
Blessings 1love

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 2/22/2019 6:04:14 PM

Hail up sistar Empress Lioness. Give thankhs for the I views.
Love of His Majesty!

1 - 10

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I