Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7063&start_row=31

May White Men Be Rastafari?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 109
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/24/2019 8:47:21 AM

So you respond today to what's been said in the past in a different thread? Lol.

You have internalized the reasoning of this thread when my point was only ever a general one. There is no escaping that. No backtracking can cancel that fact.

It's fine. Relax.
Easy

I will not respond to this point further as I am aware of your 'last-word' desire.

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 2/24/2019 8:56:54 AM

Any white Rasta who wants to highlight multicultural ideologies while denying black supremacy (within an Afrikan movement) continues to demonstrate to INI that he/she is not cognizant of their white skin privilege and western mindset.

Period.

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 2/24/2019 9:10:50 AM

MESSAGE TO “WHITE RASTAS” (from a white Rasta)

When I look back on my years of sighting up Rastafari, I see some uncomfortable truths.

My embrace of Rasta was a soul decision for true. I knew that as a white person I had no desire to be affiliated in any way with the system of white supremacy that holds my black sisters and brothers as less, and me, by virtue of my skin, as more.

But in retrospect I have to see how I brought my white privilege right into Rasta along with me.

I, like ones here, said, 'Well we all come from Africa so I am African too.' and 'I am a blackheart woman, black on the inside.'

Which is all well and good to say. But too many white 'Rastas' seem to believe that to say it makes it so automatically. This is a folly.

There is no doctrine one can adopt that automatically confers a 'get out of the bad-guy camp free card.' And that includes Rasta.

White people, even ones of conscience and good intentions, are constantly trying to find ways to make themselves feel better about the system of equality from which they benefit.

Putting on dreads and chanting Rastafari is one way many try.

To truly come into one's cosmic blackness requires a level of ruthless self-examination that few whites are really willing to engage, since it means gaining an extensive knowledge of history and rooting out one by one every assumption based on white privilege.

What we see here all the time is ones who come to tell us all that 'JAH has no colour', that 'Rasta means One Love', that race does not matter. And yet they say they are 'black on the inside'.

These same people are most often unwilling to listen and learn from blacks, to study history, or to engage in their own lives the struggle to dismantle this system, instead believing that to 'chant down Babylon' all one has to do is stop combing and take up some exterior trappings and assume a victim mentality in relatiion to the system, saying, 'see how they persecute me for my beliefs. for my ganja. Now I am one of the sufferahs too.'

This position has no integrity. White people have an 'elite' position on this planet, and each and every one of us benefits DIRECTLY from the system of white supremacy. How ridiculous it is for us to play victim.

Our road is a much tougher one than we would like, especially since we are born to believe that all good things are supposed to come easy to us.

Coming here to squabble with blacks about their 'right' to say they Rasta, instead of devoting their lives and their excess funds and excess leisure time to end this evil that pollutes the world. Whites who are aware have the absolute responsibility to educate other whites. And that means, unfortunately, being among other whites probably more than they would like, having embraced this black philosophy.

Rasta is not an exclusive club that insulates its members from the reality of the world as it is. Rasta is not ganja and dreadlocks and reggae shows and feelgood-ism. This is not how matter is redeemed through spirit.

Rasta is a call to a life of serious work. Our very privilege makes this a bitter pill for many. We don't like to work that hard.

White people in general have a tendency to grab things from any spiritual tradition that feels good to them. Accepting Rasta does not automatically guarantee enlightenment or endarkenment or anything else.

Too many 'white Rastas' see themselves as superior to other whites for having the good sense to reject racist and materialist ideologies. But that is simply false pride, and a continuation of the evil worldview that says ANYONE is superior. The whole point of this exercise we call life is to BE, not merely to REPRESENT. And out of that being, to DO.

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 2/24/2019 9:11:30 AM

Give thanx for the Teachings of His Majesty, His Love, and real people.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/24/2019 9:15:45 AM

Beautifully put Mumma Goddess.

And a nice self examination by the white Rasta you quoted too. A refreshing introspect.

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 2/24/2019 10:19:37 AM

RastaGoddess
As always, I genuinely appreciate your thoughtful reasoning and recognize the sincerity of your stated perspective. In the case of your foregoing post, my observation is that I see it generalizing in some aspects beyond the point of validity and into a realm that verges on the precise mentality we seek to expunge from the earth. I have long accepted that there are many in the world who simply will not forward in this generation and put the vision of His Majesty to reality (not just as an ideology, but to simply live it by seeing Imanity around us day-to-day as One People of One Flesh which is the most natural thing in the world --- the way a baby sees Imanity and knows no different until taught so by Babylon).

I honestly know no White or Black Rastas. I never have. At least no one who called themselves or other Rastas by using those adjectives. The first time I ever saw the expression was on this forum. I've not actually heard the words form the lips of another Rasta, only reads them here on-line.

I think to take one group of people with a particular attribute of skin color and regard them as a monolithic block "privileged class" is extremely simplistic, so much so that it is fails to be a valid characterization, and instead only serves as a conclusion which justifies certain reaction(s).

I see that the mentality that "holds one race superior and another inferior" and/or that regards the color of a man's skin as FAR more important than the color of his eyes is still alive and well throughout the world -- and that the reactions to millennia of racist abuse continue to control the thoughts and actions of people of all races, even those who try to shed that influence.

I honestly feel no guilt for the misdeeds of people in history because of a similarity in the shade of their skin to mine. That's just absurd to my mind's way of processing information (perhaps some people feel such guilt but not me -- I need to focus on getting my own life right, and repenting my personal transgressions). While I certainly recognize that the formal institutions of America the Babylon, from which I hail, strongly favored lighter colored skin throughout much of my life, that did not save me from being on the receiving end of prejudice or from experiencing a disproportionate amount of suffering (so much so that if someone says I'm "privileged" I kind of laugh & ask them if I can go to turn in that "privileged" entitlement for a "No privilege" status). But I digress.

The main point for this Rasta is that His Majesty desired peace in the world and articulated that peace could not be possible until we stop obsessing on our differences and come together as birds of a feather.

As I mentioned before, the computer is kind of a funky little box where I see things that aren't real and encounter some perspectives that have been (thankfully) absent in my personal encounters and relationships with people of different races, nationalities, religions, languages, etc. It's easier to make sweeping generalizations about certain classes of people on an anonymous basis; when we encounter them face to face, we tend to accept, react to and interact with people in a completely different way (i.e., on an individual human basis).

I've had a number of "mentors" in my life who happened to have Black skin -- e.g., in comparative literature, in jazz, in RastafarI, in geology -- and interestingly, none of them ever saw fit to denigrate me as some privileged white man despite the fact that we had very involved discussion of race relations and prejudice. Perhaps, it was because they knew me as a person and recognized that the generalization would be absurd, or perhaps they didn't believe in such a notion -- I don't know -- it just never came up; our relationships were simply as human beings (birds of a feather flying together, if you will).

JAH LOVE. LET'S TRY TO PUT HIS MAJESTY'S VISION TO REALITY, SHALL WE?

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/24/2019 10:32:54 AM

This is where Nesta tries to tell you your ideology is not in line with the teachings of Haile Selassie as HE understands it. And that the idea of BLACKNESS or Africanness has no place in Rastafari despite its origins in very much that
Welcome to JahRastafari.com in 2019

Messenger: Empress lioness 9 Sent: 2/24/2019 10:56:18 AM

Bless, Rasta goddess: that level of thought, introspection, and objectivity was beautiful to read. Summed up so much and eloquently so. This seems to be tough for some ones to grasp. Thankhs so much for the post. Too many skip the philosophy of Rasta and embrace the reggae and ganja like that's enough. One Love is so important but it has a deeper root meaning than just peace, love, and embracing a happy trod. Iandi found it deep and fully truthful.
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 2/24/2019 2:59:57 PM

G.A. - FYI, I was also under the impression that the modern human evolved around 200,000 years ago based upon the remains of a Homo sapiens idaltu, dated to around 195,000 years ago which was recovered from a site at Omo Kibish, Ethiopia. Hence, my assumption for quite some time has been that eastern African was the origin for humans around 200,000 years ago because I thought that those were the oldest known Homo sapiens remains. While reading African history just tonight, I just stumbled across an earlier find of which I was unaware. Remains from an archaeological site called Jebel Irhoud located about 50 km south-east of the city of Safi in Morocco, were originally thought to be younger than the specimens from Omo Kibishm but were later re-dated by more accurate techniques and found to be around 315,000 years old. The Wikipedia entry about Jebel Irhoud says: "This suggests that, rather than arising in East Africa around 200,000 years ago, modern humans may already have been present across the length of Africa 100,000 years earlier."

Just though you might find this interesting. It's new information to me.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/06/world-s-oldest-homo-sapiens-fossils-found-morocco

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 2/24/2019 9:44:29 PM

“This is where Nesta tries to tell you your ideology is not in line with the teachings of Haile Selassie as HE understands it. And that the idea of BLACKNESS or Africanness has no place in Rastafari despite its origins in very much that
...Welcome to JahRastafari.com in 2019”

LOL!!!!!!!!!

If the idea of “Afrikaness” goes against HIM teachings, I wonder what they’d say about the following quotes:

So long as one African lives in subjugation, none of us is more than half free."
"- Haile Selassie I ቀ;ዳ;ማ;ዊ; ኃ;ይ;ለ; ሥ;ላ;ሴ;

"An awareness of our past is essential to the establishment of our personality and our identity as Africans.”

“Africa is our nation and is in spiritual and physical bondage because her leaders are turning to outside forces for solutions to African problems when everything Africa needs is within her. When African righteous people come together, the world will come together. This is our divine destiny.”

APPEAL TO THE LEAGUE OF NATIONS
Haile Selassie
June 1936

I, Haile Selassie I, Emperor of Ethiopia, am here today to claim that JUSTICE which is due to MY PEOPLE.."

"That is why I decided to come myself to bear witness against the crime perpetrated against MY PEOPLE and give EUROPE a WARNING of the DOOM that awaits it, if it should bow before the accomplished fact.

“In greater measure, Ethiopia will continue to support the campaign to end colonialism and will continue to do so until all dependent territories in Africa and elsewhere breathe the clean air of freedom and independence.”

"Our liberty is meaningless unless all Africans are free"

“Racial discrimination constitutes a negation of the spiritual and psychological equality which we have fought to achieve and a denial of the personality and dignity which we have struggled to establish for ourselves as Africans.

“Let Us say, first of all, that Ethiopia considers herself a member of ONE GROUP ONLY - the AFRICAN group. We will join in any deliberations, we will consider any plan, we will debate any proposal anywhere, and at any time, provided that it contributes to the maintenance of world peace, the development of Africa's human and material resources, and the protection of this continent's legitimate interests."
Haile Selassie - 1961”
(Selected Speeches 215)

“Africa has struggled long and determinedly to rid itself of the yoke of oppression and exploitation. Africans now, with the end of the struggle in view, with this long-desired goal in sight, will not willingly see victory wrenched at the last moment from their grasp. Do not seek to perpetrate, in some different guise, the old forms of economic and political exploitation and oppression. If, in truth, the basic struggle in the world today is for the minds of men, then that nation or group of nations which seeks to impose its will upon any African people will most assuredly be vanquished in this struggle. Africa needs and desires and welcomes the help of others, both physical and moral, but Africa must nevertheless be left to develop herself, her people, her resources, as Africans determine. Leave to us, freely and without qualm, the choice between good and evil, between injustice and justice, between oppression and liberty. Our choice will be the right one, and History will judge us, and you, the better for it.”

"There are those who claim that African unity is impossible. That the forces which pull us, some in this direction, others in that, are too strong to be overcome. Let us confound them. And, by our deeds, disperse them in confusion." - Haile Selassie I

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 109

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I