Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7048&start_row=1

Starting Dreadlocks

1 - 2
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 1/29/2019 6:08:33 AM

Greetings and Love
Rastafari

A lot of people over the years have asked me how to start their dreadlocks.
I always had only one answer, "just stop combing, that's how I started mine."
But a lot of people seemed to want a better answer. Maybe wanting more control over the process.
So finally I have a second suggestion, if true freeform is not the way you want to go.
I was watching youtube on the Yannie the Locologist channel recently, and she had a video of starting dreadlocks by using a two-strand twist method.

Basically the twists have to be enclosed at the root and the ends by a three-strand braid or plait. So it goes braid+two strand twist+braid. There only have to be a few links of plaiting to hold the twist in place.

I tried this on a King who had some afro about 3 or 4 inches long, and wanted to start his dreadlocks and make sure that they would be large and thick, he didnt want small strands of locks. Similar to the womban in the Yannie video wanted. I used the exact method as the video, braid, twist, braid.. and I made 24 or 25 twists for him. Then he just left it, and rinsed it with water every day. Within 2 weeks the twists were no longer defined as twists, but looked pretty locked up. Now after a month the locks look as if they locked up naturally from the beginning, there is no trace of twist left. The locks are still defined as the 25 thick locks that he wanted, but just no more twist appearance in each lock.
He has got some new growth at the roots too, and is leaving it as is, not twisting or tightening in any way. Basically he wanted the freeform look but wanted a little more control over how the locks would look, their position and thickness. And it looks great, natural dread. And the best part is that this method requires absolutely no glues or gels or wax. Totally completely natural and free from any residue in the locks, which I love. And it also doesnt encourage breakage or hair ripping out, as the tightening and twisting methods do.

Just wanted to share that for anyone who wants to start their locks in a natural way but with more control than the true freeform method.

Tafari and Menen I love! The balance of Iration

Messenger: Empress lioness Sent: 2/22/2019 11:32:45 AM

Bless for the post. I and I started my Locks with two strand twist then left them alone, gave the little control of width bit left the rest to nature and they come out well.
One love

1 - 2

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I