Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7010&start_row=1

Desiring Respect - Beneath Dreadlocks or a Hijab

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 92
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 11/7/2018 10:01:06 AM

I&i recently trod through North Africa and encountered so many really wonderful Muslim women who seemed genuinely proud of their lives and achievements, and happy with their family relations. i wondered why they (as a group) are depicted in such a negative light in Western reporting which always seems to cast them as oppressed, abused, backwards, etc.

In searching for a view of life as a Muslim woman which was more consistent with what i observed, I came across a book entitled “From my Sisters’ Lips” by Na’ima Roberts who is the daughter of a black S. African mother of Zulu descent and a white S. African father of Scottish descent. Upon reading her positive reflections on her life and those of her Muslim sisters, often in the face of anti-Islamic Western bigotry, I felt a certain spiritual connection as a RastafarI to her and to Muslim women in general. I, and I fellow RastafarI, know what it is like to be misjudged, looked down upon, and mocked because of our religion, our outward appearances, our customs, the color of our skin, and/or our use of ganja. Some of Na’ima’s reflections follow:

“Covered from head to toe with only her eyes visible, the sight of a Muslim woman on a western city street rarely fails to provoke a strong reaction. Feelings of shock, horror, repulsion, pity or even fear are not uncommon. But have you ever wondered who it is behind the veil and what makes her tick? Ever wondered what her life is really like and whether her dreams, hopes and aspirations differ from yours?”

“This is the story of how we came to accept Islam.
These stories are only slices of personal history.
Part of us wants to keep them that way, to keep them private, to protect them.
But another part of us, the stronger part, wants to share this history with you, to take you on this journey too.
To show that Islam speaks to the hearts of people from a thousand diverse backgrounds, in a thousand different ways.
To show how Islam enriches the lives of millions of people, every day, in every way.
To share the heartache and joy of leaving what you know for what you can only imagine.
To show that we have chosen to be and are proud to be Muslim women.
To show that we are striving to hold on to our Islam with all our strength and
that we will hold on, even when it burns like hot coal.
To show that we are of you, that our roots spring from where yours do.
It is only our fruit and flowers that differ, for we are nourished by a different source.”
---------------------------------------------------------------

I&i have been ridiculed and mocked during the course of my life (and even on this website) for my knowledge of the Truth of RastafarI and my commitment to following the Teachings of His Majesty. i’ve grown in recent times to feel a special kind of RESPECT for Muslim women who continue to hold firm to their faith and its Teachings in the face of similar ignorance-based ridicule and mocking.

Messenger: Hemphill Sent: 11/7/2018 12:05:44 PM

Absolutely disgusting, despicable, horrific, and unbelievable... Nesta1 is supporting Sharia Law.. The MOST oppressive system ever divised..

He apparently doesnt know of: Huda Shaarawi (1879–1947) who was an Egyptian feminist who influenced not only women in Egypt but throughout the Arab world. The main symbol and movement was TO REMOVE THE OPPRESSIVE VIEL!! "the harem system, which kept women secluded and veiled. Very wealthy families would have separate buildings and eunuchs to guard the women and act as their messengers to the outer world. The word “harem” actually refers to the rooms in which the women stayed, separate from the men. All women, rich or poor, went outside veiled, except peasant women in the countryside. Veiling and the harem system were cultural traditions of Islam. At the age of 13, Huda was married to her cousin Ali Pasha Shaarawi. In their marriage contract, he had promised to leave his slave-concubine, but she bore him a child a year after their marriage. She challenged the view that women are created for men’s pleasure and in need of protection. In 1923, Huda Shaarawi founded the Egyptian Feminist Union, which is still active as a non-profit today. They focused on various issues, including women’s suffrage and education. Huda was also passionately against restrictions on women’s dress and freedom of movement, which was a central part of harem life."

The viel, hijab, and Sharia Law are so dehumanizing it makes me want to vomit to see Nesta1 openly support it.. He is a devil. He supports this... Muslim man herds women with a stick..

Messenger: Aisha Sent: 11/7/2018 1:33:46 PM

hemphill
did you even read what nesta1 posted? he's talking about respecting women and their life choices. he's talking about Muslim women who are proud of who they are and their faith and how they choose to dress. he doesn't even mention sharia law. what you say shows the exact type of ignorant bigotry nesta1 refers to.

Messenger: Hemphill Sent: 11/7/2018 1:37:56 PM

Defending muslim women who were killed for daring to reject the oppression of the hijab is 'ignorant bigotry' to you. What is wrong with these people? Yes I read what he said. Those women have been beaten into accepting the viel and hijab.. Thats horribly oppressive.. Hence the women trying to be free from it for hundreds of years.. How dont you see this?

Question.. Does 2 + 2 = 4?

As long as 'the west' is demonized within a post, you will swallow anything with it...

Good lord

Messenger: Aisha Sent: 11/7/2018 2:13:02 PM

that not true. nobody ever beat me or women in our community to wear a hijab. these stories must come from people who do not like Islam. this may have happen once but it is not normal. i do not wear the hijab for three years. nobody beat me.

Messenger: Hemphill Sent: 11/7/2018 2:16:19 PM

Tell that to Huda Shaarawi (1879–1947) the original Egyptian feminist who influenced not only women in Egypt but throughout the Arab world. The main symbol of her movement was TO REMOVE THE OPPRESSIVE VIEL!!

Face to palm... Isnt your name, Aisha, the 9 year old girl that Mohammad, aged 53, married and consummated?

Islamic father is arrested for 'beating his four-year-old daughter to death' because she did not cover her head with a hijab while she ate lunch

Messenger: Aisha Sent: 11/7/2018 2:30:21 PM

you sound angry looking for bad stories about Muslim people. there are bad stories about all different people. i don't attend mosque now but respect the faith. i think you do not respect Islam or women.

Messenger: Hemphill Sent: 11/7/2018 2:34:47 PM

Lol I dont care what god someone believes in.. I care about how people are treated. I am here standing for the oppressed women who focused their life on liberation from oppression --Huda Shaarawi-- and you call that disrespect..

Haha

Oh the projection.

I link to events that prove my point. The hijab is fundamentally oppressive.. So much so, that fathers will kill thier daughters for not wearing them........ Or that a man herds veiled women around with a stick.... But no, that's not oppressive.. Thats a herding stick of love! How disrespectful of me to mention that..

Why cant you answer my questions?

Muhommad at age 53 -- according to the Qur'an -- married and had sex with a 9 year old girl named Aisha... Pedophilia much? No?

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 11/7/2018 2:39:52 PM

Thank you, Aisha. You obviously understand what I&i wrote about. i think you are correct that Hemphill does not respect Islam or women. He cares little about your experiences because they do not conform to his hateful preconceived notions. May I&i offer the suggestion that you not waste your time trying to enlighten him.

Messenger: Hemphill Sent: 11/7/2018 2:47:22 PM

You people must be brain dead to not see this..

But in reality.. You're just void... With zero commitment to truth.

'Enlighten him'

BWAHAHAHA

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 92

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I