Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6872&start_row=1

Partner with Mental Health

1 - 1011 - 13
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: I RI Sent: 10/23/2017 4:23:21 PM

I am here to humbly ask your advice. My partner who I love has had ill health since a teenager he is now middle aged. He has dabbled in drugs and had many psychosis (suspected to be initially caused by cannabis irresponsibly) diagnosed with Bi polar OCD anxiety and depression. He has been obsessed with James Joyce's Finnegan's Wake for 15 years. He left me and my young daughter to Ireland only a few days before her birthday for the summer and now he has gone again. He has been reading the Bible and Finnegan's Wake(FW constantly for 15yrs). It is written like the Jabberwoky you can't get head or tail of it. He has become a vegetarian (which is healthy) and stopped his medication for some months which is dangerous as he has been acutely depressed. As a result he has had very little sleep for months 2-3 hours is what is termed as manic in that he needs sleeping tablets to sleep. He smokes canabis but this only keeps him awake for hours and hours. The same with alcohol. My question to you is this is there any psychiatrist out there who has sympathy with Rastafarian teachings. Or is there someone out there who has had bi polar mania who is still taking medicine or not as the case may be. Thank you for your time and understanding community.

Messenger: Black Christ Salvation Sent: 10/24/2017 3:14:35 AM

What would U like him to be?

How would U like him to behave?

What is the Problem?

It could be a good idea for him to start take his Babylon Medication, the Pills and the Injections and so on and so forth with the Anti-Psychotic Drugs.

Have he eaten Lithium? That could work.

Or has he tried Olanzapine? Could also work.

And the Benzodizepides could maybe also calm him down.

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY:

He Must Stop Read the Bible! That book has caused too many people to go insane in the brain.

& also

He Should also STOP SMOKE KANNABIZZ & DRINK ALKOHOL.

I pray these few brief words can be helpfull.

Remember: JAH IS LOVE LET US ALL LOVE

May the Most High Guide & Bless U through out these Tribulations.

Bless Upp!

Messenger: I RI Sent: 10/24/2017 4:33:42 AM

🙏;🏾; Thank you Black Christ Salvation for your help and guidance. I appreciate it so
much. I was surprised that you say he should stop reading the Bible. I think he believes

that being a Rastafarian is about smoking weed and reading the Bible and not taking

his medication. His consultant is very worried about him as this mania without

medication is going to make go crashing down. I want him to be well not manic

or depressed and I want him back as the kind sensitive soul who

always had a focus on the loving connection to us through gentle appreciation and

respect. It is a good suggestion that he take his Babylon medicine with his

medication (if he can avoid tobacco that is great) I worry that what he

smokes my vary so much and may not be 100% natural not homegrown weed but

cannabis. Is it cut with anything else? Also he may not be smoking it

responsibly but continuously through the night. Refreshing guidance it is very

thoughtful. I am very grateful to you for it. Thank you brother with kindness and love. 🌅;

Messenger: peace1 Sent: 10/24/2017 9:07:11 AM

If when your partner comes into contact with his reality, his physical, emotional and spiritual reality and it doesn’t hold him like his tablets did, he needs to either balance his physical emotional spiritual with everything he has, or be more responsible in how he stops taking the tablets, which, if he has been taking tablets for many years may take a long time to do. Engaging with unadulterated reality is hard, for any of us, engaging with one that makes us feel conflicted and rejected or physically ill, even harder but its worth it if he has the commitment and determination. He has you, and your daughter, if he can see his role in husband and father is a great blessing and opportunity, life is where we live our beliefs. He should value his freedom to choose how he lives, though freedom doesn’t mean no rules at all, that soon becomes a trap in itself. Work out what means something to him, what he really believes in and how he can commit to that and not become victim to artificial freedom or intoxication. While we have a body, we need to live in such a way that keeps it alive and healthy, that’s not complete freedom, it requires some choices, usually Rasta choose health because it keeps the body and mind away from those that will enslave it with their concepts and medicines, ideally. What does your partner value about Rasta, how does he want to live?
You cant replace psychoactive drugs with psychoactive drugs though. I would say find out what his motivations are and engage them. Cannabis isn’t a good substitute for tablets and just because it’s illegal doesn’t mean use it irresponsibly. I don’t know about a psychiatrist that is sympathetic with Rastafari teachings, that seems like a contradiction as the current biological psychiatry doesn’t even recognise the value of human relationships, let alone the existence of the soul or other matters that matter. Rasta is an antidote to psychiatry, clean living, Rasta, religion in the right form are meant to prevent psychiatry. Rasta psychiatrist might tell him you can’t plant beans and reap corn. There are psychiatrists that are more responsible that may lead to your partner being better informed and more empowered to manage himself though, look up Peter Breggin, Gabor Mate, Thomas Szaz, but if he believes in a good way of life, show him you support him in that and keep yourself strong, for your daughter’s sake.

Messenger: I RI Sent: 10/24/2017 4:20:00 PM

🙏;🏾; Thank you Peace1 for a well thought out answer. He has his freedom and right to choose and his reality to face his way. I also for my daughter. The concern is the way he

comes down. It would be great if it was gradual but I have a feeling it will be like

someone who is running very fast in the air in a cartoon. Without it being funny (goes

without saying) As 15% of bi polar end in suicide that is a number that is a worry.

What you say about freedom being a cage is very wise and replacing one drug with

another also very true. I hear you. Thank you also for your recommendations of

Psychiatrists. It is tricky to balance but I have a daughter and I also have love for him.

Thank you Peace1 Love is a big picture I like what you say.

Messenger: Path Walker Sent: 10/27/2017 4:20:39 AM

If one’s partner is set on not taking Babylon’s medicine there are some more natural alternatives to consider. St. John’s Wort and a thing Babylon calls 5-HTP are both natural plant substances that can be helpful for those conditions. Both should be available at stores well supplied with vitamin/herbal supplement. I would only try one or the other though as prolonged regular use can be hard on the body’s filtration system just like Babylon pills. Milk thistle can be taken to help with this though. As for sleep difficulties melatonin and valerian root both help. I have dealt with similar issues personally and found these helpful, may peace be found. 1ove

Messenger: I RI Sent: 10/27/2017 1:09:12 PM

🙏;🏾; I am very grateful to you for offering alternatives. It may be that my partner will

want to carry on on this path. In this case it is best to have an open mind for alternative

methods. My fear is that he will be using canabis and alcohol for intoxification. It is likely

that at the moment he may be homeless or living in a squat. He left with a begging bowl

attached to his rucksack. My daughter is young 5 and it is a terrible shock to her but it

has happened before this summer. His reasoning is also a form of rebellion of the rise

of right wing politics. It is definitely been a strange time he has gone to be amongst the

people that need love but left his child. He speaks of Haile Selassie often I hope this

prevents him crashing down but it seems likely he will. Thank you for your support.🌈;

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 10/28/2017 5:13:50 AM

If your partner is diagnosed with bipolar disorder, and is currently manic, the crash is inevitable. Psych meds should never be stopped cold turkey, if anyone's going to stop taking psych meds do so under the supervision of a psychiatrist. Smoking ganja while taking psych meds is playing science experiment with your body, there's not enough data to draw any firm conclusion about what chemical reaction will take place, be it for better or worse.

He can do what he wants until he's become enough of a burden to society, or danger to himself, and then could easily be committed to a psychiatric hospital (I suspect that's already happened in the past). It's difficult to reason with manic people, they usually suffer from delusions, and can be very resistant to treatment. My experience with people suffering from bipolar disorder is due to the subsequent euphoria that comes with mania, they don't want to come down, and tend to distance themselves from those encouraging them to do so. The meds can give a person the ability to function in society and not go through the harsh ups and downs of mania and depression. However, people taking the meds often state that they feel they've given up a part of their self in order to maintain that "normal" function, which creates a sense of internal conflict. One has to weigh the cost vs. the benefits of taking the meds. If not taking the meds means alienating your family and repeatedly having your life hijacked by the mental health system, then I'd take the meds.

Vegetarian diet...sounds good.

James Joyce and the Bible...sounds like a recipe for disaster. Joyce was rumored to have his own mental health difficulties, I'm skeptical about the therapeutic benefit of reading his works while manic...and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Bible authors were a little manic when pen was put to paper. I personally feel that the Bible lends credibility to the delusions of people predisposed and vulnerable, a generally negative impact.

As for a psychiatrist with sympathy to Rastafarian teachings, I have no idea, but it's clear that Rastafarians have risen to many professions, it would not surprise me if there was a Rastafarian psychiatrist somewhere. What difference would that make though? Do you just ask because you feel it would be easier to get your partner the help he needs if you told him you found a psychiatrist that had a positive view of Rastafari?

It sounds like your partner needs help, and lacks the insight to get help on their own. Usually people are limited to the mental health resources that their immediate community offers, unless you have a lot of money at your disposal. You may already be familiar with the resources around you, and if not then it's time to get familiar and decide which one offers the greatest benefit. You have to ask yourself what is the cost of stepping in and imposing society's brand of help. If it means that you prevent someone you love from engaging in harmful behavior and possible suicide, then the choice is obvious. Will they be mad at you for a while and temporarily lose some of their freedom, yeah probably, but again weigh the cost vs the benefit, and consider what is the best realistic outcome that you can strive for.

Out of curiosity, what country do you live in?

Take Care

Messenger: I RI Sent: 10/28/2017 4:08:33 PM

🙏;🏾; SunofMan thank you. I am Welsh my partner is Scottish we live in Wales. He has
never been sectioned. Two attempts tried though so he is getting there. I agree

with everything you have said wholeheartedly I guess I am testing the waters of the

community to gain insight. What I am finding is healthy insight. I was hoping that the

Community might shed light on how to bridge a road towards a solution. It is the

case that he will not take his meds as his mania he is enjoying is too great. At the

moment he is in a tent but he has lost his wallet. He phoned his mother to ask for

money. She agreed to give him enough for food for a few days and the ferry home.

He hasn't declared the card stolen as a new one will come to this address. Would

I post it to him given the choice well I guess I have to but I would really like to pull the

plug and stop this episode. I suppose getting reasoning through is futile.

My hope was speaking to a person in the faith would help him reason but to be

honest I now see it is his illness that is the problem not his faith. Many thanks to you

for your guidance and all giving this their kind attention. 🌅;

Messenger: Black Christ Salvation Sent: 10/30/2017 10:23:57 AM

Blessed Love,

it could be good at least to take a break from reading the Bible since that book has confused too many people and make them go insane.

Read up on this topic: Burn JC and Burn bible

and also this one: RASTAFARI have to go beyond the bible

Hope it helps to get an Higher Innerstanding.

One God, One Aim, One Destinty..One Love

JOHN MARCUS I SELASSIE I JAH RASTAFARI

1 - 1011 - 13

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I