Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6716&start_row=1

Tips for learning languages?

1 - 1011 - 16
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Jah Seeker Sent: 12/1/2016 4:42:14 AM

InI think languages are pure gold and offer to open up new perspectives and realities (spiritual, economical, intellectual) and a skill set everyone should own and expand. The more languages you know, the richer you are. I suggest for ones and ones who are looking to start to download the Duolingo or Memrise app because it is VERY helpful in learning pretty much any major language in the world. Also, what are the tips some have for learning languages efficiently and as quickly as possible? I'm still deciding between Italian and German for my third language, i speak English and Bosnian.

Messenger: Voodooruuts Sent: 12/1/2016 6:43:44 AM

I did Duolingo about a week ago Im starting Spanish, the US second language. I wan do French also for African travels.

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 12/1/2016 11:23:30 AM

Good rizing Idren

I didn't even know there were language apps! How cool is that! As you may know, English is my second language. French is my first, and Spanish, I simply picked up from living in South America for some time.

Jah Seeker, if I may humbly suggest, I would go for Italian. For one, its much more pleasant and melodic as compared to the harshness of German. And once you learn one Roman/Latin language, your ear will easily pick up the others, and Spanish, Portuguese and French will come easily for you. Think of it as 3 for the price of one...LOL

Brotha VDR, living in Louisiana, French should come easy for you. And yes, will definitely give you a "passport" to link with French speaking Afrika, Haiti, and so on.

I love languages. They are a gateway to overstanding other cultures and people, in a fuller sense then other avenues. I've gotten my full of European languages, so next I would love to learn Swahili and Amharic. Oh! and the South Afrikan Bantu "click" language which I find the most beautifully musical of all.

Messenger: Jah Seeker Sent: 12/1/2016 11:37:39 AM

yes i sistren, even though i plan on enrolling into a masters course in Vienna i hope, it will be in English and i already know basic German and can pick up more while there. Italian is much more pleasant and very easy to learn. By the way, i think they have Swahili on duolingo, i don't if it is fully developed but you can check on www.duolingo.com or download the app. Much love and respect.

Rastafari!

Messenger: Voodooruuts Sent: 12/1/2016 1:42:36 PM

Yes Goddess it SHOULD come easy but unfortunately, nah lol. I know a few words and phrases but the different areas where its still spoken its different just about each place. Then there's Creole vs Cajun, I work with two Cajun speakers and understand eachother only with a close ear. When I worked with Spanish speaker I knew more but I mixed with English thought to much, my words were spanish but sintax English.I try to pick up on a lil Igbo from a coworker but his is limited now. Swahili would be nice but like the I Goddess say that "Click" tounge is just unbelievable.

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 12/1/2016 3:47:49 PM

Ises Iyahs
Blessed reasoning.. Give th ankhs
In learning a new language I try to learn the pronouns first, verb conjugations, and basic greetings and polite words. Then branch from there. I find it easier to study a language if I have a human in person to learn from/with. In a classroom or tutor environment, or in an immersive environment like a peer group who speak that language to each other, or traveling in that land.
I tried Kiswahili on Rosetta stone program years ago but I didnt like sitting on the computer enough to stick to it long term. It was effective enough when I did spend time on it, though. If the Is can manage the click,click clicking then it might be helpful. But I remember more from being in Kenya and also reasoning with Idren InciousRas online than from the program. The part I got stuck on is the adjective conjugation, and I would love if some One can tutor I about this..
I will look into these suggested apps too, are they free? That would be a huge upside compared to rosetta stone.

I think the I&I may be referring to the Xhosa language?
Although there are a couple more that use those clicking sounds.

Between Italian and German, the only thing I have to say is that I learned german in high school and found it extremely, beyond extremely simple to learn, partially because it has very strict rules that makes it easy to anticipate even the unfamiliar terms, and partially because it is very much like english, which is my first language. I think of German as the version of english that actually follows its grammar and spelling rules. Being that I have not studied Spanish or Italian, I do not have experience to compare with, but I agree with the Iyahs that Italian can open a doorway to learn other similar languages.
More Love + More Iducation
Bless Ras TafarI

Messenger: Jah Seeker Sent: 12/1/2016 4:05:31 PM

yes both these apps are free and EXTREMELY interesting and interactive. feels like you're playing a game.

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 12/2/2016 9:20:23 AM

Haile I
Give thankhs for Life
Yes JAH Seeker. These games are very fun.
On duolingo I chose Hebrew, and it is helping to move forward with the studies I have already begun. However The program seems not to introduce the aleph bet, or their version of characters, so I am not clear on how a person would learn that on this program, other than guessing?

On memrise I chose German to brush up and Itinue increasing fluency... I started on skilled instead of beginner. It is an okay app but I dont prefer the vocabulary they are using and I would prefer to have other options. For example it uses the sentence "It will be great" and only gives one translation into german, es wird bestimmt großartig. That is not the only way to say that sentence, and it is not even translating it fully because "bestimmt" means truly, but the english version doesnt say "truly great" just "great". To say it will be great, I would say es wird spitze or es wird toll. But those are criticisms that I can give only because I already know the language. For those learning the first time it might be less frustrating.

On both of these apps there is no option to learn an Afrikan language. Not even Kiswahili which is a widely spoken language which foreigners have easily learned, it would not have been any more difficult to include than the course in Korean, yet both apps leave out Afrika completely. A coincidence or by design?

I see on google play store that Rosetta Stone has a free app now. That is in contrast to the hundreds of dollars their cds used to cost. However their app does not offer Kiswahili either (although their cds used to offer it), nor any other Afrikan languages.

ፍ;ቅ;ር; እ;ና; ሃ;ይ;ለ;
Upendo na Nguvu

Messenger: Jah Seeker Sent: 12/2/2016 9:33:35 AM

On duolingo Swahili is almost complete, i checked yesterday, they say on the site that the course will be functional on the first of January next year. Blessed.

Messenger: Jah Seeker Sent: 12/2/2016 9:33:35 AM

On duolingo Swahili is almost complete, i checked yesterday, they say on the site that the course will be functional on the first of January next year. Blessed.

1 - 1011 - 16

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I