Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6634&start_row=11

Marcus an Bob in de Ible

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 23
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Voodooruuts Sent: 8/30/2016 1:21:14 PM

My thoughts is that African diasporans had long been view His Majesty in an heightened light before Garvey declared "look to the East". When it said Garvey declared this Ras Tafari had already been crowned Negus Tafari. If ones were turned to Tafari after Garvey's speech why would they identify with RAS and not Negus , which he known by at that time? I would Africans were already adoring HIM as a Ras before becoming Negusta Negast!

Messenger: Ras InI 7 Sent: 8/30/2016 2:14:03 PM

There has been what is known as the Ethiopian Movement or Ethiopianism before Haile Selassie I was crowned. For example the Battle of Adowa was a big event for many in the diaspora.

Maybe Rastafari people called themselves Rastafari as a subordinate title (to the now crowned Emperor) for themselves instead of "Selassians" or something similar. Or maybe it sounded better or was out of chance. Like, it's just how it came to be.

Messenger: Ras InI 7 Sent: 8/30/2016 2:34:29 PM

Although as you probably know, Leonard Howell is sometimes called "The first Rasta". As he, and a number of other people, declared Haile Selassie I to be God, right after the coronation in 1930.

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 8/30/2016 2:38:08 PM

In his capacity as president general of the Universal Negro Improvement Association (UNIA), Garvey sent a cable to His Majesty Ras Tafari that read

"Greetings from Ethiopians of [the] Western World. May your reign be peaceful, prosperous, progressive. Long live your Majesty."

That communique was printed in the New York-based Negro World newspaper on November 8, 1930. On that same day, Garvey published an article in his Jamaican newspaper, The Blackman, that read:

"Last Sunday, a great ceremony took place at Addis Ababa, the capital of Abyssinia. It was the coronation of the new Emperor of Ethiopia -- Ras Tafari. From reports and expectations, the scene was one of great splendor, and will long be remembered by those who were present. Several of the leading nations of Europe sent representatives to the coronation, thereby paying their respects to a rising Negro nation that is destined to play a great part in the future history of the world. Abyssinia is the land of the blacks and we are glad to learn that even though Europeans have been trying to impress the Abyssinians that they are not belonging to the Negro Race, they have learned the retort that they are, and they are proud to be so.

Ras Tafari has traveled to Europe and America and is therefore no stranger to European hypocrisy and methods; he, therefore, must be regarded as a kind of a modern Emperor, and from what we understand and know of him, he intends to introduce modern methods and systems into his country. Already he has started to recruit from different sections of the world competent men in different branches of science to help to develop his country to the position that she should occupy among the other nations of the world.

We do hope that Ras Tafari will live long to carry out his wonderful intentions. From what we have heard and what we do know, he is ready and willing to extend the hand of invitation to any Negro who desires to settle in his kingdom. We know of many who are gone to Abyssinia and who have given good report of the great possibilities there, which they are striving to take advantage of.

The Psalmist prophesied that Princes would come out of Egypt and Ethiopia would stretch forth her hands unto God. We have no doubt that the time is now come. Ethiopia is now really stretching forth her hands. This great kingdom of the East has been hidden for many centuries, but gradually she is rising to take a leading place in the world and it is for us of the Negro race to assist in every way to hold up the hand of Emperor Ras Tafari."

Messenger: Voodooruuts Sent: 8/30/2016 4:35:22 PM

Ok Goddess I see, give thanks!

Somewhere its said of Howell, that in a Jamaican news paper its written of him saying he joined the "Rastafarites" in Harlem and soon returned to Jamaica to preach its doctrine!

I dont wan go off but my initial point I was trying to conclude to is way off now lol

Messenger: I-Man Sent: 8/31/2016 6:22:34 AM

Howell was an Howellite, not a Rasta think I.

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 8/31/2016 10:05:38 AM

LEONARD P. HOWELL: THE FIRST RASTA

Leonard P. Howell was born in the parish of Clarendon, on June 16. At an early age, he migrated to the United States, where he joined Marcus Garvey's Universal Negro Improvement Association (UNIA).

Soon, Howell became one of Garvey's top-brass members, but Garvey and the UNIA were constantly under the radar of US authorities, which eventually arrested and charged Garvey for various crimes. Garvey was deported in 1928, and Howell was to follow him in 1932.

But Howell's activism switched from Garveyism to one that focused on the importance of Selassie I. He saw Selassie as the great Black Messiah, and he established the King of Kings Mission out of respect for Selassie, and appointed himself Selassie's representative in Jamaica. He also wrote the first book about Rastafarianism, The Promised Key.

In 1933, soon after his return to Jamaica, Howell stepped up his preaching on Selassie, which, in addition to his faith healing practices, earned him a huge following. In his book, Overstanding Rastafari - Jamaica's Gift to the World, Yasus Afari says, at the beginning of the 1930s, "the streets of Jamaica (Kingston and St Catherine in particular) were energised by the inspired preaching and teachings of the Honourable Leonard Howell, ONE OF THE EARLIEST RASTAFARI PIONEERS"

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20140202/news/news41.html

Messenger: I-Man Sent: 8/31/2016 1:23:06 PM

Yes but his doctrine is a little bit different compared de doctrine of Rastafari but in a way he's the first rasta.

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 9/1/2016 7:00:34 PM

Howell's philosophy is unequivocally Rasta.

"Howell became the most successful teacher of Rastafari doctrine. He enjoined black people to be PROUD of heritage and culture, to have their own “Money” Banks, be self-motivated, strong self-sufficient, where black economies would triumph and to hold high the value of education. Furthermore, he preached to show respect, love and honor. He said, “The white mans doctrine has forced the black man to forsake silver and gold and seek heaven after death. It has brought us to live in disgrace and die in dishonor”

Howell was a man of great vision, and mystic spirituality. He created codes and principles based on the teaching of His Imperial Majesty, Haile Selassie 1 and developed the Nyahbinghi Order (a mystical religious order) that defined “death” by the Divine Creator to the blacks and white oppressors. Years later Howell formed “The Ethiopian Salvation Society”

Before his death in 1981 Howell once said:

" I am convinced that the children we are teaching today, will become vanguards and guardians to our freedom tomorrow and better citizens to defend our democracy and to ensure that generations to come will learn from the Holocaust of slavery, and keep the flame of remembrance burning. Help them to understand more about the past, that our history NEVER repeats itself so that we can create a better future for all human race.”

http://www.assatashakur.org/forum/shoulders-our-freedom-fighters/27436-leonard-percival-howell-faher-rastafarian-movement.html

Messenger: I-Man Sent: 9/3/2016 7:36:39 AM

Tanks RG for dis, now see I for what Leonard Howell was de first rasta. Know I his doctrine and what he create as de Pinnacle, but in a video a rastaman explain that Howell was an Howellite and not a rasta cuz ( and dat tru) that Howell have some ideas different of de idea of rasta people.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 23

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I